When one year lease is up do I need to write a whole new contract

When one year lease is up do I need to write a whole new contract

Tacoma, WA · Member since 2015 · 14 posts · 2 votes

My 1 year lease to my tenant is about to expire and they want to stay another year.

Do I need to create a whole new contract or is there some of of just amending the current one for another year?

The only thing that will be change is rent will increase $100 per month over the last contract.

0Reply
23 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor / Real Estate Agent · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2015 · 324 posts · 157 votes
    9y

    I have in my leases that once the lease period is up, it goes to a month to month basis. 

  • Tacoma, WA · Member since 2015 · 14 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    In this hot economy do you suggest I just let it become a month to month?

  • Investor / Real Estate Agent · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2015 · 324 posts · 157 votes
    9y

    I would revamp your lease to include after lease period is up, it goes to M2M basis, have an attorney to review it to ensure its rock solid.  If you are already increasing the rent, and the current tenants are okay with that, have them sign another year lease so they are locked in at that rent rate. 

  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    All you have to do, is write up something that says that Landlord and Tenant of property at such and such address, under the lease dated such and such date, agree to extend said lease for one more year, until such and such date, under the same terms, except that rent will be such and such for the next year until such and such date.  Both of you sign it.  Easy peasy.  You can even just do it via emails back and forth.  As long as there is a "writing" of your agreement, that's good enough, and if you have emails that prove you're in agreement, that's in "writing."

  • Portage, IN · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    My old landlord used to have me sign an Extension of Lease form and I was locked in for another year.

  • Sterman, MI · Member since 2017 · 378 posts · 306 votes
    9y

    I use a one year lease the first year. It begins on a specific date and terminates on a specific date. The next year I sign a new M2M lease for one year that starts on a specific date and terminates on a specific date. That way I can change anything in the lease that I want. I am always looking for updates on my leases from ideas on here and anywhere else.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.