neighbor is a drug a ddic what do I do

neighbor is a drug a ddic what do I do

Milwaukee , WI · Member since 2017 · 58 posts · 10 votes
Hey everyone I have opted to live in the ghetto to save money to buy my first duplex I should be able to buy it with cash in a good area within 2 years. I am from the suburbs so I stick out like a sore thumb and am not sure what to do I am just laying low. My neighbor is a drug a ddic in this multifamily apartment complex it smells rancid just ****ing horrid. stinks up the whole hall. my next door neighbor was he couldn't pay rent and the landlord evicted him the smell was gone for a bit after they aired out his room. but the same ****ing smell is back again just as strong just in the room down the hall. it's like he just decided to bunk with the neighbor because he couldn't pay and is back at it with the drugs again. it is literally the exact same smell. I am on unemployment right now it only smells durring the normal time people go to work. so I am the only one who smells it. what do I do? I am from the suburbs and even I have heard people say snitches get stitches and I don't want any stitches. or bullet holes. If it comes down to it I can just deal with the smell it's only temporary untill I buy the duplex so I'm fine. I just really want to know if I have any options. I know the landlord great guy I get along with him well. he is actually a pastor. So what are the options that won't get me shot?
0Reply
17 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 930 votes
8y

That's part of living in the ghetto. Deal with it for two years and move, or move now and save less.

See this reply in the discussion

20 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 930 votes
    8y

    That's part of living in the ghetto. Deal with it for two years and move, or move now and save less.

  • Milwaukee , WI · Member since 2017 · 58 posts · 10 votes
    8y
    thanks looks like I'm dealing with it. well at least I know in two years it will all be worth it
  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    8y

    Well, you could always go out and pound the pavement during the hours that everyone else is at work and find work. Then you'll be at work the same time as them and not smell anything. How does all of this fit into your 2-year strategy? Unemployment in most places is barely enough to feed yourself, much less save for investment property. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Milwaukee , WI · Member since 2017 · 58 posts · 10 votes
    8y
    dual income my sweetheart works and my unemployment is about 400 a week currently my bills are 800 a month between her high income and that even if I don't find a job soon we are still saving 3k a month on top of our current savings.once I get a job it will be faster. but pounding the pavement for a job is actually a great idea I didn't even think of that thanks it hits 2 birds with one stone no smell and I'll more likely find work
  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Brad Pietrzak:
    dual income my sweetheart works and my unemployment is about 400 a week currently my bills are 800 a month between her high income and that even if I don't find a job soon we are still saving 3k a month on top of our current savings.once I get a job it will be faster. but pounding the pavement for a job is actually a great idea I didn't even think of that thanks it hits 2 birds with one stone no smell and I'll more likely find work

     OK, so you have a plan. There are other options for inexpensive living besides living in the ghetto. You can find roommates in a better area. You can become a roommate for someone else looking for a tenant. You can live further out. You can get a used RV/Van and stay in a nice campground with electricity. ETC. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Milwaukee , WI · Member since 2017 · 58 posts · 10 votes
    8y
    Yea you are right I should check out roomates I thought about it before I just didn't want to sign a lease and here I didn't have to so it gave me the freedom to act if I did find a property at a deal when I was ready. but then again thinking about it It is a 2 year plan and I plan on buying with straight cash. so I could probably comftorably sign a lease and forget about it untill then. I guess I'll start looking again now that I actually think about it. I just wasn't focused on that part I had just the obsessive focus to keep my bottom line costs as low as possible no matter the cost. I'll have to run the numbers on roosting in a better area to see what it brings me to weather I can save the same amount or not. appreciate the imput id live in a rv but they provide utility's and internet here I wouldn't have internet in the rv. that I would know of at least at a price I would be ok with I will rebook into the roomate thing! thanks so much!
  • Rental Property Investor · Torrance, CA · Member since 2016 · 724 posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    I lived in the hood for 3 years in order to save for my duplex. My experience was about the same as you describe. My advice...deal with it. You’re in the ghetto if this guy gets kicked out another one just like him will move in. You’re not going to get these people to live to your standards. Don’t even try. This sacrifice is necessary and part of the process. Becoming successful hurts, that’s how you know it’s working. I always took a lot of satisfaction out of the ghetto ness of my 3 years in the hood. When I experienced these things it made me feel good, because I knew most people simply don’t have the guts to do what I was willing to do to be successful. It was validation that I was out working my competition. They valued comfort more than I did, and that was their weakness. I heard gun shots, there fights in the hallway, all that good stuff. So suck it up, and when you smell the drugs just smile.
  • Milwaukee , WI · Member since 2017 · 58 posts · 10 votes
    8y
    thanks man this actually helps i heard gunshots the other day right putside of the building. it actually really helps to look at it from that angle. my family all said I was crazy. none of them are successful though not to my standards at least. reminds me of a quote from Eric Thomas your allready in pain don't cry to give up cry to keep going get a reward from it
  • Milwaukee , WI · Member since 2017 · 58 posts · 10 votes
    8y
    except my direct parents there pretty successful and like the only support that I have
  • Rockaway, NJ · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Brad Pietrzak:
    Yea you are right I should check out roomates I thought about it before I just didn't want to sign a lease and here I didn't have to so it gave me the freedom to act if I did find a property at a deal when I was ready. but then again thinking about it It is a 2 year plan and I plan on buying with straight cash. so I could probably comftorably sign a lease and forget about it untill then. I guess I'll start looking again now that I actually think about it. I just wasn't focused on that part I had just the obsessive focus to keep my bottom line costs as low as possible no matter the cost. I'll have to run the numbers on roosting in a better area to see what it brings me to weather I can save the same amount or not.

