What makes a slumlord

What makes a slumlord

IL · Member since 2010 · 46 posts · 1 vote

Ok for the landlords out there question.
I did math on a bunch of properties and saw in my area the only way to make positive cash flow on a property is that it starts around 6+units which is like 800k starting, and the only other way is slumlord in crappy neighborhoods and who says you will get any rent money from these guys?

What am i missing?

0Reply
172 views

Most Popular Reply

Homeowner · Burleson, TX · Member since 2008 · 756 posts · 376 votes
16y

Please define "crappy neighborhood".

My rentals are working class, mid to lower income housing. I provide a clean house at a fair price. They cashflow well. I have had my share of good tenants and bad. i am not a slumlord. I reinvest some money into maintenance on my units. I have them cleaned between tenants.

I have friends that have high end rentals. They have their share of good tenants and bad.

To me, a slumlord is a person that takes the cashflow and never does any maintenance on his property and runs them into the dirt. Then he wants to sell them at top dollar and is outraged as to why he isn't successful. Just my opinion.

See this reply in the discussion

60 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Mike Kruser:
    Oh hey quick question, would anyone know any good website that tells you about the property and how much each unit rents for currently?

    Thanks, mike


    Mike, you're hijacking your own thread! That's a local thing, try the Board of Realtors....
  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y

    Bill, fair enough. This couldn't have been timed more perfectly with a deadbeat tenant at my most in-demand house in the nicest area (nicer than where I live, which is probably wrong) threatening to pull the slumlord card on me to break her lease get her deposit back. Probably put me in the worst possible mood for this thread.

    Mike, read Mr. Luithy's response. I won't pretend to know what all his responsibilities are, his position is like or his daily job life is like but I have read his local paper interviews in the past and imagine he has a full time job and a half, especially at a time of war. He's found a way to do that while being a landlord.

    A full time job is only 40-50 hours a week. That leaves 118 to 128 hours a week.

  • IL · Member since 2010 · 46 posts · 1 vote
    16y

    Theres some good Cash-flow properties in Indiana but i have no idea what the neighborhood is like. Any ideas what I should do? because I dont want to see a perfect property and go down there and there gangsters everywhere, im not trying to be a slumlord

  • IL · Member since 2010 · 46 posts · 1 vote
    16y
    Originally posted by Marc Freislinger:
    As they both said, Indiana is the place to invest if you live in Chicago. $150,000 can you 4 or more $800+ rentals in Indianapolis. I had an offer in on a property a while back that ended up selling for 14K, needed 10k in repairs, and will rent for $1200 a month.

    Check all the "top real estate investment" city articles and you'll see Indy there somewhere.

    Hell, I had a 6plex in a small town making $1900 a month that I picked up for $60k.. still beating myself up over selling that one.


    wow seems like 150k can long ways in Indianapolis
  • Investor · Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2009 · 391 posts · 257 votes
    16y

    Mike,
    What are your goals with investing? Are you looking for cash flow rentals? I am guessing that you are based upon this thread but that is a question that only you can answer. If so, I would recommend that you begin looking in Indiana for several reasons:
    1. It is close enough to make a day trip to check on your investments.
    2. Property taxes: Indiana raised their sales tax to lower the property taxes.
    3. Reasonable landowner friendly courts.
    4. There are plenty of locations that meet or exced the 2% rule without needing to pack a weapon to view your property.

    I know Ft Wayne and there is a ready supply of quality homes available for investors.
    I am familiar with Indianapolis and there are plenty of quality rental areas there as well.
    Tim is working another area of Indiana.

    I can assist you if you need contacts here in Ft Wayne. I am sure that you could reach out to Marc in Indy and check with Tim on the area that he is working.

    I understand your concern: Sure Indiana is great but where do I start?

    I would definitely recommend that you get educated on whatever area you choose to pursue. There is plenty of assistance here on BP.

    You will also want to decide if you are interested in buying and rehabbing or if you are looking for turnkey investments. You will also want property mangement since you are out of town.

    I can put you in contact with the realtors, property manager, contractors, and insurance guys that I use here in Ft Wayne.

    I am sure there are others here working other parts of Indiana that could help you with their contacts.

    I will leave you with one last bit of advice: It is far better to say: I am sorry that I missed that deal as opposed to I am sorry that I bought this deal.

    I do not want to imply that you do not want to take action but making a mistake buying the wrong piece of property can sometimes take a long time to overcome.

    Best of luck to you.
    Chris

  • Homeowner · Burleson, TX · Member since 2008 · 756 posts · 376 votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Mike Kruser:
    Originally posted by Financexaminer:
    Mike K, if you have another life and rentals, you really need a handyman on call, someone who can get over there and take care of small emergencies. If you have to take off from a paying job every time you get a call, you probably won't have that job very long.


    If i find a handyman there goes my profits?
    I have know idea how you guys do it, im guessing you guys dont have full-time jobs?


    I am a full time teacher during the school year. I work 8-5 when school is in session. I do some repairs(getting to be less and less) and I do hire out some stuff. There are many people out there that need jobs and I'm very happy to provide employment for them.

    When I buy a rental, I spend the up front time to make sure it is up to my standards. I also put in new appliances and fixtures. I get very few calls for repairs.

  • Flipper · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2009 · 973 posts · 679 votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Mike Kruser:
    Originally posted by Financexaminer:
    Mike K, if you have another life and rentals, you really need a handyman on call, someone who can get over there and take care of small emergencies. If you have to take off from a paying job every time you get a call, you probably won't have that job very long.


    If i find a handyman there goes my profits?
    I have know idea how you guys do it, im guessing you guys dont have full-time jobs?


    I manage about 30 units, and own 4. I work about 60 hours a week at my "day job," and have no issues. I have 2 handymen that I can call to do maintenance that I pay $10/hr, and I have a bookkeeper that works part time. I know how long things take to fix, and my guys don't take advantage. I wouldn't be afraid at all to buy out of the area. You need to be where the money is, and its not chicago.

    Most maintenance is caused by tenants, and billed to the tenants anyway.

    As for being a slumlord, I agree that its the property and tenants, not the area. If you keep your house maintained, and keep good tenants, then your not a slumlord. There are very few places in Indy that'd I'd be afraid to walk through at night.

    Every owner I've worked with has nothing but good things to say about our system, afaik. Well, not counting the one we had to send to collections for payment, but they were slumlords!

    I posted some areas in Indy to look at in another recent post, or you can PM me.

    www.rentometer.com can sometimes help you see rent rates.

  • IL · Member since 2010 · 46 posts · 1 vote
    16y

    Thanks guys have been soooo helpful! If you could shoot me a some PM's on some areas to consider I would appreciate it.

  • Investor · Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2009 · 391 posts · 257 votes
    16y

    Mike,
    Feel free to send me an e-mail (in my signature) if I can help answer questions about Ft Wayne.
    Chris

  • Real Estate Investor · Northbrook, IL · Member since 2009 · 21 posts · 0 votes
    16y

    I couldnt help notice you guys were talking about Indiana, would you know any area that meets the 2% and the 50%? I was looking around the Fort Wayne area, possible some others. Thanks!

    BTW did someone move this post before? i could of sworn i posted it on this topic

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.