Are robot vacuums useful for cleaning rentals?

4 Replies

Do you have any experience using robot vacuums for cleaning your rentals?   I’m considering using them this year and would be interested in your thoughts. Thanks 

While occupied it isn't your job to vacuum for the tenants, while vacant it would probably be cheaper to use a regular vacuum because it should only need to be done once before it is rented again. Also you would have to be present to empty the small holding container on the robot vacuums.

Originally posted by @John Chapman :

Do you have any experience using robot vacuums for cleaning your rentals?   I’m considering using them this year and would be interested in your thoughts. Thanks 

I imagine we are talking about regular cleaning of common areas? Don't see this being plausible for a couple reasons.

1. Tenants throw trash on the floor that is too big for the robots to handle.

2. For it to make any sense you'd have to leave the robot out to doc in the public area then automatically begin cleaning at set times. As soon as you do this the tenants are simply going to steal your robot.

My thinking was that it would just be a tool for the cleaners— instead of a normal vacuum. They would inspect the area to be vacuumed and then turn it on while the human cleaners were working on the kitchen or bathroom.  First make sure no dog poop on the floor as in the USA article!

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here