How important is washer/dryer and off street parking

How important is washer/dryer and off street parking

Houston, TX · Member since 2017 · 49 posts · 15 votes

I have a triplex in the Houston area. I'm renting the two rear homes out and living in the main house. I don't have washer and dryer connections in the rear homes, and can only provide street parking as my driveway is too small and we would have to be moving cars left and right each morning. That's a pain. 

0Reply
8 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2017 · 54 posts · 44 votes
    9y

    This really depends on your specific market.  If the potential tenant has other possibilities that have parking and W/D, you'll have to lower your rent to make up for those two things.  If I were the tenant, these would be big deal to me personally.  But, there may be a segment of the renting population out there that doesn't care about parking or in unit W/D.

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2017 · 49 posts · 15 votes
    9y

    unfortunately, in my area. It's pretty important. All my competitors have them. So how much of a discount should I offer them because I lack these amentities? 5%? 10%? 

  • Forney, TX · Member since 2013 · 119 posts · 101 votes
    9y

    @Lee V. - Welcome to BP.

    Try a 5% discount then go up from there on a weekly basis.  The higher price rent without those amenities the longer it sits empty.  Just make sure you adjust weekly so it doesn't drag out too long or maybe try going the reverse.  20% and if you get 15 calls then next rent period you could raise rent.  Then again if your market is as hot as ours it may not make a difference.  

    Check out what it would cost to add separate w/d to the unit maybe even a stackable one.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.