Tenant evicted by sheriff, but they still want their stuff (CA)

Tenant evicted by sheriff, but they still want their stuff (CA)

Fremont, CA · Member since 2016 · 1 post · 0 votes

So the 15 days have already passed (they were removed by the sheriffs so a notice was given to them in person) and the people have failed to collect everything. 

The value of the stuff that is below the $700

A while has passed and now they want to collect the rest of the stuff that works. 

Can I legally ask for money for basically storing their stuff on my property?  I know I can tell them to pound sand since I went through all the legal venues to get them out.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you 

0Reply
25 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    9y

    In my area , when you evict , everything goes to the street . NOTHING left in house 

  • Jerry W.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Thermopolis, WY · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    You will have state laws that cover this.  You need to learn those laws and follow them exactly to protect yourself.  Even Wyoming has laws on left over property requiring sending notice and what to do with abandoned property, I am positive CA has a whole bunch of laws on it.  Find them out.

    For my 2 cents, I am not in the used property business.  The hassle of dealing with folks, of storing stuff, etc is way more than the value of any junk they left.  I have always told them to come and get their stuff.  If they don't answer my notice I give it away or throw it away.  There are charitable organizations that will often take the whole lot and throw away what they do not want for you.

    Good luck either way.

  • Lender · Greater LA/Orange County area, CA · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    my normal practice is to inventory personal property, document by video and move offsite using 3rd party service and storage or PODS. 

    I've yet to find a Ferrari left in the garage although the home across the street left a Maserati (begore they they were good again), Point is, rarely is there anything worth messing with.

    My objective is to relocate so as there is no reason for former tenant to return to the property and risk a dramatic scene or an attempt at re-possession. NEVER let them back inside without security person lest they lock the door from inside and start the eviction process all over. Seriously.

    My advice: give them their crap, and your blessings, and be grateful that your roles are not reversed!

  • Bill S.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Bill Reyes so perhaps @Al Williamson would know the answer to your question which is very location specific and he is based in California. Sometimes counties have additional requirements beyond the state law.

    There are a couple of books that I have seen recommended here that you might want to get on your shelf. The local library might have a copy so you don't have to wait. They are.

    The California Landlord's Law Book: Rights & Responsibilities

    The California Landlord's Law Book: Evictions

    If the titles are representative of the content then they should have some of the info you are looking for.

  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    In my experience the tenant can collect property with 24 hour notice, and your required to give it to them. Make them sign for what they take, I was able to bill them for storage fee's. unfortunately they rarely took it all in one trip and I had  to make it available for pick up for 30 days.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.