Ever bought a house, then unable to find a renter?

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
16y

If you can't find a renter, what makes you think you'll find a buyer?

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    16y

    If you can't find a renter, what makes you think you'll find a buyer?

  • Realtor · Gallatin, TN · Member since 2009 · 292 posts · 164 votes
    16y

    +1 ... what Steve said.

    What are the market rents in the area? Are you asking to much?

    Try running a special if you must, or dropping rents to better match those within the market you are currently in.

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    16y

    Virtually any house will rent. Price it at or below market. Also, make sure it is in good condition, clean, and shows well. Also, expand your advertising.

  • Real Estate Investor · MD · Member since 2010 · 124 posts · 84 votes
    16y

    BR, I have always charged market rents and am very particular so my properties on average can take a while to get rented. What I am doing this year is getting different types of voucher tenants. In my city there are so many besides section 8. What I recommend is you look into the different voucher programs. Google section 8 and your city to get a starting point. Also see if gosection8 works in your neighborhood as I have had great success finding tenants with it.

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 282 votes
    16y

    Thanks. This is not about a specific house that I've made an offer on -- I was just wondering if this ever happens.

  • OR · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 845 votes
    16y

    It could, if you weren't careful about what you'd bought.

    On top of that, with this economy, we've had a couple of very slow rental periods in my area, as tenants lost their jobs and moved away, making it difficult to find an applicant who could pass the screening.

    I've been able to fill vacancies, but sometimes it takes awhile. There are lots of applicants that I wouldn't accept under any circumstances.

    If a house is not rent-able because of location/ neighborhood, it is going to be darn hard to sell. Look at some areas of Detroit. Houses wont sell for $5,000. You can get houses for free, but I don't know why you'd want them.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.