Tenant using Basement Washing Machine for Free

Tenant using Basement Washing Machine for Free

West Hartford, CT 路 Member since 2015 路 42 posts 路 9 votes

Hey all,

I just need somewhere to brain dump.

My tenant moved in about a year ago. I told her that we do not offer any washer or dryers with the unit. 

In the basement of my duplex, I have a washer and dryer in the basement that works intermittently. It'll run but wouldn't clean the clothes or dry it properly so I was in the process of throwing it out.

It turns out that while I've been away, she's been going downstairs to clean her clothes and using the dryer. 

Mind you, she pays all of her own utilities in her unit. The basement however is under my name so I'm covering the electricity being used by the dryer and the water by the washer.

So here's my thought process:

Do I tell her to stop using it? I feel that this will hinder her chances of being a long term tenant. She pays for her own utilities. She will have to go out of her way to go to the laundromat. All in all inconvenient. 

Do I charge her a monthly fee? $10? $20 extra? If so, how do I approach this? I'm not sure how I can word this if the machines themselves aren't running properly.

Do I cut the cord and have the washer and dryer hauled away? I'm not a fan of having to worry about extra maintenance and servicing and worrying about the water/electric bill. It doesn't make sense for me to get a coin op for a duplex financially.

What're your thoughts? I'm in a B+ neighborhood. I feel that if I knew she was going to be using the washer and dryer, I could've gotten a higher rent. Currently she uses the machines downstairs albeit I'm not sure how much. I've gotten the electric bill and the water bills with no noticeable increase. Then again it's the principle that she's using the washer and dryer.

I can't lock the basement because she may need access to it in case of an emergency (power jumps, heater doesn't work, etc)

Am I overthinking this?

Thank you so much.

0Reply
189 views

Most Popular Reply

Flagstaff, AZ 路 Member since 2016 路 44 posts 路 60 votes
9y

I think you're overthinking this. 25 extra dollars a month to use a washer/dryer seems excessive to me. 

This is a situation were being a penny pinching, 'get all you can' landlord is beaten out by being a human being. She's already paying your mortgage, let her have the faulty washer/dryer in her basement.

See this reply in the discussion

41 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor 路 Atlanta, GA 路 Member since 2013 路 3k+ posts 路 3k+ votes
    9y

    Have a sit down with her and remind her that she rented the unit without washer/dryer. Ask her if it'd be worth it to her to pay an extra $ 25/month for the use, but that she'd have to pay repair, if they quit working? 

  • Flagstaff, AZ 路 Member since 2016 路 44 posts 路 60 votes
    9y

    I think you're overthinking this. 25 extra dollars a month to use a washer/dryer seems excessive to me. 

    This is a situation were being a penny pinching, 'get all you can' landlord is beaten out by being a human being. She's already paying your mortgage, let her have the faulty washer/dryer in her basement.

  • Natalie KolodijBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Tax Strategist| National Tax Educator| Accepting New Clients 路 Member since 2014 路 3k+ posts 路 4k+ votes
    9y

    This is something I would bring up on principal. I would never just assume I could use something that didn't belong to me and wasn't included in my rental. 

    Does her unit have washer dryer hookups? 

    Does it make sense to have these be a pay-to-use washer dryer in the basement? Could they be repaired and be a cash flow generator for your property? 

  • West Hartford, CT 路 Member since 2015 路 42 posts 路 9 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Michaela G.:

    Have a sit down with her and remind her that she rented the unit without washer/dryer. Ask her if it'd be worth it to her to pay an extra $ 25/month for the use, but that she'd have to pay repair, if they quit working? 

     I could go about this. I'm just not sure if I'm being reasonable or overthinking it if I ask for an increase in rent due to the washer/dryer. 

    Thanks for the input Michaela!

  • West Hartford, CT 路 Member since 2015 路 42 posts 路 9 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @MIchael Rickerd:

    I think you're overthinking this. 25 extra dollars a month to use a washer/dryer seems excessive to me. 

