Marketing property for rent prior to closing?

Marketing property for rent prior to closing?

Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2016 · 208 posts · 157 votes

Hey all, 

So I just got my 2nd property under contract and I have a question, some might say, a NEWB question. Anyway, this property is a college rental..and it being May, I'd like to get it rented out for the upcoming school year.... I'm already late, as most students sign their leases in early spring. Is it kosher to market the property for rent prior to taking title/deed? I planned to ask the owners if this would be alright? Anyway, I figured I'd ask to see if anyone as has had similar experience, or someone to tell me this is totally illegal... although I'd assume it's copacetic if given the ok my the sellers. 

Cheers BPers

0Reply
9 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
9y
Hehe. I have a property under contract that has 6 empty units. I've leased four of them prior to closing. That sucker will be full at close. I used those leases to help get the loan! So yes. Absolutely. I'm sure some of the more safe/conservative/legal'y people will say it's not safe etc but I do it all the time.
See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y
    Hehe. I have a property under contract that has 6 empty units. I've leased four of them prior to closing. That sucker will be full at close. I used those leases to help get the loan! So yes. Absolutely. I'm sure some of the more safe/conservative/legal'y people will say it's not safe etc but I do it all the time.
  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2016 · 208 posts · 157 votes
    9y

    @Cody L. thanks... yea I'm going to let the owners know... can't imagine it would hurt any! Was the loan you're talking about a commercial or conventional mortgage? 

  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    If they let you go ahead,, If for some reason closing doesn't happen I'd just do a holding fee, have them pre - sign lease and once you close you'd sign and return lease to them.

    Some may be skiddish about this as Scam type people are in all types of business.... so be prepared to answer and document you have interest in property vested to be new owner. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    @Jake Walroth There are a lot of reasons why there is no incentive for a seller to let you do this.  to much liability for the seller and there is zero upside for them.

    If you want a unit or units filled prior to close make it a contract contingency.  

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Jake Walroth:

    @Cody L. thanks... yea I'm going to let the owners know... can't imagine it would hurt any! Was the loan you're talking about a commercial or conventional mortgage? 

     Commercial.  I can't get a conventional / conforming loan.  Plus it's a 5+ unit building so it wouldn't be conventional anyway

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.