Newbie for Property Management Company in Florida

Newbie for Property Management Company in Florida

Investor · Brandon, FL · Member since 2017 · 178 posts · 67 votes

I recently got a job as an assistant property manager at a small, but established property management company in St. Pete, Florida. Unfortunately there was massive turnover, because the previous management didn't care anything about organization, collecting rent, or showing up to work.

Basically, I will be responsible for establishing and maintaining functional systems. We are getting some sort of "rental property management software or system" next month, but for now we are working out of spreadsheets. 

Where should I first be focusing my energy in order to really help this company? I am thinking a list of tenants and if they have paid rent. What do you think?

1Reply
12 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brian PheltPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 234 posts · 85 votes
    9y

    Matt,

    As a property manager myself, if I were in your shoes I would begin focusing on developing processes and procedures (written).  We have checklists for the staff to follow so things are always done the same way every time.    I feel these fall in line with the functional systems you referenced.  Also, take the time to truly research what software you choose.  Whatever path you go down will requires substantial time and effort to implement, so choose something that is flexible and scalable for future growth.  We recently made the switch to Appfolio and have been very happy. 

    Best of luck.  Im sure you will do well.

  • Investor · Brandon, FL · Member since 2017 · 178 posts · 67 votes
    9y

    My property manager quit yesterday because she didn't want to buckle down and get the train moving, leaving me left in the dark. I guess she just wanted to rent houses.

    This gives an opportunity to get all systems in place an organized the office. Any tips would be appreciated. 

    Have you ever inherited a mess?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.