what flooring do you use for your rentals?

what flooring do you use for your rentals?

Investor · Morris Plains, NJ · Member since 2017 · 294 posts · 47 votes

What flooring do you use for your lower cost rentals? Looking for something great for ROI that will last and wont cost a ton

0Reply
26 views

Most Popular Reply

Brie SchmidtBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
8y

Luxury Vinyl Planks - I like the allure at home depot

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brie SchmidtBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    8y

    Luxury Vinyl Planks - I like the allure at home depot

  • Investor · Morris Plains, NJ · Member since 2017 · 294 posts · 47 votes
    8y

    @Brie Schmidt any chance you can give me a cost est? I know our markets are different but I am trying to estimate how much to factor in for floors. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Hamilton, NJ · Member since 2013 · 464 posts · 311 votes
    8y

    Below is a link to Home Depot's website on the price.  I've heard that Luxury Vinyl Planks are the way to go!  Lots of investors are using them nowadays.

    https://www.homedepot.com/b/Flooring-Vinyl-Floorin...

  • Michael DangPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 454 posts · 273 votes
    8y

    @Brie Schmidt and @Christopher Giannino hit it on the nail.  

  • Investor · Morris Plains, NJ · Member since 2017 · 294 posts · 47 votes
    8y

    @Christopher Giannino is there a certain mm that is recommended? I see some pretty inexpensive ones are lumber liquidators. Thanks!

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 6 posts · 6 votes
    8y

    I agree wholeheartedly regarding the installation of luxury vinyl plank flooring! It's beautiful, durable, and easy to install and maintain. It truly is the best, most cost effective option for a rental property.

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y
    Luxury vinyl plank, original wood floors, tile. Pretty much anything that isn’t carpet. I hate carpet in my rentals.
  • Investor · TX · Member since 2015 · 393 posts · 290 votes
    8y

    Home depot vinyl planks.  We use the Stoney Oak Grey in all houses, including our own.  Easy to put down yourself, costs under 2.50 a foot.

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    8y

    @Rigo V.

    @Rigo V.

    Given any choice, I prefer triple-polyurethaned-in-place solid oak and tile for my own low-cost rentals. I believe this is by far the wisest choice IF you plan on owning the rental for years AND you know how to do a good installation yourself/are willing to learn AND you or your own employees do your own flooring maintenance over those years under your watchful eye, not a third-party contractor. It takes time and it takes effort to learn how to install tile and hardwood and floor trim. It's worth it to a landlord who fulfills the criteria above.

    BUT, if you have a third party doing maintenance, and you as the landlord don't know tile and hardwood, and you're a million miles away trusting that your expense reports indicate the work and materials that really went into your floors, you will get fleeced with tile and hardwood, however honest you feel your property manager is. It would take a saint to resist ripping you off, and that saint would not be the patron saint of builders, St. Joseph. Old Joe would have been right there with his holy hand out to feed his family.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.