Inheriting a tenant with a bad attitude

Inheriting a tenant with a bad attitude

Elizabethtown, PA · Member since 2016 · 24 posts · 7 votes

My husband and I just had an offer accepted on a multi-unit (our first investment ever!). If all goes well, we'll be occupying one side, and the owner JUST got new tenants in a week ago, so we'll be inheriting them. We haven't' seen the lease yet.  While walking through the property, we did meet the new tenants (middle-aged couple and daughter ~15 years old). One of the first thing the man says is, "Now I know it's not completely settled yet, but I have to ask, are we going to be able to paint? Because there are lots of places that need it. I don't care if it's the same color, I'll even do it myself, but I'm picky and some of these walls really need it." 

Now it wasn't rude, but it wasn't nice. I'll say, it felt a TAD bit demanding actually. I really didn't like it. I assume, when he rented from the current owner he was accepting the rental as-is. If we settle on the house, we weren't expecting to do much to the other side until the tenants moved out (with the exception of necessary repairs). We want to "put our foot down" early, but we also want to have a good relationship with our tenants and not start off negatively.

We definitely don't want them to paint, but should we offer to paint? Should we just shut them down and say no way? We are planning on occupying for 1 year, maybe when we move out and paint our side, we'll suggest we can paint theirs too? 

Landlords - do you do any unnecessary updates during tenancy if your tenants request it? Or if say, the carpet starts really wearing down, even though your tenants don't plan to leave?  Thanks in advance!

0Reply
102 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
9y

You know, we've looked at a lot of units and even on a first tour the tenants will tell you all about any problems with the unit. A huge number say their unit needs paint and flooring. 

I do not let tenants paint. Painting is harder than they think. If they don't have experience they'll make a mess and do it poorly. (There will be splatter all over the trim and flooring and the ceilings will need to be redone because the don't know how to edge). Since we look for properties where we can add value and then raise the rent, I tell inherited tenants they can get first shot at remodeled units but the rent is higher. I do not remodel units with a tenant in place--- you'll never hear the end of the whining about how the painters got drips on their heirloom furniture or the carpet layers scratched up the fine furniture. How the new carpet is outgassing and causing them asthma and the paint fumes are giving them migraines for months. Nope. I'm not going there.

They can purchase removable TemPaint wallpaper in any color or pattern they want. (I'll even offer to help them hang it). Or they can hire professional painters to paint the place with temporary colors of their choosing or permanent colors that I approve.

See this reply in the discussion

31 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent/Property Management · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 827 votes
    9y

    I'm a little surprised that the seller signed a lease when it was on the market. That's something that should have been left to you. At the very least, you should have been given a copy of the lease during the option period so you could decide whether or not you wanted to proceed with the purchase.

    I can't speak for other states, but our Texas leases have a clause that the tenant accepts the property as is provided the landlord..... And that's where they put in any requests like painting.  There's also a clause that prohibits any alterations to the property without the landlord's written consent. And any alterations have to be returned to the original condition, or it's considered damage.

    A fresh coat of paint is pretty much expected when a new tenant moves in. Unfortunately, that the most expensive thing you can do unless you actually have a maintenance crew on staff. My experience is that you're looking at a minimum of $1 a square foot, and probably more.

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 745 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Ashley Shearer:

    My husband and I just had an offer accepted on a multi-unit (our first investment ever!). If all goes well, we'll be occupying one side, and the owner JUST got new tenants in a week ago, so we'll be inheriting them. We haven't' seen the lease yet.  While walking through the property, we did meet the new tenants (middle-aged couple and daughter ~15 years old). One of the first thing the man says is, "Now I know it's not completely settled yet, but I have to ask, are we going to be able to paint? Because there are lots of places that need it. I don't care if it's the same color, I'll even do it myself, but I'm picky and some of these walls really need it." 

    Now it wasn't rude, but it wasn't nice. I'll say, it felt a TAD bit demanding actually. I really didn't like it. I assume, when he rented from the current owner he was accepting the rental as-is. If we settle on the house, we weren't expecting to do much to the other side until the tenants moved out (with the exception of necessary repairs). We want to "put our foot down" early, but we also want to have a good relationship with our tenants and not start off negatively.

    We definitely don't want them to paint, but should we offer to paint? Should we just shut them down and say no way? We are planning on occupying for 1 year, maybe when we move out and paint our side, we'll suggest we can paint theirs too? 

    Landlords - do you do any unnecessary updates during tenancy if your tenants request it? Or if say, the carpet starts really wearing down, even though your tenants don't plan to leave?  Thanks in advance!

     Unless I was expecting to raise the rent and/or possibly (small possibility) extend the lease and needed to offer up newly painted walls, there is no way I would offer to paint for an existing tenant.

    It just doesn't make any sense, why do it?

  • Elizabethtown, PA · Member since 2016 · 24 posts · 7 votes
    9y

    @Fred Heller thanks for the estimate! Good to know. The lease also does say they can't paint or do any repairs, so that's a good thing. 

    @Bart H. I agree!

    Normally we would think not to, but our thoughts were based solely on how we wanted to start off with this tenant. We were worried if we said no, they might possibly be grumpy with us for their term, and/or potentially cause more problems. If we said yes, it could get us off to a great start, but worry they might start asking to do more and more. Guess it could go either way. 

    Turns out... we found out they're on rent assist. So now we're REALLY not happy the sellers threw this family in there, and equally as unhappy that they seem to be demanding quality improvements when they didn't pay the deposit...etc. We'll see how this goes! We'll likely tell them that we're not painting. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.