Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2017 · 39 posts · 4 votes
Hi biggerpockets,
Just bought this new property want to manage it myself but the county my property is in is saying that if I do not live in the county which I dont, I would need to hire a license property manager. This is the first I ever heard of this. Anyone have to deal with this in their county? This is in DE new castle county.
Investor · Wilsonville, OR · Member since 2014 · 59 posts · 51 votes
9y
I have never heard of that requirement but I wonder if they are referring to the need to have a local physical address and person as your agent for service. This is a fairly typical requirement and it is in place so that a tenant can serve notice on the landlord for any number of reasons. If this is what they are referring to, you can usually have an attorney in the locale where your properties are serve as the agent for a fairly reasonable fee. They would not provide any property management services but they would relay any notices served upon them to you.
There must be services available to do this. Doesn't say they have to be licensed PM. Seems to me you could just hire someone and write up your own agreement between you and them - saying they have no authority to make any decision or spend any money without your authorization, or just specify what they can and can't do.
A PM will cost you too much, in my opinion.
You could contact the apartment association and ask if there is an affordable service included in the membership, perhaps.