What do you put under vinyl plank on 2nd floor and up?

What do you put under vinyl plank on 2nd floor and up?

Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, MN · Member since 2017 · 518 posts · 354 votes

I have 2, second floor apartments that I'll be renovating starting in July when the current renters move out. I would like to use vinyl plank, but am wondering what is the best underlayment to help with the noise? I know vinyl doesn't need it but want the extra noise reduction.

Thanks!

0Reply
33 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · New Britain, CT · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    I'm curious to hear responses because my 2nd floor tenants are leaving as of tomorrow and I plan on installing vinyl planks in that unit as well.

  • Investor · Tenafly, NJ · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    I have a 2 family house in NJ and prior owner had some noise issues from the second floor to the first floor. It used to have a carpet with a think foam below, but I remove it because it was old and you could heard the noise.

    I removed the carpet but left the original hardwood floor. Proceed to install a very heavy rubber mat about 1/2 inch thick, and install plank vinyl on top of it. I bought the rubber mat online for $1,200 to cover 600 feet area. and it weight about 500 pounds. And you still could heard some noise!! So I am going to ask 2nd floor tenant to place area rugs to help. So I have 3 different heavy floors and still is not enough!!

    Net, noise is a tough on in multi families. If you install vinyl, I will have some serious type of acoustic barrier. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.