Property Manager · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2008 · 51 posts · 61 votes
A friend asked me this question and I told him my suggestion. Posting here to get everyone else's suggestion. Here is his question
This is a little strange and i need advise.
My renter always pays late, takes a couple phone calls and emails. The 10th or
so of June he says he will pay that week. I didn't hear from him after that.
Went to the house, asked the neighbor to call if he saw any life there. An hour
latter he calls and I went over there. The guys ex-wife was there and told me he
was killed in a motorcycle accident but she would pay June and July rent. --She
hasn't. She might and I hope so but can't trust her anymore, too long anyway, I
know, I know. So, my good friends, who can tell me just what and how I do this.
I don't have a clue where I start.
My initial response was to file eviction on the tenant and check the box that says "all other occupants". Start the eviction process to kick out the ex living there that is not on the lease.
Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
16y
Hi Jennifer, you are right, just didn't trust your own judgment...serve the eviction notice, post that and I'd simply ask her to move on and see what she says. Check with your state law, here the lease terminates upon death, so you have no lease agreement, you have a squatter if she is divorced and is not on the lease. Now, gotta go, Have a great 4th of July weekend, be safe...Bill