    appreciate the imput id live in a rv but they provide utility's and internet here I wouldn't have internet in the rv. that I would know of at least at a price I would be ok with I will rebook into the roomate thing! thanks so much!

     No reason to buy with straight cash when you get fha with 3.5% down, or conventional with 10-15%. buying all cash reduces your cash on cash return as well

  • Rental Property Investor · Torrance, CA · Member since 2016 · 724 posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    When I look back it was the most rewarding experience of my life. When you put yourself through pain it builds you up in a way that can’t be explained to people that value comfort. After awhile the gunshots won’t scare you anymore. The crime is mostly criminal on criminal. Just keep your mouth shut and mind your own business and you’ll be fine. The last thing you want to do is make a scene about your neighbor. It’s going to be a miserable 2 years if you do. Just mind your own business and treat your neighbors with general respect. People were dealing drugs in my building and I just acted like I didn’t see anything.
  • Milwaukee , WI · Member since 2017 · 58 posts · 10 votes
    8y
    I would do fha I have the va home loan. I personally want to do cash for my first one though so I can learn about being a landlord and have a place that is 100 percent mine. after the first one we plan on doing a va loan then a fha loan the year after we would prefer to mainly live off of dividends from our stocks anyhow there is less work for upkeep for similar growth if you know what your doing. and untill I master real estate I won't be finding those 30 percent cash on cash returns I hear about any time soon with my stock returns it just wouldn't make sense unless the property can provide a overall return of 12 percent or higher
  • Rental Property Investor · Torrance, CA · Member since 2016 · 724 posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    Main thing you need to grow the business is a solid W-2 income. Who cares about the neighbors you need to get off unemployment.
  • Software Developer · Vidor, TX · Member since 2015 · 922 posts · 639 votes
    8y

    Yeah I lived in the ghetto when I was a kid with my wife (then girlfriend) before we built our first home.  Looking back, I can never really pin-point what made me so stupid.  We were always like, "We need more money to build.", but in reality we had enough to cover closing and DP on the construction loan before we even moved into the ghetto.

    Was it worth it?  Hell nah!  My car was broken into multiple times, a hooker lived up stairs and would bang different dudes (I guess they paid her more to yell?), gunshots all the time and a lady barged into our apartment one night saying she was raped (she paid me $5 to drop her off on a corner).

    I always thought my parents were just mad because I moved out.  Nope, turns out I was just a dumb kid and they knew better.  I'd be in the exact same situation financially had I not subjected myself to that mess.

    Do yourself a favor, spend the entirety of your 1600/month on housing, utilities and etc, save 2,200/month instead for now and get the hell out of the ghetto.  Sacrifice by eating Ramen, not putting your 'sweetheart' and yourself in danger.      

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y

    Move out , the law of averages is against you , sooner or later someone will smell out  your weakness and rob you or your girl friend  or worse . 

    I would live in my car in the burbs before I would move to the hood 

  • Milwaukee , WI · Member since 2017 · 58 posts · 10 votes
    8y
    We arnt married we are postponing our wedding untill we have enough to buy the duplex. been together for 4 years so we are pretty sure. she doesn't live with me due to cultural differences she has to stay living with family untill she is married. so it's only me being subjected to this mess.
  • Milwaukee , WI · Member since 2017 · 58 posts · 10 votes
    8y
    I got a gun I'm not to worried I'm ex military I know how to use it. I have anxiaty disorder pretty bad and it was flairing up when I wrote this I'm sure I'll be fine with my safety the smell was just bugging me
  • Milwaukee , WI · Member since 2017 · 58 posts · 10 votes
    8y
    my car is a piece of **** to there is nothing to steal off of it it's 25 years old
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.