Average Professional Cleaning Fees?

Average Professional Cleaning Fees?

Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2017 · 20 posts · 4 votes

Recently received a hefty cleaning fee, being taken out of our deposit. We were renting a 3 bedroom, 1 level house. Half of it was hardwood, the other half carpet. We were charged $109 for the carpet cleaning (per our lease, that makes sense to me), but then we were charged $595 for a cleaning fee on top of that! 

Apparently, two people, at $35/hour each, took 8.5 hours (so, 17 hours of work total), to clean our house - and these are professionals! Unfortunately, I was studying abroad during our transition to a new place, so I only know what my roommates told me about the condition of the house, but I trust that they didn't leave it so badly that it warranted that kind of cleaning. 

They claim they did the usual (vacuuming, sweeping, swiffering, wiping down all of the countertops, cleaning the bathrooms head to toe, spot cleaning walls, wiping down window sills, and running drain cleaner through the sinks). 

Does this seem unreasonable? What are average cleaning rates for this kind of house? I want some opinions from other landlords here. I know we weren't the "tenants from hell" (we paid rent on time, never broke anything, never had neighbor complaints), but we also live in a university town. I want to make sure that we aren't being taken advantage of here.

0Reply
117 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9y

It sounds like your landlord ripped you off Cleaning a home tops should be $200 and if they place was left clean usually there is no charge unless your lease has some other clause 

See this reply in the discussion

33 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Atascadero, CA · Member since 2015 · 238 posts · 90 votes
    9y

    @Account Closed $1,500.00 is no small change. Gather evidence and ask her for bills and proof of the excessive damage or filth she is claiming. Get estimates from other cleaning services, as others have suggested. If there is a school website or facebook page I would ask if anyone else has had the same experience with this landlord and get their testimony. You are probably not the first group she has taken advantage of in this way. It needs to stop.

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Account Closed When it comes to cleaning fees, it's best to get a flat fee estimate. There are some that charge by the hour but you never know where that'll take you. Since you were away, you may need to see proof of what was cleaned. Before and after pics always help if you can get them. Good luck! 

  • Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2017 · 20 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    Update on the situation: We send a very formal and respectful deposit dispute, with pictures, and she replied (in a very hostile and unprofessional way) that she won't pursue it legally, but it will be considered an unpaid balance - essentially, that though she won't take us to court, she will destroy our credit...

  • Rental Property Investor · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2016 · 18 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    So, as a tenant, would you happily pay a move-out cleaning fee if the cost is reasonable (approx. $100)? I d on't currently charge a cleaning fee, but the costs coming out of my pocket are adding up and I'm considering adding a cleaning fee into my lease agreement moving forward. I would charge it at the time of move-out. I know I have to be careful about using the security deposit for cleaning because it is not to be used for "normal wear and tear." Let me know if you think cleaning fees are a good idea and what you think a good dollar amount would be. Thanks in advance!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.