How do I handle a rude neighbor?

How do I handle a rude neighbor?

Rental Property Investor · Spring, TX · Member since 2016 · 75 posts · 24 votes
Hi BP team I have an empty rental property that I am currently rehabbing. I went to the house today to replace a ceiling fan and the neighbor was parked in my driveway and I couldn’t get in. I went to the front door and asked if they could please move so I can get in my garage. They didn’t open the door but said through it “ok”. 45 minutes later their car was still in my driveway. Now, I don’t want to make this person mad because they will end up ultimately taking it out on my new tenant. I wanted to go knock again and sternly ask that they do what I asked. I mean, it’s my driveway! But I was already leaving so I decided to file a complaint with the HOA instead. I haven’t submitted the complaint yet because I wanted to get some advice from you guys. I don’t want this person to think they can walk all over me from now on, but I want to be nice. Any help on how to go about resolving this rude neighbor issue would be great.
0Reply
188 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Peoria, IL · Member since 2015 · 23 posts · 38 votes
8y
I would have waited about 30 seconds before having it towed.
See this reply in the discussion

55 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    8y

    I've had this happen before. In my case I went by a house one evening that was just purchased to see if the demo guys had cleaned up, since the HVAC crew was going to be there in the morning. I found a 27 foot Uhaul truck with a car attached to it on a trailer parked in my driveway AND in the alley. I knocked on a few of the neighbor's doors and no one knew who it belonged to. I left a note on the windshield, clearly visible from anywhere you could see the truck, that said something like:

    "Hello. I own this house. I realize you have a big rig here and parking it somewhere was difficult. I don't mind if you leave it in the driveway overnight, but it needs to be gone by 6 AM or it will be towed. Thanks for your cooperation."

    It was gone later that evening. In your case, I would have knocked and just played dumb: "Hello? Hi, there's a vehicle in my driveway that's not mine, and the towing company is on their way, but I thought I would knock on some of the neighbor's doors and see if anyone knows who owns it before it gets towed. Oh, it's yours? OK, great, I'm glad I caught you before the tow company gets here because they said they'd be here in 15 minutes. If you haven't moved it by the time they get here I'll just have them give you their tow lot information so you know where it can be picked up." 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

     Michaela G is a really nice person who likes to paint rainbows everywhere she goes. 

    OMG, that's hilarious! I can so be '***** on wheels', you have no idea! I have to be, working with D tenants. But I also learned that you sometimes have to give something to get something. 

    If I only wanted tenants with perfect credit, I'd never find anyone in this neighborhood. But I also try to create win-win situations and having a car parked in my driveway at a vacant house at night I see as a positive. 

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    8y

    If it was a one time thing then a chat with the tenant/owner and letting them know that this can't happen anymore should solve the problem. If the person continues to park in your driveway then I wouldn't spend much time trying to communicate with them and just have it towed. If you were worried about them taking it out on your tenant or your property you could always install a cheap security camera set up. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Spring, TX · Member since 2016 · 75 posts · 24 votes
    8y
    Thanks everyone. It definitely gives me a lot to think about. I have met this person before while they were getting out of this truck, so I wouldn’t be able to play dumb and act like I didn’t know it was theirs. BUT, I am not asserting myself enough and I need to show them, that this is my house and if it happens again, their property will physically be removed from my property via a tow truck. Just learn to be more of a *B*, Courtney, and everything will be OK 😄
  • Nicole A.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Baltimore County Maryland and Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    As I usually say, "firm, but friendly." You can word something that shows you demand respect, yet at the same time you don't come across hostile and you're even (genuinely) smiling. Most people seem to like that and respond fairly well in the end.

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    8y

    Unfortunately you lost the first battle and the neighbour now believes they own you, and rightly so, they do own you. Next time you see their vehicle in your laneway do not ask just have it towed.

    You then counteract your first loss. Get tough or get out otherwise ignorant people will forever walk all over you.

  • Real Estate Broker · Northeast PA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    Speak with your other neighbors around the house there, and get their impressions of that resident.  That should give you other perspective of the residents of that property.  If it's all bad news, I'd do the following:

    When it happens again, go to the neighbor with Bubba.  Or make friends with a police officer and have them accompany you.  Make sure you video the encounter--probably will be an entertaining exchange.  BTW, if they are dirt bags, criminals or cookin up a new batch of chemicals, they won't ever open the door. 

    Take photos of the vehicle and tags.  Keep a time log.  Tow if you must.  Install internet and exterior video cams. Purchase a Simply Safe or other type of alarm system.  (You can use it on other properties in future.)  Doesn't matter if it is even an "A" neighborhood--stuff happens!

    Until this situation is resolved, don't go there without your Bubba.  Safety is number one, which is one of the reasons we NEVER allow any of our staff to show property to unknown prospects after dark.  And hey, you're in Texas, right?  Doesn't EVERYBODY there carry?  LOL.

