User Stats

Votes
David Zheng
Pro Member
#4 Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice Contributor
  • Investor
  • Saint Louis, MO
Votes |
Trespassing vs. Squatter. First Scary Encounter.

David Zheng
Pro Member
#4 Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice Contributor
  • Investor
  • Saint Louis, MO
Posted May 23 2017, 07:10

So long story short. Managing an Airbnb and go to the basement of my multifamily to wash some towels. saw like 30 alcohol cans, pills, powerball tickets everywhere and one of my tenants mattresses on the ground.

I grab a sledgehammer and start screaming blood and gore. Homeless guy comes out behind a stack of bed frames.

I gave him one of my airbnb bed sets and told him to leave, saying that if it were another situation he could of been shot and killed cause you don't just pop out in a dark small basement at 10pm.

Anyways...I don't know how he got in, but I was lucky he wasn't an aggresive drunkard (at the moment) or worse...carrying weapons. So for future reference, whats the difference between a squatter and a trespasser and what consequences can they face. the basement is definitely NOT considered a living environment. its just for storage and laundry.

Could someone go in there and say "Im squatting and I have rights" or can I physically remove them

If it's another homeless dude and actually completely intoxicated and runs at me belligerently, do I have a good enough reason to retaliate?

Loading replies...