Ways to pay rent electronically when tenant has no bank account?

Ways to pay rent electronically when tenant has no bank account?

Sandown, NH · Member since 2014 · 110 posts · 44 votes

Is anyone aware of any services where a tenant can pay his rent electronically without having a bank account? I'm aware of services such as popmoney.com, but I don't know of any that you can use without having a bank account.

0Reply
46 views

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Portsmouth, NH · Member since 2016 · 45 posts · 21 votes
    9y
    They can go to a nerby bank and deposit cash into your account that you set up with that bank. Just need to give them your account number. That's what I had to do for one of my tenants
  • Investor · Portsmouth, NH · Member since 2016 · 45 posts · 21 votes
    9y
    They can go to a nerby bank and deposit cash into your account that you set up with that bank. Just need to give them your account number. That's what I had to do for one of my tenants.
  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y
    What I have done is give them deposit slips. For one rental the bank is on the corner a block from the rental. that is a student who gets paid in cash.
  • Sandown, NH · Member since 2014 · 110 posts · 44 votes
    9y

    I'm not so sure I feel comfortable giving him my account #. 

  • Real Estate Investor · North Ridgeville, OH · Member since 2016 · 97 posts · 81 votes
    9y

    If they don't have a bank account I won't rent to them.  I always tell people as an adult if you are not responsible enough to maintain a bank account I don't want to rent to you.

  • Real Estate Investor · Marysville, OH · Member since 2014 · 242 posts · 196 votes
    9y

    A while back I had an account with Washington Mutual (no longer exists) for my rental checking, and they had "deposit ATM cards" basically its a deposit only card to access your account.  They go in to the teller, swipe the card, hand them cash, and it shows up in your account electronically.  It was pretty sweet, but I don't know if any banks do that anymore.

  • Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2014 · 397 posts · 161 votes
    9y

    @Renee R. for this type of situation see if the tenant will get a pre-paid card, such as the NetSpend card, as they can use some of those cards like a bank account for electronic payments.  We recommend the NetSpend as NetSpend will provide the tenant a routing and account number they can use like a bank account with payment services.  

    Not all pre-paid cards allow ACH debits though so make sure they check with the card issuer first.  If you need more information let me know and I can message you.

  • Sandown, NH · Member since 2014 · 110 posts · 44 votes
    9y

    @Rick S. Thanks, Rick. I'll check out NetSpend.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.