Can I invest security deposits in California?

Can I invest security deposits in California?

Naas, Kildare · Member since 2015 · 18 posts · 0 votes

Hey there guys,


Hate seeing good money sitting and doing nothing, granted that is the purpose of a 'deposit'.  Are we allowed to invest tenants security deposits? We have enough liquid cash personally to cover any losses.

Thanks in advanced!

0Reply
42 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2014 · 397 posts · 161 votes
    9y

    @Robert Lee I don't know of any specific laws for CA that require a separate bank account or interest to be paid on the deposit, however I would not recommend investing it.  I would recommend keeping it in a separate account for tracking and not mixing it with your personal funds.  

    CA deposit rules:

    https://www.thebalance.com/california-security-dep...

  • Investor · Santa Cruz, CA · Member since 2016 · 71 posts · 39 votes
    9y

    I read once that - in California - you do not have a fiduciary responsibility to your tenant, therefore you can use the funds as you please.

    No legal advice given.

  • Professional · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 67 posts · 34 votes
    9y

    @Robert Lee Normally you should have your tenant money in different accounts. There is probably three main reason for that.

    If you keep deposits in the same account:

    • You can't track the money
    • There could be accidental spending
    • Interest accrual 

    In the end, it all depend on your state/city laws. In California: http://www.yourlegalcorner.com/articles.asp?id=102...

    Here's an excerpt: 

    There would be different laws for each State (and each city). Highly recommended to consult your State's laws or your lawyer for that.

    Hope that helps!

  • Naas, Kildare · Member since 2015 · 18 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    Thank you everyone! seems like it can be done, but may not be worth the headache.  will consult with legal!

    Thanks again!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.