    Wishing you the best of luck! 

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Courtney Downtain:

    Thanks everyone. It definitely gives me a lot to think about. I have met this person before while they were getting out of this truck, so I wouldn’t be able to play dumb and act like I didn’t know it was theirs. BUT, I am not asserting myself enough and I need to show them, that this is my house and if it happens again, their property will physically be removed from my property via a tow truck. Just learn to be more of a *B*, Courtney, and everything will be OK 😄

    If you were being a *B*, you would just have it towed without even asking him nicely to move it. You are giving him two choices, either move the vehicle or I will have it towed. It is his choice. Being able to stand up for yourself is important not only in business, but in life. Saying no doesn't mean you are a *B*. If you say yes to everything, people will walk all over you for your entire life.

  • New York City, NY · Member since 2016 · 420 posts · 172 votes
    8y
    Get that person TOWED AT OWNERS EXPENSE. Don’t be a softy. Smh
  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    Don't know how it works in your area, but here in Atlanta, you'll have to first put up a sign from the towing company, stating that nobody's allowed to park there. You'll then have to wait 24 hours before the towing company will tow it on their dime (and then collect from him when he comes and picks it up)

    I believe, if you were just call a towing company, without that sign being there, then you'd have to pay the tow fee. 

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    8y

    Had a guy park his camper basically on my side lawn before.  The wheels were on his driveway but it overhung a lot.  Wouldn't have been so bad if there wasn't a large, obvious triangular patch of dead red grass where he was opening the door and peeing.  I was also showing the house for rent and everyone kept asking what was up with the creepy camper?

    Of course, parking it he ran over my underground sprinkler and broke it.  Claims he didn't.  Perfect driver, yada yada.  Jerk, really.  I asked how long he planned on staying.  He said as long as he felt like it.  He wasn't the owner.  He was the owners new bf (at 60).  

    I asked him to move his camper so I could repair the sprinkler.  He did to my surprise and stayed gone a while.  I quickly got some wire fencing and metal posts and installed a fence like my hair was on fire.

    2 days later he came over.  'I see what you did.  I can't get my camper in anymore.    How long you plan on leaving the fence up?'  As long as I feel like it.  He left. Later the guy was gone for good and the owner thanked me.  The rest is history.

    Try and be courteous to all, but sometimes being nice leaves you holding the bag.  I didn't enjoy putting a fence up, but it got the job done.    Have him towed him next time after asking and it won't happen again!

  • Investor · Taylor Mill, KY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 964 votes
    8y

    @Courtney Downtain A lot of these other people are much nicer than me. I would have sternly asked/told them to move it 5-10 minutes after the first ask and added that I'm calling a tow company in 2 minutes if it is still there. Maybe I'm just mean but my #1 pet peeve is people wasting my time and that is exactly what they are doing to you.

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    8y

    @Grant Rothenburger

    My first post was geared to the OP, like you, I believe others are probably more tolerant (too tolerant) of ignorant people than I am.

    After asking politely to move the vehicle if it were not gone in a reasonable amount of time he would regret his tardiness.

  • Investor · Taylor Mill, KY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 964 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Thomas S.:

    @Grant Rothenburger

    My first post was geared to the OP, like you, I believe others are probably more tolerant (too tolerant) of ignorant people than I am.

    After asking politely to move the vehicle if it were not gone in a reasonable amount of time he would regret his tardiness.

    I sound heartless, but I'm actually all for helping people out. Unless they had a reason they didn't move it for 45 minutes, (like injury or a health issue that happened after I asked) it's just blatant disrespect IMO.

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    8y

    I am not heartless either, injured and abused animals always pull at my heart strings. Disrespectful/ignorant people on the other hand I have zero tolerance for. This is one of the reasons I sound heartless when dealing with bad tenants. They do not deserve patients or tolerance. 

  • Specialist · Paradise Valley, AZ · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Courtney Downtain:

    Thanks for the feedback Max Cohen . I definitely don’t want them to think they can just do what they please on my property. It’s a C+ neighborhood, so I have to be careful how I present myself in the situation, as retaliation is likely.

    Yikes. Your C+ neighborhood has an HOA? I'm not even sure what to think of that. Anyway, I've found that you if let people "have one bite of the apple" (a quick conversation and request not to do it again) as a courtesy, most of the time they get the message. If it becomes a problem then a written letter sent Certified mail and in duplicate to the HOA is in order. Hopefully it never gets to that point tho'.

  • Specialist · Paradise Valley, AZ · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Steve Vaughan:

    Had a guy park his camper basically on my side lawn before.  The wheels were on his driveway but it overhung a lot.  Wouldn't have been so bad if there wasn't a large, obvious triangular patch of dead red grass where he was opening the door and peeing.  I was also showing the house for rent and everyone kept asking what was up with the creepy camper?

