Rental Property Investor · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 876 votes
I decided to lease a unit to 2 recent immigrants with their affluent brother in a neighboring unit as guarantor. I've downloaded 1/2 dozen guarantor forms and the variation is dizzying, from straightforward to legaleze and notary required. Why would you need a notary for a guarantor when you don't for a normal lease?
China, ME · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
9y
@Johann Jells As a MA notary, I'm assuming that NJ laws are the same - they may not be.
One of the notary's primary functions is to verify that the person signing a document has presented evidence of their identity. Normally it's a driver's license, passport or other government issued photo ID.
The notary stamp / seal is is their affirmation that the signature is genuine and the signer is properly identified.
Why one form asks for a notarization and another doesn't is a question for an attorney.