do I need the home warranty program

do I need the home warranty program

Real Estate Investor · Irvine, CA · Member since 2016 · 129 posts · 42 votes

HI ,

My realtor insists me on buying a home warranty program for my newly invested single family house.

Is it make sense financially?

Which one is a smarter way in terms of maintaining the rental property solve the problem when it happens or buying a home warranty program?

Stella

0Reply
58 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Downers Grove, IL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 955 votes
9y

@Dong Yan

Remember, all insurance companies need to make $. Most policies have loop holes and probably a big deductible. Unless the seller is offering to buy me one, I would pass.

First, find a good home inspector and/or contractors to figure out the deficiencies in your house.

2nd. Make sure you budget monthly for repairs, CAPEX and vacancies.

3rd. Screening tenants is very important. The more work  you do up front, the less issues you should have during the rental period. Search on BP and you will find a lot of good tips and articles. 

See this reply in the discussion

32 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Downers Grove, IL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 955 votes
    9y

    @Dong Yan

    Remember, all insurance companies need to make $. Most policies have loop holes and probably a big deductible. Unless the seller is offering to buy me one, I would pass.

    First, find a good home inspector and/or contractors to figure out the deficiencies in your house.

    2nd. Make sure you budget monthly for repairs, CAPEX and vacancies.

    3rd. Screening tenants is very important. The more work  you do up front, the less issues you should have during the rental period. Search on BP and you will find a lot of good tips and articles. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Ypsilanti, MI · Member since 2015 · 70 posts · 39 votes
    9y
    I would not buy the home warranty. They tend to be difficult to get items repaired in a timely manner. I have never had one myself but have seen friends & family spend weeks trying to get something fixed. My parents dryer kept breaking down and each time it would take weeks for it to be repaired. I would not want to rely on that for my tenants.
  • Real Estate Investor · Irvine, CA · Member since 2016 · 129 posts · 42 votes
    9y

    Chris,

    Thank you so much for the responses.

    What is CAPEX mean?

    in terms of your 3rd point, I do know the more work I do before rent out the better for the long run. I did post a  question in BP, is remodel or fix-up make sense when dealing with the rental properties.

    Majority of the BP memebers told me to fix as much as I can rather than tearing down everything and remodel.

    Stella

  • Kim Meredith HamptonBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · St Petersburg · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Dong Yan :

    First, as a Property Manager for over 20 years I have found that Home Warranties to be an absolute nightmare when it comes to tenants, owners and warranty companies.
    I find that most of the time they magically don't cover the item that you are calling about, and you end up paying a service call fee, calling another vendor and then paying for and repairing it anyway.
    They also take forever to get someone out to take care of anything. I think that most of the time they make people frustrated and you end up losing money in the end.
    Typically the vendors they send out undercut each other to get the work, but then end up making no $, so your job falls to the bottom of the list!
    Waiting for them to replace or warranty is a real issue with tenants in the property. The tenant, the property manager or owner must pay for the service fee immediately, and then we play the hurry up and wait game!
    If you do purchase, it's important to make sure that you know your policy inside and out, what does it and does not include.

  • Steve RozenbergPro Member
    Specialist · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

     These are just our thoughts, our opinions as we go through this. One thing that we found with Warranty companies. I’m sure there’s different one’s in different areas, but just what we have seen is a lot of them get the lowest bidder to do their jobs. Sometimes we’ve noticed that sometimes the quality of work is not always the way we would like it and not always the way that the tenant would like it either. A lot of times with these vendors, they are not our vendor. We have no control over their work ethic, we have no control of their schedules. So a lot of times when the tenant wants to know about the vendor showing up. We have no control, we don’t know who the vendor is; we can only call the warranty company y. We take care of facilitating the warrant work being done, but no control over their schedule. And, if the job isn’t done right, we have no control over that. The other thing is if there is a fault that is perceived to be by the tenant we have found that a lot of the companies do not honor the warranty and they charge you the full price. I’m not saying that is always the case, but we have had a lot of cases where now the tenant is saying they didn’t break it, the warranty company is saying they did, and now there is a lot of friction going on because we don’t have our standards to verify this information because we don’t know who the vendor is.