    This is a situation were being a penny pinching, 'get all you can' landlord is beaten out by being a human being. She's already paying your mortgage, let her have the faulty washer/dryer in her basement.

    I felt the same way. I'm not sure if I'm being a penny pinching greedy guy for charging to use the washer dryer. 

    The only problem is that how will I ever monitor the water and electrical usages of letting her use the washer dryer? What's stopping her from doing her boyfriends laundry?

    Maybe I haven't thought it out yet. I wouldn't want to risk losing a long term tenant but I also don't want to be taken as a fool

  • West Hartford, CT 路 Member since 2015 路 42 posts 路 9 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Natalie Kolodij:

    This is something I would bring up on principal. I would never just assume I could use something that didn't belong to me and wasn't included in my rental. 

    Does her unit have washer dryer hookups? 

    Does it make sense to have these be a pay-to-use washer dryer in the basement? Could they be repaired and be a cash flow generator for your property? 

    Her unit doesn't have a washer/dryer. 

    I agree. I wouldn't go into the basement and use the washer dryer without permission either if I were a tenant but we live in a crazy world. 

    It doesn't make sense for a coin op washer dryer in the basement of a duplex. Considering the fact that commercial washers and dryers are about 50% more expensive than residential and require maintenance etc. it's too much of a headache and wouldn't be worth it in ROI

    I'm thinking about getting rid of it completely as an option as well. 

  • Buy & Hold Owner 路 Redlands, CA 路 Member since 2015 路 5k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
    9y

    Tell her she has no rights and it is available ONLY on your good will.  If the washer/dryer fail, you do not intend to fix or repair.  Also say in the same breath, Good to have you with us.

  • Investor 路 Schaumburg, IL 路 Member since 2015 路 219 posts 路 104 votes
    9y

    @Mark A. 

    You could always reroute the electrical amd gas from her unit to supply the laundry mashines ; )

    If you don't want the machines and and they work. You could list them for sale on Craigslist or if your city a a virtual garage sale site in Facebook. You may be able to get a few bucks for them.

    The way I see this situation is she is tired taking her cloths to the laundromat. So when she had the oppurtunity she decided to use your laundry in the basement. If you get rid of the washer and dryer she would be going back to the laundromat and will have to pay.  Your tenant may be willing to pay for the convenience to have a washing machine downstairs.  You just have not asked.  I would first get rid of the existing machines. Then present her with the idea of getting a coin operated machine. 

    Also from my experiance the coin operated machines a far more reliable than the new fancy machine that have all the sensors and cool features. 

    A final thought is,  a coin operated machine would encourage her to be conscience with the size of the load.  If you charge a flat fee she can still do wash small loads and she can invite other folks over to do their laundry. 


     

  • Investor 路 Takoma Park, MD 路 Member since 2016 路 166 posts 路 147 votes
    9y

    In the greater scheme of things, this isn't costing you a thing beyond a couple of bucks for water and electricity each month. I'm not saying what she is doing is right, but if you take action like cutting the cord or removing the washer and dryer, she might just up and move on out. And that really would cost you in terms of the headache of finding another tenant and possibly even a vacancy.  I would just make it clear to her that when the washer / dryer break, you have no plans to fix or replace them.

  • Investor 路 Akron, OH 路 Member since 2016 路 2k+ posts 路 4k+ votes
    9y

    Tell her they are broken and you are replacing them with coin op machines which should work much better.

  • Lockport, NY 路 Member since 2017 路 14 posts 路 7 votes
    9y

    Put a lock on the door!

  • Investor 路 Saint Paul, MN 路 Member since 2015 路 663 posts 路 512 votes
    9y
    Why not buy a quality washer and dryer for the duplex and in the future you can up your rent. To me it makes renting the units easier because of the luxury.
  • Minneapolis, MN 路 Member since 2013 路 2k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    9y

    have you noticed a change in your bill for elec or water.. that will give you idea of cost.

