Best Exterior Paint (Color Too) for Rental - Budget Pricing

Best Exterior Paint (Color Too) for Rental - Budget Pricing

Rental Property Investor · Saint Petersburg, FL · Member since 2011 · 46 posts · 5 votes

I need to quickly and cheaply repaint the exterior of a duplex. Have the labor, just looking for a decent paint I can pick up from Lowes or Home Depot, etc. Also, color suggestions welcome. It's currently white, which is a no go (shows too much mold down here in Florida). We had horrible tenants we had to evict that called code enforcement hoping they could stay (even though they weren't paying). She's very picky and is complaining about the property having peeling paint and won't let it go. Thank you!

0Reply
18 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    8y

    @Kristen Watts I'm interested to see what everyone else says. I would pick a tan. You can use a product called "wet it and forget it" that you spray on house and prevent mold from growing, or you could paint it a green color to have the mold blend in :)

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    As to color, I think a lot depends on the style of the house and what's happening in your neighborhood. 

    I used to work in a Victorian neighborhood and someone just bought one of the houses and painted the outside completely white. May work great in Cape Cod, but looks completely out of place here, because Victorian colors are all about contrast. 

    I'm about to paint 2 of my houses with Sherwin Williams Urbane Bronze, which is a very dark charcoal/brown color. All the trim work will be bright white, to offset it. I've seen many houses here recently painted in very dark colors, almost black, with white trim. I understand that's the trend right now. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.