    So, these are just some things that we’ve run into with them. If you do use a warranty company I would just kind of make sure up front.Verify, ask them questions, find out who they work with, talk to other investors that use their service and see if they have had any problems. One thing you want to remember is the tenant has rights, they have a lot of rights. And, basically you have to remember they probably have more rights than all of us. Judges normally will side with the tenant, so you want to make sure that you are not violating rights. You want to make sure you get things done. It’s all done in a timely manner. You can find yourself on the wrong side of the law and here in Houston we have what’s called the Texas Property Code. For example, Air Conditioning Units, if it’s over a certain degree, 83 degrees you only have a certain amount of days to fix that with a tenant. When you own the property those rights don’t exist. So, when you’re dealing with a home warranty company and they may say we can’t get out there until next week. Well, you could be putting yourself in a bad legal position by allowing them to delay that long, because the tenant by law it has to be fixed within a certain amount of days.

    So, you want to make sure you know those rights and that you do not violate them just because a home warranty company cannot accommodate you. Remember, it’s hard enough to use a home warranty company on the home when you own it. I know, I personally have it on my property and it worked well. I tried it on my rental properties, it just didn’t work so well. I don’t see them as cost effective and as

    practical, but again that’s on my rental properties. On my personal properties it works very well.

  • Investor · Downers Grove, IL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 955 votes
    9y

    @Dong Yan

    CAPEX = capital expenditure.

    For the big items such as roofing, HVAC, windows etc.

    here's an excellent idea from Brandon Turner

    How to Estimate Future CapEx Expenses on a Rental Property

    In regards to replacing vs repairing, it really depends on the numbers. 

    For e.g. if I have to replace the countertop on the kitchen, I am not going to put the old faucet back in, I will put in a new one instead as it's cheaper to do it now (vs later), and I have to take out the old one anyways in order to replace the countertop.

  • Real Estate Investor · Irvine, CA · Member since 2016 · 129 posts · 42 votes
    9y
    thank you for information, that is very helpful.
    Originally posted by @Lawrence Henkel III:

    I would not buy the home warranty. They tend to be difficult to get items repaired in a timely manner. I have never had one myself but have seen friends & family spend weeks trying to get something fixed. My parents dryer kept breaking down and each time it would take weeks for it to be repaired. I would not want to rely on that for my tenants.

  • Real Estate Agent · Brandenburg, KY · Member since 2015 · 277 posts · 68 votes
    9y

    No, most are a PITA!

  • Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2014 · 21 posts · 7 votes
    9y

    You've likely explored this but it might be worth writing into your offers that seller pays for a home warranty on your acquisitions. It sounds like this one is past that point, but moving forward even if the seller doesn't, it's another negotiable item to get on the table here in CA. I think another thing that's an important variable is the age of the asset and/or items in question that would typically be covered. From an overall perspective, I'd agree that most are not so easy and can be quite painful. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Irvine, CA · Member since 2016 · 129 posts · 42 votes
    9y
    Hi Kim,

    Thank you for spending time to explain it to me. yes, after whatever you said below, I won't consider to buy a home warranty program now.

    Just wonder why all real estate agent highly recommend it to me every time when I make a purchase.

    Stella
    Originally posted by @Kim Meredith Hampton:

    @Dong Yan :

    First, as a Property Manager for over 20 years I have found that Home Warranties to be an absolute nightmare when it comes to tenants, owners and warranty companies.
    I find that most of the time they magically don't cover the item that you are calling about, and you end up paying a service call fee, calling another vendor and then paying for and repairing it anyway.
    They also take forever to get someone out to take care of anything. I think that most of the time they make people frustrated and you end up losing money in the end.
    Typically the vendors they send out undercut each other to get the work, but then end up making no $, so your job falls to the bottom of the list!
    Waiting for them to replace or warranty is a real issue with tenants in the property. The tenant, the property manager or owner must pay for the service fee immediately, and then we play the hurry up and wait game!
    If you do purchase, it's important to make sure that you know your policy inside and out, what does it and does not include.

