How to deal with trash being dumped at the property?

How to deal with trash being dumped at the property?

Investor · Wasilla, AK · Member since 2016 · 277 posts · 139 votes

Simple problem, not so simple answer.  We manage a 5plex on a circle with 3 other 4plexes.  All different owners, different dumpster services.  Our dumpster is the closest to the main street and people from all the other buildings pile trash around our dumpster when theirs is full.  My first thought was to get a locking dumpster, but seeing how they throw trash bags at  the dumpster, I don't know if having a lock will make that big of a difference.  I've thought about putting signs on it, but I'm doubtful on that one as well.

Any ideas? 

Obviously, I could put a camera up, but if it's a real camera, and if I catch people dumping, following up on it will be an added job.

0Reply
22 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Paradise Valley, AZ · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    .

  • Specialist · Paradise Valley, AZ · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Sam LLoyd:

    Simple problem, not so simple answer.  We manage a 5plex on a circle with 3 other 4plexes.  All different owners, different dumpster services.  Our dumpster is the closest to the main street and people from all the other buildings pile trash around our dumpster when theirs is full.  My first thought was to get a locking dumpster, but seeing how they throw trash bags at  the dumpster, I don't know if having a lock will make that big of a difference.  I've thought about putting signs on it, but I'm doubtful on that one as well.

    Any ideas? 

    Obviously, I could put a camera up, but if it's a real camera, and if I catch people dumping, following up on it will be an added job.

     Relocate the dumpster. Or chain a grizzly to it. They love garbage and would be much obliged. And by the way, wave to Russia for me.

  • Real Estate Agent · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 21 posts · 26 votes
    8y
    Our dumpsters at flips always seem to acquire a neighbor’s random sofa or tube TV. Over time I’ve learned to file this under “cost of doing business” and move on. It’s certainly irritating, but one of those things that’s simply not worth dwelling on. A friend of mine uses fake cameras on all his projects. Swears by ‘em.
  • Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y

    THAT IS SO ANNOYING IT MAKES ME SCreAM!!! 

    I have one property with containers where someone keeps stealing the used trash cans??!!! (Where everyone under a 4- unit gets a free city provided can)

    I have no useful suggestions but I feel your pain

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.