Would you Install Cheap Linoleum in the Living Room?

Would you Install Cheap Linoleum in the Living Room?

Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 0 votes

Hello,

I manage a small apartment property. The landlord has done some nice renovations in one of the units. The property will be put on the market soon.

We just put in beige wood look plank tile in the bathroom. The landlord wants to have carpet installed in the bedrooms only and plans to put the cheapest grade wood look linoleum in the kitchen, living room and hallway. This means that the wood look linoleum would be butted up against the wood look bathroom tile. The level of the tile would be about 1/2" higher than the linoleum in the hallway.  In my opinion, it would look bad to have two different types of wood look product next to each other.

I think linoleum in the kitchen and carpet for the living room, hallway and bedrooms would be a better option. The carpet would be the same height as the tile in the bathroom and would not clash with the bathroom tile. What do you guys think? Which would have a longer life, cheap linoleum or carpet? Which flooring would be more appealing to tenants and buyers in the living room and hallway? Thank you in advance your opinions.

0Reply
14 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Cypress, TX · Member since 2018 · 33 posts · 11 votes
    8y

    Hey Kendall! Is this a multi story unit? From the renters perspective, I know having a hard floor of some type is preferred if a bottom story unit. Easy to clean, and you can always put in rugs in bedrooms if desired. If an upper story, I'd go for carpet just to lessen on noise for the downstairs unit. 

    As far as having the different types abutting, I'd agree, it's not the best look. I'd keep it consistent as possible, no more than two types of flooring. 

  • Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y

    Is the owner planning laminate or linoleum? linoleum is a sheet product and laminate is usually (but not always) a wood look plank product.  I'd prefer laminate over carpet in halls and living rooms and just put carpet in the bedrooms-- you can use a reducer threshold to divide the rooms with different types of flooring.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.