Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Kendall Miller
Votes |
Would you Install Cheap Linoleum in the Living Room?

Kendall Miller
Posted Jun 1 2018, 10:46

Hello,

I manage a small apartment property. The landlord has done some nice renovations in one of the units. The property will be put on the market soon.

We just put in beige wood look plank tile in the bathroom. The landlord wants to have carpet installed in the bedrooms only and plans to put the cheapest grade wood look linoleum in the kitchen, living room and hallway. This means that the wood look linoleum would be butted up against the wood look bathroom tile. The level of the tile would be about 1/2" higher than the linoleum in the hallway.  In my opinion, it would look bad to have two different types of wood look product next to each other.

I think linoleum in the kitchen and carpet for the living room, hallway and bedrooms would be a better option. The carpet would be the same height as the tile in the bathroom and would not clash with the bathroom tile. What do you guys think? Which would have a longer life, cheap linoleum or carpet? Which flooring would be more appealing to tenants and buyers in the living room and hallway? Thank you in advance your opinions.

Loading replies...