Having trouble with the site eRentpayment

Having trouble with the site eRentpayment

Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 54 posts · 30 votes
I had a rental payment processed on 10/4/17 and still haven't received payment. Their Facebook page has a post saying processing that's normally 2-3 days will be 3-5 because they're changing banks. They never sent notice prior to this change or else I would have had the tenant mail it for this month. Also, after realizing they were having issues instead of directly notifying anyone who could be effected they put a blanket statement out on Facebook. I only noticed because I happened to go to the bank yesterday. I find this very troubling and was wondering if anyone has had a similar issue or any thought on how to handle it
2Reply
284 views

Most Popular Reply

Founder/CEO · Portland, OR · Member since 2014 · 45 posts · 93 votes
8y

Disclosure - I am the Founder/CEO at Cozy

This has been a tough few days for many landlords, and we understand your fears, concerns, and frustrations. Thank you to those of you asking about our methods. Let me share why we believe landlords and renters using Cozy will not experience a similar result to the recent event.

First, and perhaps most importantly, we work with Stripe for payment processing. Stripe operates in 25 countries, and they’re a company clearly set up for the long term. Stripe is a $9 Billion company and is widely regarded as a trusted payment processor. Stripe handles payments for tons of awesome companies, including, coincidentally, BiggerPockets.

While we have many internal safeguards that I’ll talk about in a second, understand that Cozy never takes custody of your funds during a payment transaction. Our processing partner Stripe is a licensed money transmitter, and moves your money on our behalf. Funds travel from renters’ bank accounts and credit cards and are deposited in landlords’ bank accounts via the ACH system. Cozy has no access to your money while it’s in transit.

eRentPayment in a recent statement said the following:

“We regret to inform you that our payment processor, eCheckit, has informed us that it expects to file for bankruptcy protection shortly. We are told that it suffered losses due to a fraud and that its processor, Check Commerce, has held over $4 million of its funds and will not release the funds to the intended recipients at this time.”

We believe it to be extremely unlikely that Stripe will experience an issue like this. Their underpinnings are built with Wells Fargo, which is the fourth largest bank in the United States.

Of course, this is not the only issue that may affect your security when processing rent payments, so we have additional buffers in place to add additional security:

1) Our Trust & Safety team ensures that every single Cozy payment goes through several layers of fraud detection. These include internal proprietary software, external partners such as Sift Science, and humans at Cozy.

2) We employ a rigorous software development process. Every code change is backed with automated tests and reviewed by at least two engineers. Cozy has to work reliably. We understand how costly bugs can be, like when Knight Capital lost $441 million in 45 minutes.

3) We keep our infrastructure up to date, which ensures that we receive security updates as soon as possible. The recent Equifax breach was a result of a security update that took months to apply. Similar updates to Cozy’s environment are applied in days, or even the same day, for critical vulnerabilities.

4) We actively and voluntarily pursue data security. Cozy is voluntarily compliant with PCI DSS, even though we do not store your credit card information. (It’s in Stripe, so why also store it on Cozy?) PCI DSS is one of the most stringent organizational security standards in financial technology. We hire third-party security specialists to perform yearly audits. For example, the leak of credit card information at Home Depot in 2014 was due to insufficient PCI DSS compliance.

See this reply in the discussion

79 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Mission, TX · Member since 2017 · 220 posts · 135 votes
    8y
    Patrick O. I didn’t have that problem, but I definitely didn’t like them. They take a long time and they charge you. I would check our cozy.co there’s no fee for the same thing- it takes the same amount of time to process, but the interface is way slicker and I just trust them more! Hope that helps!
  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 54 posts · 30 votes
    8y
    Thanks Andrew Acuna I'll definitely check them out. I'm definitely worried at this point. And, also, don't want to see anyone else go through it!!
  • Spring, TX · Member since 2014 · 75 posts · 39 votes
    8y
    Ive used cozy.co for nearly a year and have been very happy with the service
  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 54 posts · 30 votes
    8y
    Thanks Don Daniels I really wish I had asked the awesome members like you on this site before!
  • Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2014 · 397 posts · 161 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Patrick O.:

