Any Inexpensive Surveillance Video Options for Rental Property?

Any Inexpensive Surveillance Video Options for Rental Property?

Investor · Jacksonville Beach, FL · Member since 2016 · 33 posts · 9 votes
Hi BP, I'm looking for a cheap video surveillance option to keep an eye on my rental property. This was a request of a tenant who had her vehicle stolen from the driveway, and something I want to do to ensure my tenants feel safe and secure. What have you all used in your experiences? Looking for a low cost option that can be used outdoors to watch the driveway and those coming in and out of the home. Thank you, Kurt
0Reply
57 views

Most Popular Reply

Homeowner · Fairmont, WV · Member since 2014 · 95 posts · 19 votes
9y
Originally posted by @Kurt Stein:

Thank you all for the responses. Are there monthly costs associated with these systems? Where is the data stored? What if the tenants don't have wifi?

 The available options for the various aspects of a security system are too numerous to mention. You'll have to do research to see what options a particular system has available. I'm currently working on a renovation after a fire and will be installing at least 14 cameras in and around my building as part of the rebuild.

I'm going with a DVR system. I don't want cloud-based storage, which costs extra. I don't like not having control of my data, not to mention cloud-based storage is typically so limited that it would roll off most likely before I knew I needed it. I'm getting color night-vision. All cameras will be IP-based using PoE (power over ethernet) so I'm having cat5 cable ran to where all the cameras will be located. The data will be sent directly to the DVR where the software is hosted. Some systems allow network-based storage to be connected or they may provide only software and you buy the hardware. I prefer the DVR-based solutions. 

You shouldn't make this be dependent in any way on the tenant. For my system, I'm having a coax drop installed with TimeWarner so the internet access to view the feeds is available with a smartphone app. The power will be on the landloard breaker panel, etc. My property is a multi-tenant apt building. For a single family rental, you won't have a choice of having some dependency on the tenant unless you end up paying for the required utilities to avoid issues with their not paying and then you lose footage/access as a result.

I recommend talking to a consultant in your area to discuss what you want. They can ask you questions and you tell them what you want. They will then find a system that meets your requirements. You can then negotiate from there to add/remove features. Cameras can be mixed and matched to some degree with the recording units. And there are many different types of cameras (quality of the footage, quality of construction, features, etc.). I'm aiming for cameras that are about $200-300 each because I don't want to take any chances of having issues when an incident does occur. My system will probably end up costing about $4k but I don't have the final estimate yet. I believe my contractor is going to be choosing Lorex brand, which are about mid-level cost-wise from what he says. He also mentioned Vivotek. Those may or may not be too high-grade for what you are desiring. But that's what you have to figure out: what do you want? Then go from there. There are just about as many options as there are when buying a vehicle. Do you want a truck, car, SUV? Then you decide from there with more specific details.

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · New York Mills, NY · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    Try Harbor Freight.

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2011 · 188 posts · 116 votes
    9y

    If you're looking for something easy, with little to no wire run, a wireless IP camera will do the job.  They about $30 to $70 and only require power, wifi network, and a SD card.

  • Kevin FoxPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · San Diego, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 635 votes
    9y

    Hey @Kurt Stein

    I'd recommend something similar to: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/night-owl-ahd-indoor-o...

    I can't figure out for the life of me why so many people forgo buying low/no-light surveillance cameras. Call me crazy - but I think that spending the extra $20-$30 up front is well worth not having to call Horatio Cain from CSI Miami to distinguish the dark blob your camera might have captured scurrying across the driveway at 2:13 AM. LOL

    Also, assuming that it wouldn't be completely out of the norm for the neighborhood, I suggest you invest in a few of the "WARNING: Property is Protected by Video Surveillance - Recording in Progress" signs and post them around the property. [AKA - "STOP: My neighbor does not have alarm/Surveillance systems -You'll have better luck there" (Kidding!... kind of.)] Crimes like car theft are almost always opportunistic to some extent, so just making clear that you aren't the easiest target will go a long way.

    Aside from being added value for prospective tenants, the cameras/signs should also help to cut down repair/legal costs by deterring vandalism/squatting during vacancy. Those are, of course, much less dire situations than having your car stolen or home burglarized - but having windows broken or the inside/outside of a property tagged with spray paint are things that can and do happen rather frequently in some neighborhoods, unless steps like these are taken. 

    Best of luck in finding a resolution. Let us know what you ultimately decide to do!

    Kevin

  • Investor · Jacksonville Beach, FL · Member since 2016 · 33 posts · 9 votes
    9y
    Thank you all for the responses. Are there monthly costs associated with these systems? Where is the data stored? What if the tenants don't have wifi?
  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2011 · 188 posts · 116 votes
    9y
    If the tenant doesn't have wifi, you'll have to run wires to a DVR if you're using analog cams, or a router/NVR if you're using IP. You could also just provide a router if you don't want to run wires.
  • Homeowner · Fairmont, WV · Member since 2014 · 95 posts · 19 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Kurt Stein:

    Thank you all for the responses. Are there monthly costs associated with these systems? Where is the data stored? What if the tenants don't have wifi?

     The available options for the various aspects of a security system are too numerous to mention. You'll have to do research to see what options a particular system has available. I'm currently working on a renovation after a fire and will be installing at least 14 cameras in and around my building as part of the rebuild.

