scratches on tenant's car caused by other tenants

scratches on tenant's car caused by other tenants

Lakeland, FL · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 0 votes

Tenants for a 24 unit apartment complex I manage have been complaining about scratches and dents on their cars caused by kids weaving between cars with bicycles, scooters, etc., and caused by doors being opened into their car. I sent a letter to all tenants for this. This morning, I received a text with pictures of a tenant's car that was scratched. She is obviously wanting me to do something about it. Is is my responsibility? Not sure how to respond to her.

0Reply
13 views

Most Popular Reply

Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2015 · 257 posts · 230 votes
9y

It's absolutely not your problem. If a tenant came to me with a problem that was in no way, shape, or form a result of my actions; I'd let them know that.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2015 · 257 posts · 230 votes
    9y

    It's absolutely not your problem. If a tenant came to me with a problem that was in no way, shape, or form a result of my actions; I'd let them know that.

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Agreed, not you've problem. Though to 'help and do something about it', have you considered signs (no loitering/trespassing/cut through. Or maybe adding a fence or bushes to dissuade local kids from using your parking lot as a cut through? Or is it tenants that are causing the scratches? Maybe some cameras - though that may set you up for more headaches.
  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    that's why your tenant has car insurance,, they should call police and issue a complaint,, none of your concern just pass the info on to them. 

    Other than painting a stripe on the driveway,, I'd say it's going to be a lost cause.. saying bikes and ect must be put inside , garage,, when not in use.. might help.

  • Lakeland, FL · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    Thanks for the input. I told her to call her insurance company or police.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.