    Personally the headache of coin op machines aren't worth the hassle of their extra cost for only 1 unit.

    Tell her usage is $$ per month extra and machines are on their last leg.

    I'd replace as needed it will benefit anyone that rents there and is a basic amenity that keeps tenants.

    Cost of machines can be deducted on your taxes. and extra per month should cover cost of machines in future and power , water so honestly at $2 bucks a wash at the laundromat and probably same for dry. I'd say $30.00 a month is a good guess for service if it's single occupancy.. more if more people

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Gainesville, FL 路 Member since 2015 路 1k+ posts 路 432 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Mark A.:

    Hey all,

    I just need somewhere to brain dump.

    My tenant moved in about a year ago. I told her that we do not offer any washer or dryers with the unit. 

    Your first sentence says it all....You already informed her prior to move in so she knew the w/d was not for tenant use but used them anyway. If the w/d do not consistently work correctly then when they go out just don't replace them.

  • West Hartford, CT 路 Member since 2015 路 42 posts 路 9 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Jeff B.:

    Tell her she has no rights and it is available ONLY on your good will.  If the washer/dryer fail, you do not intend to fix or repair.  Also say in the same breath, Good to have you with us.

     馃槀 Good call. 

    I'm not sure if I can say all that in the same sentence without stopping for a breah 

  • West Hartford, CT 路 Member since 2015 路 42 posts 路 9 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Ravi P.:

    @Mark A. 

    You could always reroute the electrical amd gas from her unit to supply the laundry mashines ; )

    If you don't want the machines and and they work. You could list them for sale on Craigslist or if your city a a virtual garage sale site in Facebook. You may be able to get a few bucks for them.

    The way I see this situation is she is tired taking her cloths to the laundromat. So when she had the oppurtunity she decided to use your laundry in the basement. If you get rid of the washer and dryer she would be going back to the laundromat and will have to pay.  Your tenant may be willing to pay for the convenience to have a washing machine downstairs.  You just have not asked.  I would first get rid of the existing machines. Then present her with the idea of getting a coin operated machine. 

    Also from my experiance the coin operated machines a far more reliable than the new fancy machine that have all the sensors and cool features. 

    A final thought is,  a coin operated machine would encourage her to be conscience with the size of the load.  If you charge a flat fee she can still do wash small loads and she can invite other folks over to do their laundry. 

     I was thinking about this...

    Perhaps ask her and charge her a fee for it. I feel coin ops are expensive and aren't worth the headache of getting it and maintaining it. 

    Then again, I don't want her to be doing everyone's laundry. Even if I charge her a monthly fee, she may think that she's already paying for it might as well have her friends over doing theirs.

  • West Hartford, CT 路 Member since 2015 路 42 posts 路 9 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Daniel O.:

    In the greater scheme of things, this isn't costing you a thing beyond a couple of bucks for water and electricity each month. I'm not saying what she is doing is right, but if you take action like cutting the cord or removing the washer and dryer, she might just up and move on out. And that really would cost you in terms of the headache of finding another tenant and possibly even a vacancy.  I would just make it clear to her that when the washer / dryer break, you have no plans to fix or replace them.

     So you're suggesting eating the cost for now till it breaks?

    I checked my electricity and water, currently it doesn't seem like any noticeable difference.

    But the fact that it should be lower kind of sticks to me. What happens if she starts abusing this down the road?

  • West Hartford, CT 路 Member since 2015 路 42 posts 路 9 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Jill F.:

    Tell her they are broken and you are replacing them with coin op machines which should work much better.

     I don't want to deal with coin ops as an overall expense and maintenance. It also doesn't make sense for a duplex in my eyes

  • West Hartford, CT 路 Member since 2015 路 42 posts 路 9 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Jeff Sprunger:

    Put a lock on the door!

     Hazardous. She might need to go downstairs in case the electrical goes out or if the heater stops working.

