Tenant wanted to pay every week I allowed it for one month now he

Tenant wanted to pay every week I allowed it for one month now he

Cole Camp, MO · Member since 2018 · 23 posts · 2 votes

I have a tenant that asked if he could pay his rent partially per week and it would be paid off by the end of the 4th week. This has continued for 3 months now and it is a fight every single Friday when he is supposed to pay rent. He expects me to pick up every Friday this was not part of the deal and I am not able to do that every Friday as I have children and another business to run. I told him after a long fight this Friday I will no longer be doing the week by week I will be doing it as it states on his lease and this will start the next month. He told me no and he refuses to do it and that I had an attitude with him so he doesn't have to do anything. I need some advice be greatly appreciated thank you

0Reply
12 views

Most Popular Reply

Ryan MurdockPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
8y

There is no need for a fight. It's simple: He complies with the payment dates and method detailed in the lease or you move to evict him.

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ryan MurdockPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    There is no need for a fight. It's simple: He complies with the payment dates and method detailed in the lease or you move to evict him.

  • Rental Property Investor · Glendale, CA · Member since 2013 · 685 posts · 334 votes
    8y

    I suggest you remember that maintaining a rental property is a business as well and your emotions should be separated is such transactions. There is no need for you to argue with your tenant - perhaps he is not a good fit or wasn't vetted right. 

    As a courtesy, you can consider writing him a letter informing him that beginning next month you will be enforcing your lease and spell out the section that specifics what his obligations are and I suggest that you start communicating with him via electronic mail from here on in.

    Prepare to file a notice to pay rent or quit as soon as it applies and proceed with an unlawful detainer. Sometimes evicting is part of the business. 

    To your success!

  • Cole Camp, MO · Member since 2018 · 23 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    Thank you for such a wonderful non judgement reply  that is excellent advice .  I appreciate that .

  • Cole Camp, MO · Member since 2018 · 23 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    if electronic mail is not a possibility for him, what other options of communication do I have besides text and phone calls. I would prefer not to have to talk to him through the phone. But I believe he does not have an email would never read what I have sent

  • Ryan MurdockPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Paige Roberts If calling is your only real option do that but you have to control the conversation. Don't allow him to wander off on drama filled tangents. Say what you have to say, lay down the law, and get off the phone. No marathon midnight text sessions either. 

    And whatever you tell him, it's only as good as your follow through with the consequences if he fails to comply.

    If don't control your tenants they will most definitely control you.

  • Durham, NC · Member since 2013 · 502 posts · 215 votes
    8y

    At that stage, everything you say must be in written form and copied for your own records. Send letters, they are fast. When important, send by certified mail. Regard communication in this instance as the preparation for making your case in front of a judge. It might not get to that step, but you want to be prepared. Sometimes, the prospect of eviction sets tenants straight. And make sure you act according to your lease and the law. If you are not familiar with the state statutes and city ordinance yet, it is time to do some reading. Luckily, much of the necessary info is meanwhile online. Best of luck.

  • Cole Camp, MO · Member since 2018 · 23 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    Thank you everyone  for the great advice .  He has not paid this week's rent  and with my son just having a major surgery there is no way I'm able to pick it up .  I'm not sure what to do ,  should I just wait until  he is past due for the two weeks and send a pay or notice to quit ?  Or how should I handle this  if I do not get this weeks  rent  thank you all for being so kind

  • Coraopolis, PA · Member since 2018 · 36 posts · 27 votes
    8y

    Does your lease specify weekly or monthly? If he has not paid the rent in accordance with the lease is there a reason you are waiting?

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y
    If rent was due on the first and is now late, send a pay or quit notice tomorrow. No need to draw it out longer than needed. Rent is late so you need to start the process.
  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    8y

    The first thing you must do is send him a letter outlining your requirement for him to pay his rent monthly. Make it clear that he is responsible for insuring the rent is in your hands no later than midnight on the first of each month for the entire monthly rental fee. Communicate only in writing.

    I would issue the pay or quit notice immediately. Time to stop playing games and put on your landlord pants.

    I would expect that you will have to evict this tenant and will be better off once you do.

  • Investor · Jasper GA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Set up a checking account and let him deposit the rent into it each week.  Don't let him make a big deal out of it.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.