LANDLORDS NATIONWIDE! Most frustrating thing about it?

LANDLORDS NATIONWIDE! Most frustrating thing about it?

Real Estate Investor · Mesa, AZ · Member since 2017 · 15 posts · 8 votes

For anyone and everyone who is a landlord, is there something that just pushes you over the edge? Some tenants are absolutely amazing, but we all know that isn't the case all the time. Tenants usually find a way to push just the right buttons. I want to know what the things are that aggravate you most as a landlord.

Some things I can think of are:

- rent not being paid on time
- maintenance fixes (AC went out, dishwasher stopped working, etc.)
- providing notices for eviction

Whatever it may be, I want to hear it.

And thank you to everyone who shares with me. I know being a landlord is no easy task but can be rewarding also.

0Reply
57 views

Most Popular Reply

JD MartinBusiness Member
Moderator
Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
9y

Finding good contractors and repair personnel. The lack of professionalism these days never ceases to astonish me. I have yet to have a decent handyman that lasts more than a job or two. Once they get enough meth cash to last a week or two, away they go. General labor workers suck these days. I'm older (close to 50) but the work ethic today is atrocious. It is no wonder immigrants and foreign workers are kicking our collective asses.

Skyline Properties
View Page
See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Red Bank, NJ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    I gotta say, I am all around very fortunate. When an issue presents itself, my current tenants correct it when it is brought to their attention. 5 out of 9 had to move on because they could not adapt to the new regime when I took over the buildings. The others adapted right quick and the people I have placed are a dream.

    I only have one issue right now-

    I am pretty capable of navigating the protective laws of 3 or more units here in NJ- but one thing drives me bonkers: I cannot give a tenant notice of non-renewal for renovations. The previous owner did not put one nickel into either building, and they are 100+ year old buildings. I cannot renovate with a tenant in because at this stage, once I rip into one piece it will lead to a cascade of issues. I must vacate to completely renovate. This is exasperated by the fact that these apartments are rent controlled (they phase out on vacancy), so their rents are well below market even for the shape they are in. So the interplay of the state law and municipal ordinance really screws you. I have to basically call the state in to do a study to find that the apartment is uninhabitable (which it is far from) for the tenant to vacate... I would be happy giving the person 2 years notice!

    I was able to completely clean out the ne'er-do-wells in my one building- which was great, but costly having to carry an entire building while renovating and discovering issue after issue... We effectively rebuilt it.

    That's all I got- I really am so grateful for the opportunity to own income property, especially where I do- that I don't stay down for long, even on my worst day. 

  • Jeff G.Pro Member
    Investor · Wethersfield, CT · Member since 2013 · 371 posts · 191 votes
    9y

    @Patrick M. yeesh rent control, a temporary government program from the Great War (World War ONE) run amok until the present day. Yes, that's how rent control started in the US. I wish it did not exist.

    Is cash for keys not an option in a rent controlled market?

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    9y

    Finding good contractors and repair personnel. The lack of professionalism these days never ceases to astonish me. I have yet to have a decent handyman that lasts more than a job or two. Once they get enough meth cash to last a week or two, away they go. General labor workers suck these days. I'm older (close to 50) but the work ethic today is atrocious. It is no wonder immigrants and foreign workers are kicking our collective asses.

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Rental Property Investor · Red Bank, NJ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Jeff G. It is definitely available to me. I am biding my time a bit, last year when we finally got the town to phase out rent control on vacancy we were also able to get them to include a floor increase of 1.5% if CPI is less. My tenants had never had more then a $10 increase under the old owner, I increase by $30 a pop on most controlled units the building  was profitable regardless. We wanted to rehab sooner rather than later- but after this one building renovation we may need a year break!

  • Rental Property Investor · Red Bank, NJ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @JD Martin I am fortunate to have a great hardware store in town and they have a good bunch of contractors/handymen who they trust enough to recommend to neighbors.

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    9y

    I pay all my people good. This is not a unique problem.

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Catherine Angle

    I'd say my biggest frustration is either being lied to by tenants/contractors/potential tenants..

    You clearly state on the application you don't have an eviction, you tell me directly no evictions, but the court system says you have one?!    I also recently had a tenant who told me he would be home to let the pest control in.... in 8 months, he never did  (even though we paid $$$ for the service), so when he moved out.. lots of roaches!   I hate liars!    I actually look at people who admit felonies more over liars with evictions!    Getting lied to, IMO is the worst... oh, you don't have enough money for rent to be paid on time, but I see a new car?   Or I contractor gives me a quote for a full system replacement, when 3 others said it just needs a repair..  can't stand liars!!!

    It's my pet peeve!

  • Rental Property Investor · Toronto ON, Canada · Member since 2015 · 58 posts · 11 votes
    9y

    Tenants that are picky on every single thing, and use f** words when they call you and email you? For the first months when we took over our properties from property manager and started to manage ourselves. There are 3 or 4 tenants like this, I felt stressed and nervous about seeing tenant emails. Later we found that we don't need to suffer when we see their emails, we give their cease and decease notice for harassment, and said it will go into their file, then they stopped.

    Tenants who are picky on every small repairs, and called city for inspection, city came in and picked out 20 items for you  to repair, and costed you money for non-sense? one tenant said she has bed bugs, we sent pest control for 3 times, and didn't find any bed bug, he called city, and city said even he caught bed bugs some place else and placed into a jar, and showed to the inspector in the apt, we have to do a bed bug treatment?

    Property manager put tenants into your apartment without background check, and we had to evict most of them for non-payment, harassing us, etc.? Property manager did repair for your apt for 10k, and when we took over and saw nothing being done?

    Oh, misery likes company, looking forward to all replies.

  • Jeff G.Pro Member
    Investor · Wethersfield, CT · Member since 2013 · 371 posts · 191 votes
    9y

    When I was a tenant in a multi-family unit I was on good terms with the landlord. One thing that drove us both crazy was smokers. I get it, if it's your house  and you want to smoke -- smoke away. 

    The problem is in a multifamily unit the other renters can neither truly consent to second hand smoke exposure or avoid it entirely -- they're sort of captive in the situation. This leads to unhappy non-smoker tenants who move out early because of that one guy who smokes like a chimney. Oh, and landlords hate it because it takes extra effort to get the tobacco tar out of the walls too. Ugh.

  • Real Estate Investor · Mesa, AZ · Member since 2017 · 15 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    @Linda S. Hey Linda, I totally agree that being lied to is so aggravating! My opinion on tenants being untruthful is that if they are lying in the application process, they probably will try to be sneaky or deceitful when they become your tenants also. I just don't agree with that kind of thing. 

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    9y

    The apathy for anything that is not theirs or they are not paying for is most frustrating to me.  

    Appliances are abused, screens and screen doors torn and broken, yards dried up and weed-ridden, washer and dryers killed, dishwashers missing jet thingies, etc.   

    So now we have a laundry schedule in my multi's, a designated yard guy, designated doggy doo-doo days where all poop is picked up, etc.  It's like babysitting my sister's kids or something.  

  • Investor · Greeley, CO · Member since 2012 · 42 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    I second JD Martin's post about unreliable Handyman/Contractors.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.