    Of course, parking it he ran over my underground sprinkler and broke it.  Claims he didn't.  Perfect driver, yada yada.  Jerk, really.  I asked how long he planned on staying.  He said as long as he felt like it.  He wasn't the owner.  He was the owners new bf (at 60).  

    I asked him to move his camper so I could repair the sprinkler.  He did to my surprise and stayed gone a while.  I quickly got some wire fencing and metal posts and installed a fence like my hair was on fire.

    2 days later he came over.  'I see what you did.  I can't get my camper in anymore.    How long you plan on leaving the fence up?'  As long as I feel like it.  He left. Later the guy was gone for good and the owner thanked me.  The rest is history.

    Try and be courteous to all, but sometimes being nice leaves you holding the bag.  I didn't enjoy putting a fence up, but it got the job done.    Have him towed him next time after asking and it won't happen again!

     Good story, good solution. But your "obvious triangular patch of dead red grass where he was opening the door and peeing" scared me. People who pee red need additional distance.

  • Wadsworth, OH · Member since 2015 · 13 posts · 0 votes
    8y
    I’d put a no trespassing sign in the window while doing renovations.
  • Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2017 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    8y

    You may want to make sure they speak English, it runs and if they have keys.  If they speak English, it runs and they have keys, tell them you need them to move it NOW and tell them if they don't....  you will call the sheriff to witness their refusal to move the car and then have it towed as well.  AND that they will have to pay to get it out of impound.  Or they could just turn off Judge Judy and move the dam car.

    If it doesnt run tell them to push it off the driveway before sunset or the same result, sheriff, witness, tow.

  • Investor · Kennedale, TX · Member since 2016 · 219 posts · 349 votes
    8y

    I love this post. It's hard to believe people act like this and have no problem parking their truck in someone else's driveway. Years ago, I owned a house and had renters living next door. They would park their truck and trailer in front of my house where I could barely get into my own driveway. There would be no cars in their driveway or in front of their house? I asked them nicely a couple of times to please not park in front of my house because when I have friends over they have no place to park and the mailman has left me notes telling me he won't deliver my mail if the mailbox is blocked. They complied for a short time than started parking in front of my house again. I told a friend of mine what was going on and he had a great solution. He owned several cars so we parked them in front of my house and in front of their house for a few weeks. When I went over to talk to them again I told them I would have the cars moved if they stopped parking in front of my house. They agreed.

    I later found out that the guy didn't know how to back up with a trailer attached to his truck. He would drive thru the neighbors driveway, then thru his own yard, and then exit his own driveway so he could back up into his own driveway. This would take him 30+ minutes of backing up and going forward multiple times until he would finally get it right. It was pretty funny to watch.

    One night the police came out because the neighbors across the street were having **** fights in the back yard and someone reported them. A couple of months later there was a drive by shooting. Someone drove by and shot up one of my neighbors houses. He thinks it was his ex girlfriend but could never prove it. I realized I probably needed to move. 

  • Investor · Kapolei, HI · Member since 2016 · 34 posts · 14 votes
    8y
    @Courtney Hebert , Thank you for your post. First hand, you did the right thing, respectfully asking if they could move their vehicle. Here's my experience, I approached the individual(s), asked if they could move their vehicle, they never complied. So I took the next step, I called the police. Have a police talk with the individual(s), take the stress off you. It'll be reported and trust me, it works.
  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    @Courtney Downtain Just have it towed if it is ever there again. No reason to get the HOA involved. You gave them sufficient warning, they know the home is no longer vacant.

  • Real Estate Broker · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    Two Words... Glitter Bomb. 

    https://www.ruindays.com/products/spring-loaded-gl...

    Seriously though... I wouldn't file a complaint with the HOA... That's just lame. I would however have gone back over and let them know that I was still waiting. We ran into this on a property we bought that had been vacant a long time. All of the neighbors used our massive driveway to avoid parking on the street. We had some that got mad that we were parking in our driveway... Seriously. But a note left on the car that the property was now occupied and we would rather not tow vehicles illegally parked fixed the issue.

  • Nicole A.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Baltimore County Maryland and Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    Michaela brings up a good point that I too was wondering, and no one is really talking about.


    Is it correct that you can call a towing company to take away a car from your property without *you* having to pay for it?

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Nicole A.:

    Michaela brings up a good point that I too was wondering, and no one is really talking about.


    Is it correct that you can call a towing company to take away a car from your property without *you* having to pay for it?

    They will leave the car in their impound lot until the tow charge plus storage fee is paid. After some period of time (30 days or whatever law allows), they can file to secure title to the car to pay fees. The gray area might be whether they will tow a car if there is no sign posted that says "no parking violators will be towed at their own expense". It would be best to make sure there is a sign up before calling a towing company.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.