Repairs on Damage from Plumbing Leak - Repair or Improvement?

Repairs on Damage from Plumbing Leak - Repair or Improvement?

San Francisco, CA · Member since 2008 · 77 posts · 41 votes

I had a plumbing leak in my rental property that caused damage in the wall, sub-floor and tile.  The property manager hired a contractor to repair the drywall, sub-floor and replace the flooring.  I'm having trouble distinguishing whether or not this is considered a repair or an improvement.  

0Reply
18 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Augusta, GA · Member since 2017 · 825 posts · 278 votes
    8y

    Repair is in the name. I think you would have a hard time arguing this was an improvement to the IRS. If it is about getting something back up to where it was, it is a repair.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.