    I had a rental payment processed on 10/4/17 and still haven't received payment. Their Facebook page has a post saying processing that's normally 2-3 days will be 3-5 because they're changing banks. They never sent notice prior to this change or else I would have had the tenant mail it for this month. Also, after realizing they were having issues instead of directly notifying anyone who could be effected they put a blanket statement out on Facebook. I only noticed because I happened to go to the bank yesterday. I find this very troubling and was wondering if anyone has had a similar issue or any thought on how to handle it

     Patrick,

    I sent you a reply to your earlier message as we are addressing the issue as quickly as possible.  There is no excuse for the delay and we are taking the necessary steps to address the issue.  I can message you or call you with additional information.  Thank you.

  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 54 posts · 30 votes
    8y
    Appreciate your response @Rick S. The latest message I received from you definitely helped clarify but I am quite disappointed in the lack of communication prior. I wouldn't have even realized were it not for me randomly making a trip to the bank yesterday. Mistakes do happen but being direct, upfront and honest about them is essential. My hope is that this will be resolved ASAP and that maybe your company and the awesome BP community can learn from it
  • Investor · Padstow New South Wales, Australia · Member since 2015 · 38 posts · 27 votes
    8y

    I use it for just one tenant at the moment and find it works great for me as an out of country landlord.

    The most recent payment took nearly a week to come through their system but still hasn't hit my bank yet. I just figured it was some sort of bank to bank glitch, which it obviously is.

  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 54 posts · 30 votes
    8y
    Thanks Laurence K. That was my assumption as well but can't understand why they wouldn't directly notify customers and update them continually. As a customer, I don't think you should have to guess
  • Ben Lomond, CA · Member since 2016 · 338 posts · 337 votes
    8y

    I also use erentpayment.com... I think I am going to check out cozy.co - I keep hearing great things about it. 

  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 54 posts · 30 votes
    8y
    As an update to anyone who has any thoughts of using eRentPayment, they just sent out an email letting us know that their lawyer is finally going to contact the bank about releasing our money, that they are finally speaking to their bank about raising funds to generate our payments and that they are finally speaking to past investment groups about raising funds to generate our payments. No one from this company thought of being proactive and taking these steps before tying up our funds. This is an admission that they can't cover our funds despite previous statements that their company had no financial issues. And they are just now taking the steps of group emails to update customers on the misuse of their funds. All of these troubles could have been avoided had they notified customers prior to their failed bank change so people could make alternative arrangements or if they had readied a holdover fund in case of any hiccups. My hope is that this experience will help better prepare any future landlords of the potential hiccups and risks that are out there
  • Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 146 posts · 63 votes
    8y

    I'm going to have to make the switch.  I can't afford to wait weeks for my money.  This is a business and I have to make mortgage payments and other obligations.  This is completely unacceptable.  If this isn't cleared up in a a day or two.  Bye erentpayments.  I used you for the last 2 years with no issues.  No communication, no back up reserves, etc.

  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 54 posts · 30 votes
    8y
    I agree completely @Kimberly H
  • Investor · Tulsa, OK · Member since 2017 · 102 posts · 88 votes
    8y

    I have been recommending them but may have to change that... You don't mess with a person's family or money :)

  • Seattle, WA · Member since 2016 · 48 posts · 27 votes
    8y

    If you are the manager of erentpayments.com, can you please tell the biggerpockets landlords that use your service when we should be expecting our tenant's rent payments.

    For the bp members reading this, I'm having the same experience as the OP.

    To start, I've been using erentpayment.com for about a year now without any issues - until recently.

    I have a tenant that made a rent payment on 10/4/17, and was stated by erentpayment's website dashboard that my tenant's payment was deposited on 10/13/2017 into my account.

    Here it is today on 10/16/2017, and no deposit was posted into my bank account.  Adding insult to injury, I was still charged a processing fee from erentpayment.