  • West Hartford, CT 路 Member since 2015 路 42 posts 路 9 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Marcus Johnson:

    Why not buy a quality washer and dryer for the duplex and in the future you can up your rent. To me it makes renting the units easier because of the luxury.

     How do you deal with the chance of tenants doing the laundry for everyone they know?

  • Mike CumbieBusiness Member
    REALTOR庐 路 Brockport, NY 路 Member since 2015 路 3k+ posts 路 4k+ votes
    9y

    Hi @Mark A.,

    In this case I might just leave it be. (Lesson learned about having them in there in the first place though).

    The units are faulty and old. The minute you start accepting a higher rent for them you own them. From her perspective if she is paying more a month "I am paying I want it to work and these don't clean my clothes properly". "I have to dry it twice", Then you end up buying new ones.

    Normally I don't advocate ignoring issues, but if it isn't a problem now, i would just let it go. Could she start doing a laundry service? i suppose, but I also figure you will notice the bill and then have to act. At this point you are just taking her little load a week from her.

    Good Luck!

  • West Hartford, CT 路 Member since 2015 路 42 posts 路 9 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Deanna McCormick:

    have you noticed a change in your bill for elec or water.. that will give you idea of cost.

    Personally the headache of coin op machines aren't worth the hassle of their extra cost for only 1 unit.

    Tell her usage is $$ per month extra and machines are on their last leg.

    I'd replace as needed it will benefit anyone that rents there and is a basic amenity that keeps tenants.

    Cost of machines can be deducted on your taxes. and extra per month should cover cost of machines in future and power , water so honestly at $2 bucks a wash at the laundromat and probably same for dry. I'd say $30.00 a month is a good guess for service if it's single occupancy.. more if more people

     I like this answer a lot.

    I haven't noticed any noticeable increase in water or electricity. 

    Do you think I can charge 20-30$ extra a month with the current state of the machines? I fear she may be turned off by the idea and lose her as a long term tenant. 

    I feel the only way I can charger her would be to get a new washer and dryer.... 

  • West Hartford, CT 路 Member since 2015 路 42 posts 路 9 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Mike Cumbie:

    Hi @Mark A.,

    In this case I might just leave it be. (Lesson learned about having them in there in the first place though).

    The units are faulty and old. The minute you start accepting a higher rent for them you own them. From her perspective if she is paying more a month "I am paying I want it to work and these don't clean my clothes properly". "I have to dry it twice", Then you end up buying new ones.

    Normally I don't advocate ignoring issues, but if it isn't a problem now, i would just let it go. Could she start doing a laundry service? i suppose, but I also figure you will notice the bill and then have to act. At this point you are just taking her little load a week from her.

    Good Luck!

    You quite verbalized what I repeatedly keep thinking about.

    I've been inclined to just ignore it. But I fear I look like I'm getting stepped over. My wife tells me that I need to charge her or tell her to stop using it period. What're your thoughts?

    She's a good tenant. Pays on time. A little bit nosy honestly. But who's perfect

  • West Hartford, CT 路 Member since 2015 路 42 posts 路 9 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Daria B.:
    Originally posted by @Mark A.:

    Hey all,

    I just need somewhere to brain dump.

    My tenant moved in about a year ago. I told her that we do not offer any washer or dryers with the unit. 

    Your first sentence says it all....You already informed her prior to move in so she knew the w/d was not for tenant use but used them anyway. If the w/d do not consistently work correctly then when they go out just don't replace them.

     Thank you. I'll have to factor this into my points when I speak to her

  • Minneapolis, MN 路 Member since 2013 路 2k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    9y

    One thing that we had a issue with in a 6 plex we owned was the washer and dryer in the basement could no longer be used by tenants because we needed an additional egress or exit.. the basement only had one stairwell and the small windows.. So we were forced to lock basement and tenants could not use for washer or dryers or storage.

    If somehow she was trapped down there for a fire, and couldn't get out you'd have a issue.. so be aware of that also. Is it legal for her to use it or for tenants to use that space in basement. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.