Did I just purchase a property with a bogus inspection?

Did I just purchase a property with a bogus inspection?

Investor · Alhambra, CA · Member since 2017 · 53 posts · 28 votes

Here's my situation:

I purchased a property in August. The seller had the property inspected by the city just before I purchased it and it passed. Fast forward to October, my tenant was getting utilities in his name with a copy of that inspection, required by city, and the inspection had expired, inspections are only good for 45 days. No big deal. We will just have the inspector go out again, $100. This time a different inspector failed the inspection and has uncovered a ton of issues, $5000+ so far. Plus the inspector that passed the inspection in August is no longer employed with the city. To top it off my tenant backed out as he needed a place ASAP. I connected with the seller who is perplexed about the whole thing saying why would one pass it and another not pass it. 

Do I have any recourse with the city as I purchased the property based on a good inspection?

Ultimately I am not going to let this derail me, but would like to know my options. 

Cheers,

Mark

PS----I hope this doesn't become a money pit. 

0Reply
11 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    8y
    No.
  • Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    I'd assume the city would have a copy of the passed inspection.... you could at least verify it was done.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.