Tenant replaced fixtures and they don't match existing decor

Tenant replaced fixtures and they don't match existing decor

Los Gatos, CA · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 0 votes

Hello,  My long-term tenants replaced one of my set of matching ceiling lights with a style they prefer.  They discarded my contemporary style light, which was a match for the light in an adjacent room and they installed an "antique style" of their choice.   Now they have moved out and I would like to replace their antique style with a contemporary one.  The lease says they can not make any alterations without approval, but they made many alterations.  Can I charge them for the cost of replacing their antique light with a matching light?  Thank you!

0Reply
44 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Michele FischerPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Yes, that seems appropriate.  It would be ideal for them to ask and you to tell them that they need to provide you the old fixtures.  I'm assuming you were not aware of this before move out so did not have a chance to discuss with them.  I'd find something similar to what you had and charge them for the cost of the fixture and installation.  Take lots of photos to show that this is not a petty preference on your part, but something that impacts the marketability.

  • Los Gatos, CA · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    My tenant painted over a skylight because he didn't like the light.  It looks horrible and damaged now.  He just moved out.  I informed him that I was going to withhold an amount to replace or repair (remove paint from) the skylight.  He was very angry and then told me that he is going to go on my roof and take the paint off.   I just had a brand new tile roof installed and I informed him that he is not permitted to go on my roof at all  and that the inspection needs to be done by my roofing contractor.  He says he is going to do it anyway because he wants his full deposit refunded.  I am really afraid that he will hurt himself (he's over 70 and has a disability) and damage my new roof.  I've told him that he may not enter my property and that I will call the police if he attempts to do so.  But I live an hour away.  Any suggestions?

  • Investor · Atascadero, CA · Member since 2015 · 238 posts · 90 votes
    9y

    Robin, I would make sure you have it in writing that you do not want him on the roof or property, like from text messages and or email. I would also alert the neighbors to call the police if they see him on the property.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.