How do I handle a rude neighbor?

55 Replies

Originally posted by @Nicole A. :

Michaela brings up a good point that I too was wondering, and no one is really talking about.

Is it correct that you can call a towing company to take away a car from your property without *you* having to pay for it?

They will leave the car in their impound lot until the tow charge plus storage fee is paid. After some period of time (30 days or whatever law allows), they can file to secure title to the car to pay fees. The gray area might be whether they will tow a car if there is no sign posted that says "no parking violators will be towed at their own expense". It would be best to make sure there is a sign up before calling a towing company.

I would leave a note on their car the next time you are there,  do this whether or not it is in your driveway Or you can speak to them in person. Let them know they can spread the word that people should no longer park in your driveway now that you have purchased the house and that you will be calling a tow truck if you find a vehicle there. I once found a tenant parked in my garage on a MF because  " you don't live here and you weren't using it".  Even though he rented one on site garage already. People sometimes have alot of nerve.

Originally posted by @Courtney Hebert :

Thanks everyone. It definitely gives me a lot to think about. I have met this person before while they were getting out of this truck, so I wouldn’t be able to play dumb and act like I didn’t know it was theirs. BUT, I am not asserting myself enough and I need to show them, that this is my house and if it happens again, their property will physically be removed from my property via a tow truck. Just learn to be more of a *B*, Courtney, and everything will be OK 😄

No, you are NOT a *B* because you are assertive. You just take my advice and wipe that thinking right out of your mind. There have been some fantastic responses on this topic and collectively, you can get an idea of how each person will deal with this sort of thing in their own way, according to who they are and what works for them. This is a people business and being nice will always be an asset, until it becomes a liability. Someone posted firm, but fair - that sounds like a good balance between being nice and being assertive. What you will notice about all responses, is all of them contain an assertive solution. I feel bad about being a bit harsh to you, because you are more brave than many people in the world already, and it is clear you are a nice person. Many people would never even consider being a landlord in the first place (my wife for example), because they would not want to confront others. So, you are brave, you just need to figure out how to be more assertive and again, that does NOT make you a *****. 

JD Martin offered this and I think its perfect -  "Hello? Hi, there's a vehicle in my driveway that's not mine, and the towing company is on their way, but I thought I would knock on some of the neighbor's doors and see if anyone knows who owns it before it gets towed. Oh, it's yours? OK, great, I'm glad I caught you before the tow company gets here because they said they'd be here in 15 minutes. If you haven't moved it by the time they get here I'll just have them give you their tow lot information so you know where it can be picked up."

LOL! Now, maybe that style is not for you, as it is less-than could be afforded to someone, but it does strike to the heart of the matter, with a touch of kindness and respect. It puts the ball in their court and wastes exactly zero time, all while being respectfully assertive. If it were me, I would play the three strikes and you're out game, but that's me. I agree with Michaela, its always good to attempt the win-win option first, as that can pay dividends on the back end. I also like to meet and get to know my neighbors. The trick is the balance.

As a final thing, think about the little old lady who is the kindest, most wonderful person ever, who at the same time, refuses to suffer nonsense of any sort ever. Nobody thinks she is a *B* and quite the opposite, she is adored and respected, and people bend over backwards to please her!!!

I’m so glad I started this thread! Such amazing solutions I never would have thought of myself and stories that I can’t believe actually happened. It’s good to know I’m not alone in this and there are crazy people all over the country. I want nothing more than for this first rental investment purchase to go smoothly and my tenants to be happy in their neighborhood. Thanks everyone, and keep them coming!

@Rob D. , I've never had to have a car towed so curious, if I do, do I get billed for that tow?  Or will tow companies tow for free if you have a contract with them?  How exactly does that work?

On mybrentals I contract with a tow company. I have to put a tow away sign and a vehicle code that applies to the towing. Your local PD will tell you the code section. 

The tow company name and contact info need to be on the sign also. 

Then you simply tell

The tow company what sort of towing you want. For example any car parked between the hours of x to Y are towed or any unregistered cars are towed. Vehicles parked blocking the alley street driveway sidewalk whatever  are towed. You can also say any vehicles parked on the premises are to be towed.  You can give the tow company a listing safe cars you don’t want towed but you gotta be reasonable. A few cars ok but not a  page with 30 cars 

The tow charges go against the owner of the vehicle. As long as you’re positing your tow away and have the correct wording and stickers and contact info you can tow whoever you want as long as it’s on private property. 

And in your lease you should have a parking section where you are reserving the right to change parking rules as needed. 

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here