  • Investor · Mission, TX · Member since 2017 · 220 posts · 135 votes
    9y
    Dong Yan here's how I look at it. These home warranties have high deductibles and are notorious for not covering problems. I don't have them and probably won't ever because most issues can be fixed with cheap labor and quicker when I don't have to use specific contractors.
  • Investor · Sugar Land, TX · Member since 2017 · 97 posts · 71 votes
    9y

    My realtor told me that he gets a commission from the home warranty company every time someone buys one. I think that's the real reason that your realtor wants you to buy one. Ask him point blank if he gets a kickback.

    I suggest having enough cash on hand (or a line of credit) to pay for unexpected repairs.

  • Real Estate Investor · Irvine, CA · Member since 2016 · 129 posts · 42 votes
    9y
    great tips
    Originally posted by @Andrew Acuna:

    Dong Yan here's how I look at it. These home warranties have high deductibles and are notorious for not covering problems. I don't have them and probably won't ever because most issues can be fixed with cheap labor and quicker when I don't have to use specific contractors.

  • Real Estate Investor · Irvine, CA · Member since 2016 · 129 posts · 42 votes
    9y
    Aha, that is what my gut feeling is telling me . so I am not the only person think that way,lol.
    Great suggestion!  Thank you!
    Originally posted by @Collin Garbarino:

    My realtor told me that he gets a commission from the home warranty company every time someone buys one. I think that's the real reason that your realtor wants you to buy one. Ask him point blank if he gets a kickback.

    I suggest having enough cash on hand (or a line of credit) to pay for unexpected repairs.

  • Greg H.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Broker/Flipper · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Collin Garbarino:

    My realtor told me that he gets a commission from the home warranty company every time someone buys one. I think that's the real reason that your realtor wants you to buy one. Ask him point blank if he gets a kickback.

    I suggest having enough cash on hand (or a line of credit) to pay for unexpected repairs.

     That is a violation of RESPA.  A Realtor is not permitted to accept kickbacks

  • Investor · Sugar Land, TX · Member since 2017 · 97 posts · 71 votes
    9y

    Maybe RESPA only applies to lenders and title companies? I don't know. I'm just telling you what my realtor told me.

  • Greg H.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Broker/Flipper · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    @Collin Garbarino

    Unfortunately it applies to Realtors as well.  Nobody misses the free golf and football tickets more than me

  • Investor · Sugar Land, TX · Member since 2017 · 97 posts · 71 votes
    9y

    This law firm's website talks about the legality of home warranties and RESPA. It looks like it could be legal in certain circumstances, but mostly not. http://www.caldwellkearns.com/Articles/Home-Warranties-and-RESPA.shtml

  • Real Estate Investor · Irvine, CA · Member since 2016 · 129 posts · 42 votes
    9y
    Great Info, what can you do about it though ? We don't usually have evidence about realtors benefitting of selling home warranties for the company.
    Origginally posted by @Collin Garbarino:

    This law firm's website talks about the legality of home warranties and RESPA. It looks like it could be legal in certain circumstances, but mostly not. http://www.caldwellkearns.com/Articles/Home-Warranties-and-RESPA.shtml

  • Real Estate Investor · Irvine, CA · Member since 2016 · 129 posts · 42 votes
    9y
    human nature, what can I say? we all have flaws!
    Originally posted by @Greg H.:

    @Collin Garbarino

    Unfortunately it applies to Realtors as well.  Nobody misses the free golf and football tickets more than me

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2015 · 224 posts · 50 votes
    9y

    having a home warranty on my own personal residence equals multiple calls for each thing, lots of time and arguments, etc..... wouldn't even consider that for my rental.... and i dropped them from my own home for said reasons

  • Real Estate Investor · Irvine, CA · Member since 2016 · 129 posts · 42 votes
    9y
    got it , almost want to try it for my own house but not any more, Thanks!
    Originally posted by @Ryan Moore:

    having a home warranty on my own personal residence equals multiple calls for each thing, lots of time and arguments, etc..... wouldn't even consider that for my rental.... and i dropped them from my own home for said reasons

  • Investor · Berkeley, CA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 713 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Dong Yan:

    HI ,

    My realtor insists me on buying a home warranty program for my newly invested single family house.