    I called their customer service number, and was greeted with a message stating "due to high call volumes, we are not taking any phone calls at this time". I was instructed to email them with my concerns and that it will be responded to in one business day.

    As I type this post, I received an email response from erentpayment.com stating:

    "Hello,


    Our processing bank has been delaying payments and holding deposits. Due to this, we are working to leave that bank, and have already established a new bank for payments going forward. We are working to get the funds released that have been delayed. Here is the update we are sending so that you know what to expect, and we will continue to update you:
    We apologize for the mass reply, however we are trying to reply as quickly as possible on the current status of the issue:

    They are still holding funds in a "reserve" account claiming they need to hold the funds in case of any future returns, however we have very few returns after the normal return period. We are no longer processing any new transactions through them since all new transactions will go through our new bank so here are the steps we are taking today:

    1. Our lawyer is contacting them this morning to demand immediate release of the reserve funds. Our lawyer was not able to contact them this weekend since their office is closed on the weekends.

    2. We have already talked to our bank to raise additional funds to put down to get the reserve account funds released.

    3. We are also talking to past investment groups that have contacted us in case we need to raise any additional funds.

    We know this isn't the answer you want to hear, however we will get this resolved. We understand the issues caused by the delayed deposits and that regardless of the situation we have encountered you need a quick resolution.

    We will continue to update you as we receive updates this morning from all the parties involved.

    Rick
    Manager of eRentPayment

    Please let us know if there is anything else we can assist with. Thank you.

    Charli
    eRentPayment "

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Chicago Suburbs, IL · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 594 votes
    8y

    There is a group of 20 people and growing via Facebook chat about this, look at the recent comments on erentpayments Facebook and friend the Erica Edwards who has commented there.

  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 54 posts · 30 votes
    8y
    @Clay Owens I couldn't possibly think of recommending them after this. I really hope they haven't committed any crime. The comments section on their Facebook page would sure open up many eyes to anyone thinking about using them.
  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 54 posts · 30 votes
    8y
    @Radley Estrada I find it very odd that they're supposedly in contact with a lawyer but yet there's been no statements from said lawyer to the customers. If my customers were on my Facebook page threatening legal action against me I would be certain to have my lawyer post a statement and offer some type of documentation to prove my innocence.
  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 54 posts · 30 votes
    8y
    @Kimberly H, thanks for the info and I have since accepted Erica's invite to the group chat. I think we're all hoping nothing criminal has occurred but it may be safer to let anyone know so they can take precautions
  • Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2017 · 15 posts · 12 votes
    8y

    Hey Patrick,

    I would recommend using cozy.co . My family has used that for the past year and the service is amazing. Would highly recommend switching over.

  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 54 posts · 30 votes
    8y
    Thanks @Frank Manning. I browsed their site earlier and have mentioned them to others today based off of the recommendations on here. Very concerning that eRentPayment still has not paid me my money that they processed on 10/4/17. I hope everyone on this site advises anyone they know about the troubles surrounding them
  • Rental Property Investor · Yardley, PA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 561 votes
    8y

    My rents processed on 10/1 were deposited, but one that processes on the 6th has not.

  • Paducah, KY · Member since 2016 · 75 posts · 45 votes
    8y
    I’m in same boat with eRentPayment- several thousand dollars tied up with them. If anyone sees progress getting their funds released please let me know.
  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 54 posts · 30 votes
    8y
    @Scott Weaner it's not looking good. Erica Edwards has a Facebook messenger chat going on. You may want to join. Their handling of the situation has been terrible. I encourage @Rick S to start providing some real answers with some real proof backed up by a real lawyer. In the meantime it may be in your best interest to avoid their service and tell anyone you know who could also be effected
  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 54 posts · 30 votes
    8y
    @Mason DeJarnett I'll be sure to keep this post updated
  • Investor · VA · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    I'm also using erentpayments, but will no longer. I had to reach out to them to inquire about this issue, which they were currently aware of. I'm apart of the FB chat and we are currently speaking with a law firm for a class action suit. I highly recommend BP members to not use this service. Its grown into a real nightmare for a lot of RE investors.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.