    I'm going with a DVR system. I don't want cloud-based storage, which costs extra. I don't like not having control of my data, not to mention cloud-based storage is typically so limited that it would roll off most likely before I knew I needed it. I'm getting color night-vision. All cameras will be IP-based using PoE (power over ethernet) so I'm having cat5 cable ran to where all the cameras will be located. The data will be sent directly to the DVR where the software is hosted. Some systems allow network-based storage to be connected or they may provide only software and you buy the hardware. I prefer the DVR-based solutions. 

    You shouldn't make this be dependent in any way on the tenant. For my system, I'm having a coax drop installed with TimeWarner so the internet access to view the feeds is available with a smartphone app. The power will be on the landloard breaker panel, etc. My property is a multi-tenant apt building. For a single family rental, you won't have a choice of having some dependency on the tenant unless you end up paying for the required utilities to avoid issues with their not paying and then you lose footage/access as a result.

    I recommend talking to a consultant in your area to discuss what you want. They can ask you questions and you tell them what you want. They will then find a system that meets your requirements. You can then negotiate from there to add/remove features. Cameras can be mixed and matched to some degree with the recording units. And there are many different types of cameras (quality of the footage, quality of construction, features, etc.). I'm aiming for cameras that are about $200-300 each because I don't want to take any chances of having issues when an incident does occur. My system will probably end up costing about $4k but I don't have the final estimate yet. I believe my contractor is going to be choosing Lorex brand, which are about mid-level cost-wise from what he says. He also mentioned Vivotek. Those may or may not be too high-grade for what you are desiring. But that's what you have to figure out: what do you want? Then go from there. There are just about as many options as there are when buying a vehicle. Do you want a truck, car, SUV? Then you decide from there with more specific details.

  • Investor · Pearland, TX · Member since 2016 · 246 posts · 136 votes
    9y

    dropcams are the easiest to setup, but they're not cheap ($15 cheaper at amazon)

    these have a monthly fee if you want it to record.

    https://nest.com/camera/meet-nest-cam-outdoor/

    i have a dropcam and 5 cheap refurbished foscams around my house, they've worked great for a few years w/out issues

    these can be setup to record with some computer apps or built in memory.

    https://www.amazon.com/Foscam-FI8910W-Network-Came...

    i've seen the internal ones  bolted outside of houses and working great as long as you try to put them where weather won't bother them. (bolted under the eaves)

  • Homeowner · Fairmont, WV · Member since 2014 · 95 posts · 19 votes
    9y

    I'll add that a while back (about 4 years ago) I bought some Logitech Alert cameras for my house. I bought 2 outdoor cameras. We got them from Best Buy at a discount since my wife worked for them at the time. The software that came with them was Windows-based and I just installed it on my personal computer. The video/audio footage is stored there as well. Motion detected is available and so is black/white night vision. We just mounted them to the soffit of the house. The cams retailed for $250 each. I don't believe Logitech sells this line anymore; I think they have a different product line that supersedes this one.

    Since then AT&T has also released their own set of cameras and software which stores everything in the cloud. I didn't like their design because there was limited cloud storage so you may only get a couple days to review the clips before they rolled off (and it didn't seem to be proportional to the # of cameras you buy either, which isn't fair or adequate). AT&T did allow financing of the equipment though. TimeWarner and/or Comcast have their own product line as well. All these are for residential use though but it means they are cheaper so they would fit your budget better. The TW/Comcast one may not work for you though if having it billed would conflict with the existing tenant's service.

  • Rich N.Pro Member
    Investor · Haverhill, MA · Member since 2015 · 761 posts · 328 votes
    9y

    I bought a low cost one with 8 cameras for 300 bucks or so.  It has wifi capabilities but I do not use that featured yet.   It will require internet access and that runs about 40-50 dollars a month around my neck of the woods. So, I just rely on the local recording for now (the unit is locked in my secure basement area).

    Make sure you go with the 720p or 1080p cameras at a bare minimum.  Do not use the 960H.  The prices between the two systems is negligible.

    Make sure you buy a system with a Hard Drive for local storage that is at least 1TB or more, not the 500GB (1TB - stores about 2 weeks and 500GB barely stores a weeks worth.  This is recording a main area camera 7x24 and the rest on motion detection.

    Note: The cameras are expensive to buy afterwards by itself, so I put up and angle 7 cameras to cover all sides allowing to keep 1 as a spare.

  • Real Estate Agent · Carmel, CA · Member since 2015 · 193 posts · 128 votes
    9y

    i use Ubiquiti Unifi Video.  I have a server running at my office that (as long as I have a static IP), any camera in the world can connect to.  

    Downsides are that it does require an active internet connection at the location of the camera, and they are more expensive that the Costco specials...

  • George DespotopoulosBusiness Member
    Lender · New York, NY · Member since 2016 · 936 posts · 287 votes
    9y

    Hi, I was looking into this for personal use. I was recommended

    https://www.amazon.com/Nest-Cam-Outdoor-Security-C...

    1080p HD, cloud-recording (I believe extra monthly fee), and 130° wide-angle view. 

    I think I'm going with two of these, holding out till Monday, hopefully the price drops.

    MoFin Lending4.9152 Reviews
  • Investor · Jacksonville Beach, FL · Member since 2016 · 33 posts · 9 votes
    9y
    Has anybody tried the Arlo cameras? Pros and Cons of using them?
  • Investor · Jacksonville Beach, FL · Member since 2016 · 33 posts · 9 votes
    9y
    Yes, John Anderson I was actually just out looking at cameras today. I will probably pull the trigger tomorrow (cyber Monday). But yes, it'll definitely be at my expense, not the tenants.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.