How would you handle a tenant saying there's a wasp nest?

Most Popular Reply

Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
9y

google

(Insert City) Vector Control
if that doesn't work
(Insert County) Vector Control

It'll tell you what it is 

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 736 posts · 582 votes
    9y

    Depends on my proximity to the rental.  If I were close by, I'd spend the $5-$7 on a can of wasp spray and use it as an opportunity to inspect the house and make sure it's being kept up according to the lease.

    If it were a rental that I wasn't that close to, I'd let the property manager handle it :)

  • La Mirada, CA · Member since 2017 · 33 posts · 11 votes
    9y
    I've seen a lot of people who have their leases state something like "After 30 days, tenant is responsible for pest control" (was in a thread regarding possums) Does your lease say anything about that? If I were in the position, I'd probably do like the above poster said, buy some wasp spray, check out the place while you are inside, and spray those buggers. Then in a day or so when they are all dead, tenant can knock the hive down and throw it away
  • China, ME · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    @Steve S. Wasp spray.  No need to let a $10.00 problem escalate.  If you can get to it spray them.

    Pro Tip: If they get inside the house, starting fluid (CAUTION - it's ether and highly flammable) will instantly knock them down before they sting.  Just a little spritz in a well ventilated room.  You can just sweep them out the door before applying the toxic wasp spray in the kitchen.

    PS - I hope you're not prone to nightmares.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2017 · 37 posts · 15 votes
    9y

    I wouldn't want the tenants to handle something like that themselves, especially if they've reach out to you already.

     Here's what I would do:

    1. If you have a PM - have the PM handle, which is most likely to contact a professional
    2. If you don't have a PM, see below:
      1. Get details and assess the severity of the situation:
        •  How large is the nest? Ask for a photo if you're unable to see for yourself AND if it is safe and possible for the tenant to do so
        • Where is it located in relations to the home?  
    3. Contact professional dependent on the severity, OR like @Account Closed mentioned you have the option of handling the situation yourself if you're nearby.

    Good luck!

  • Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    Call your local (city, county) vector control, if your lucky they'll do it for free.

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2014 · 650 posts · 53 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Matt K.:

    Call your local (city, county) vector control, if your lucky they'll do it for free.

     What's a vector control?  I've never heard that term. Thx

  • Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    google

    (Insert City) Vector Control
    if that doesn't work
    (Insert County) Vector Control

    It'll tell you what it is 

  • Investor · TX · Member since 2015 · 393 posts · 290 votes
    9y

    How do people make any money when they constantly hire out such minor things to "Professionals"?

  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    Unless you want to go spray the wasp nest yourself, just hire pest control and take the deduction when you file your taxes.

    As mentioned above, if a tenant has made you aware of the problem and you don't deal with it - or put yourself in a position to show that you did do a reasonable attempt to fix the problem - you can be liable if somebody's kid ends up in the hospital, etc.

    Wasps are really bad here in the SF Bay Area this summer.  I had some persist on building nests on the awnings over my windows of my apartment.  I kept spraying them with ammonia (cheap way to deal with them), but they kept coming back and starting again.  So, I finally mentioned it to management.  They have pest control under contract, so the guy came and sprayed something that has kept them from coming back.  He also put up some traps around the property.  But, whatever he sprayed must completely knock out any scent they leave for other wasps to find, because they completely disappeared and they were a constant problem before - no matter how many I killed, more kept coming, until the magic, toxic stuff got sprayed on their spots.

    I'm afraid to learn what that stuff is, lol, but I'm really glad they're gone.  It was scary going out on my balcony for me and my dog.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.