BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
OK, this is for one of our developers - the people who keep this site up and running. She would REALLY appreciate any advice you can give. She's a newer landlord, so go easy on her.
She rented her property to a new tenant who moved in last month. The dishwasher broke and the sewer backed up, all in one month.
Sewage backup is being dealt with, the dishwasher is too.
Tenant is mad, understandably.
Tenant is saying she does not feel that she should pay the entire month's rent since she can't use the basement.
Rent is due on July 1, landlord said she would give until July 5. (She's learning, be nice.)
Any advice for our landlord developer?
I'm not sure the landlord tenant laws for CO as I am not a landlord here. Tagging @Bill S. because he runs the Denver landlord meetup and definitely knows more than I do.
Insurance Agent · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2017 · 45 posts · 33 votes
8y
Repeat after me folks...back up of sewer & drain endorsement. Every policy...every time (provided it is not an unreasonable amount of premium). I've been an insurance agent for 10 years and this claim pops up a lot and is typically very expensive. Particularly if you have old plumbing or other issues that leave you prone to flooding.
It sounds like this tenant is a PITA anyway so I'd offer them the opportunity to pay the full amount and put in their notice to leave without penalty. Provided the market is hot enough there won't be a long vacancy that is...