Rental Property Investor · Northern, CA · Member since 2012 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
8y
I've found that the best way to manage their expectations is through good communication. By that I mean that I acknowledge their repair request promptly and work on coming up with a mutually agreeable day/time to complete the repair. If a tenant notifies me of a repair that's needed, I may or may not actually start the repair the same day (depending on the type/severity of the needed repair), but I will always acknowledge the repair request so they know I'm aware of it and have a plan for responding to it.
I also explain the repair process so they understand any delays or why it may take longer to complete a repair than they expected. For example, if their A/C goes out in the middle of July when everyone else's A/C goes out and the repair guy is going to take an extra day or two to get out there, then I just explain that to them. Or, let's say there's a drywall repair or a cabinet that needs repainting, they may be under the impression it should be an easy one-visit fix. However, I will explain to them that I may have to go over there once to do the repair, again to apply primer, and again to paint it after the primer dries. I've found that if I explain all this to them upfront that I never get any pushback, but if you don't explain it then they may not understand why a particular repair is taking so long and just assume that you're not taking it serious or you don't care.
Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2017 · 273 posts · 91 votes
8y
Hi Nabeel,
Working for a larger apartment complex, we had different urgency sizes. Immediate: Immediate included fixes that would interfere with their safety or well being. For example; locks on the doors or toilets or showers if it is a one bedroom unit. 24 hours: They can choose 24 hours if they need to be fixed soon but it is not a safety or well-being issue, Finally, standard. The key with the standard is for you to be in contact with the resident so they know you did not forget about them; give them a timeline or at least an update with progress.
This normally worked for us, even with residents filling out their maintenance request online and choosing the urgency.
Rental Property Investor · Northern, CA · Member since 2012 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
8y
I've found that the best way to manage their expectations is through good communication. By that I mean that I acknowledge their repair request promptly and work on coming up with a mutually agreeable day/time to complete the repair. If a tenant notifies me of a repair that's needed, I may or may not actually start the repair the same day (depending on the type/severity of the needed repair), but I will always acknowledge the repair request so they know I'm aware of it and have a plan for responding to it.
I also explain the repair process so they understand any delays or why it may take longer to complete a repair than they expected. For example, if their A/C goes out in the middle of July when everyone else's A/C goes out and the repair guy is going to take an extra day or two to get out there, then I just explain that to them. Or, let's say there's a drywall repair or a cabinet that needs repainting, they may be under the impression it should be an easy one-visit fix. However, I will explain to them that I may have to go over there once to do the repair, again to apply primer, and again to paint it after the primer dries. I've found that if I explain all this to them upfront that I never get any pushback, but if you don't explain it then they may not understand why a particular repair is taking so long and just assume that you're not taking it serious or you don't care.
Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
8y
Unless it’s a safety or damage issue, I always also try to provide a workaround.
The trap under the sink is leaking, put a bucket or pot under it and we’ll get there tomorrow to check it out. The if we need a plumber, it may take another day or two.
Sometimes tenants just don’t think of a temporary workaround.