Watch What You Say to Prospective Tenants

Most Popular Reply

Mobile Home Investor · Spanaway, WA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 578 votes
16y

On the issue of safety, it has been my observation that many of the "drug houses that you can hit with a rock" are being managed by a professional management company. The Mom & Pop operations are trying to clean up the neighborhoods and the management companies are operating for an out of town or out of state owner. If the person can fog a mirror, they are accepted and there goes the neighborhood. What is neded is for the "professional" companies to add more professionalism into their day-to-day operations!

See this reply in the discussion

18 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y

    It's ironic that you posted this now. I got a call from Fair Housing yesterday about a woman I rejected. The fair housing official asked me why I rejected her and I told the fair housing officer that the applicant's son was a "criminal scumbag" (with over 50 arrests) and that I didn't believe the woman when she told me that her son wouldn't be living with her. To the best of my knowledge, having a son that's a "criminal scumbag" isn't a protected class. End of story.

    I guess if we need to watch what we say, next time I'll be more careful how I phrase it and call the guy a "criminal druggie scumbag".

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 282 votes
    16y

    Thanks for the article Richard. That wasn't very smart of the broker to do that. Even I know never to bring up the subject of children.

    Another thing I don't do: a lot people asked me if the neighborhood the house is in was safe. I just tell them that they can go to our local newspaper's website and use the interactive crime map if they want to find out about that zip code. I don't know if it matters, but I don't want to tell someone it's safe and then they get broken into a week after they move in and blame me.

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y

    I tell them that there is no place in the city from which you can't throw a rock and hit a drug dealer.

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 282 votes
    16y
    Originally posted by MikeOH:


    I tell them that there is no place in the city from which you can't throw a rock and hit a drug dealer.


    LOL, I've told a couple people "it's in Florida, no place here is 100% safe"
  • Flipper · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2009 · 973 posts · 679 votes
    16y

    Edit: Never mind... read the article wrong.

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    16y

    Sometimes it's wise to watch what one says in these public forums ...

  • Real Estate Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2008 · 566 posts · 356 votes
    16y

    There are a number of lessons to learn from this article.

    Besides an agent trying to rent a 4 bedroom would make such a stupid statement as "hoping to rent to a family without children..." aside,

    1. He said, she said, without any evidence could land you in the spotlight.
    2. An unrelated incident (eventually renting to a family with 1 kid) can then be used against you.
    3. A he said, she said incident could take years to come back and bite you.

    My lone experience occured between agreeing to rent to a tenant (paid deposit, but yet to pay the rent or get keys). In my screening I verified her employment with her employer. Days later, her employer called me back and told me she had been let go. I told her I would be unable to rent to her because she had no income. Next thing I know I'm on the phone with a pro-bono charity lawyer saying I had to rent to her and if I didn't, she'd sue for descrimination. Keeping my head, I simply replied, "no job, no income, can't pay the rent, go for it." Never heard another word.

    4. Guilty till proven inncocent....

    As to Tom's comment. While the Feds may not specifically include "any legal income source" as a protected class, some states or even counties and municipalities do, so a day care, foster home or other home based business would not be a legal cause for refusal. In those cases, IMO, the LL should require the business, just like requiring any other tenant to live within all laws and ordinances, to follow all laws required for the business: proper licensing, check zoning to make sure it is allowed (some municipalities might not allow day cares in upper units with stairs), check and see if the unit complies with any local ordinances applying to a business (there could be additional parking and egress-ADA, for instance. Requirements not normally applied to residences), and require a liability insurance policy naming the LL as co-insured or otherwise indemify the LL against claims. I found in a few brushes with a home daycare, they balk at the insurance requirement and simply look elsewhere. I think the "will you be running any type of home based busines" question should be part of the initial phone interview, not as a qualifier or disqualifier, but because the answer would influence considerations for rent, deposit and other items for negotiation.

  • OR · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 845 votes
    16y

    In the state of California, it is illegal to turn anyone down for running a children's day care. There are some other states that do not allow you to turn down any applicant for source of income.

    Know you local landlord laws.

    Never say one word about kids, other than maybe "I like kids", or "isn't he cute!".

    If you don't want an applicant, find a legal reason to reject them. If you can't find any legal reason to reject them, then why would you want to reject them? Good tenants are hard to come by. If they have income, excellent landlord references, good credit, no criminal record, good job references, have never been evicted, then grab them up quick, even if they have 6 kids.

  • OR · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 845 votes
    16y

    [[[[......"Jim Bob" who walks in with tobacco juice dripping from his chin on to your carpet....]]]]]

    Well, for one thing, I sure wouldn't reject him for having 12 kids.

    I don't allow smokers, so the pipe smoking wife is an automatic rejection.

    It's in my written criteria that I can reject any applcant who damages the property while they are there, so another automatic rejection for damaging the carpet by dripping tobacco juice on it.

    It's also in my criteria that I can reject for spousal or child abuse, and half naked children in my climate would definately be child abuse. However, I'd rather reject on the smoking issue and leave the children out of it. I might call children's services on him, though.

  • OR · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 845 votes
    16y

    By the way, I've got a tenant that you'd swear was a member of a biker gang.

    He screened great, so I accepted him and he is the nicest guy. He's really easy to work with, the rent is right on time, and his wife is the best housekeeper I've ever seen. The house is always absolutely spotless.

    But that is what I was told to expect by his prior 2 landlords and both of their work places.

    He doesn't even own a bicycle, let alone a motorcycle. He's a computer nerd.

    If you are a landlord, you can not afford to judge the book by its cover. Base your decision on your screening, not on what the applicant is wearing or the applicant's hair style or beard.

  • Real Estate Investor · North Carolina · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 483 votes
    16y

    In all respect, P NW I find I must disagree. After several years in this racket I personally believe that it IS possible to judge some books by their covers. Examples:

    Lots of tattoos, especially on the neck, face, knuckles, and hands. And on a shaved head.

    A beater vehicle full of trash.

    Alcohol breath.

    Sniveling, whining, misbehaving kids.

    A flirtacious, winky gal.

    A serious roll of cash money.

    Long hair, wire-rim glasses, bell-bottom trousers, patchouli oil fragrance and peace-sign belt buckles.... especially if they're older than 50.........

  • Mobile Home Investor · Spanaway, WA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 578 votes
    16y

    On the issue of safety, it has been my observation that many of the "drug houses that you can hit with a rock" are being managed by a professional management company. The Mom & Pop operations are trying to clean up the neighborhoods and the management companies are operating for an out of town or out of state owner. If the person can fog a mirror, they are accepted and there goes the neighborhood. What is neded is for the "professional" companies to add more professionalism into their day-to-day operations!

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y

    EXACTLY! And don't forget the baggy pants that must be held up with one hand and the prison style stretch beanie caps.

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 282 votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Realtyman:
    On the issue of safety, it has been my observation that many of the "drug houses that you can hit with a rock" are being managed by a professional management company. The Mom & Pop operations are trying to clean up the neighborhoods and the management companies are operating for an out of town or out of state owner. If the person can fog a mirror, they are accepted and there goes the neighborhood. What is neded is for the "professional" companies to add more professionalism into their day-to-day operations!


    Good point. I've heard so many bad things about PM companies, although many here on the forum seem to use them successfully.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.