    Is it make sense financially?

    Which one is a smarter way in terms of maintaining the rental property solve the problem when it happens or buying a home warranty program?

    Stella

     No, you don't. It's nearly worthless.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cypress, TX · Member since 2013 · 822 posts · 468 votes
    9y

    I only recommend my buyer/investor clients get one if the seller is paying, which in Houston, is pretty customary. Some of my investors don't want anything to do with them, however, due to negative past experiences. And sometimes we can use the home warranty cost as a negotiation tool to get a lower price, seller concession, etc. if we don't ask for one. 

    If you do get one, check out the consumer affair reviews before you choose a company, and then read any companies exceptions very carefully. One company, for instance, has a loophole where no claims can be filed for 30 days after payment for the policy is received-you're SOL if something happens right after you take possession. Here's the link:

    https://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/aaa_warranties.html

    Lastly, in Houston, we cannot take a referral fee from a home warranty or any service company without having a signed disclosure from all parties. I just avoid that scenario at all times.

  • Real Estate Investor · Irvine, CA · Member since 2016 · 129 posts · 42 votes
    9y
    Hi Steve,

    Thank you so much for your sharing your opinion and experiences . I don't think I will buy it now after all those negative experience of using them.

    STella
    Originally posted by @Steve Rozenberg:

     These are just our thoughts, our opinions as we go through this. One thing that we found with Warranty companies. I’m sure there’s different one’s in different areas, but just what we have seen is a lot of them get the lowest bidder to do their jobs. Sometimes we’ve noticed that sometimes the quality of work is not always the way we would like it and not always the way that the tenant would like it either. A lot of times with these vendors, they are not our vendor. We have no control over their work ethic, we have no control of their schedules. So a lot of times when the tenant wants to know about the vendor showing up. We have no control, we don’t know who the vendor is; we can only call the warranty company y. We take care of facilitating the warrant work being done, but no control over their schedule. And, if the job isn’t done right, we have no control over that. The other thing is if there is a fault that is perceived to be by the tenant we have found that a lot of the companies do not honor the warranty and they charge you the full price. I’m not saying that is always the case, but we have had a lot of cases where now the tenant is saying they didn’t break it, the warranty company is saying they did, and now there is a lot of friction going on because we don’t have our standards to verify this information because we don’t know who the vendor is.

    So, these are just some things that we’ve run into with them. If you do use a warranty company I would just kind of make sure up front.Verify, ask them questions, find out who they work with, talk to other investors that use their service and see if they have had any problems. One thing you want to remember is the tenant has rights, they have a lot of rights. And, basically you have to remember they probably have more rights than all of us. Judges normally will side with the tenant, so you want to make sure that you are not violating rights. You want to make sure you get things done. It’s all done in a timely manner. You can find yourself on the wrong side of the law and here in Houston we have what’s called the Texas Property Code. For example, Air Conditioning Units, if it’s over a certain degree, 83 degrees you only have a certain amount of days to fix that with a tenant. When you own the property those rights don’t exist. So, when you’re dealing with a home warranty company and they may say we can’t get out there until next week. Well, you could be putting yourself in a bad legal position by allowing them to delay that long, because the tenant by law it has to be fixed within a certain amount of days.

    So, you want to make sure you know those rights and that you do not violate them just because a home warranty company cannot accommodate you. Remember, it’s hard enough to use a home warranty company on the home when you own it. I know, I personally have it on my property and it worked well. I tried it on my rental properties, it just didn’t work so well. I don’t see them as cost effective and as

    practical, but again that’s on my rental properties. On my personal properties it works very well.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.