Did I hurt the "rent-ability" of this house?

Did I hurt the "rent-ability" of this house?

San Diego, CA · Member since 2015 · 5 posts · 0 votes

Hi BP community! I would like to crowdsource some opinions on if I may have damaged the long term rental appeal of this townhouse with some of the modifications I made to make it semi-house hacked:

- Bought an undervalued 4bed/3ba TH in need of cosmetic renovations.

- Built two walls/doors separating first floor from second floor and installed a washer/dryer in one of the third floor bedrooms during renovations. 

- Roommate rents out bottom floor while I live on the top two floors.

- The ROI on house hack reno is 100% (will recoup all costs within the first year)

- Concerned that this semi-split set up  may not be very appealing to future renters once I move out in 5-6yrs and rent it out

- It looks fine cosmetically but closing off these levels makes the house feel somewhat less open.

- Located in suburban area.

Tearing down two walls and removing the upstairs w/d would not be very expensive so if it would be worth it to do this prior to moving out, it is something I would consider. What are your thoughts?

Pics:

https://imgur.com/a/r1YU8QW

0Reply
23 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    8y

    Did you get permits for the work you did, will it pass a fire code inspection ?

  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2015 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Thomas S.:

    Did you get permits for the work you did, will it pass a fire code inspection ?

     Everything was done to code. No permits were needed. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.