Is UPC Insurance overstepping my tenants privacy?

Is UPC Insurance overstepping my tenants privacy?

Real Estate Agent · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2016 · 91 posts · 26 votes

A few months ago I purchased a duplex and assumed the tenants that were in place.  At the time we got insurance on the property with American Integrity. 2months later we got notice they were cancelling due to the tenants debris/junk in the backyard. The debris is basically toys, plywood, grill, etc.. probably a 10'x10' section of "stuff". The reason was that this was hazardous.  

We changed over to UPC insurance who I have dealt with in the past and within a month of having the policy and providing them a 4pt inspection (paid for 2months prior) we were sent an email asking us for a self-inspection with location services enabled on our phones and completing through their link as we took the photos etc... 

Exterior

  • 1.)Left front Corner of home
  • 2.)Right front Corner of home
  • 3.)Left rear corner of your home standing back as far as possible
  • 4.)Right rear corner of home standing back as far as possible
  • 5.)Air conditioning unit
  • 6.)Tree Houses/sheds/barns/fences

Water Heater

  • 1.)Picture of the water heater to include the pipework exiting the heater
  • 2.)A picture of the manufacturer/information label if accessible

Air Conditioner

  • 1.)Air handler
  • 2.)Manufacturer Label if accessible

Electric

  • 1.)Clear picture of Panel (s)
  • 2.)Manufacturer Label if clear

Plumbing

  • 1.)Image of plumbing under bathroom sink
  • 2.)Image of plumbing under kitchen sink
  • 3.)Pipework and hoses connecting your washing machine to the wall

Interior Video

Please take a walk through video of the main living areas of your property, please provide narration as you film. Start at the front entrance. The video need not be more than 2 minutes in length.

------------------------

I called and tried to plead that this is ridiculous since I paid money for an inspection and I have tenants in place and not the time to deal with. There response was too bad. You have 7 days with our link. Well I made it over there by day 7 load up their website and the service within the duplex was so bad I couldn't even navigate to the next page (problem one with a self-inspection, you can't control the technology someone has).

Now a few weeks later we have been threaten with another cancellation and I have about 3 days to get this completed. They've "allowed" me to take the photos and just send those. I'm so exhausted and irritated at this and can't believe they want me to Video the inside of a my tenants property with all their personal belongings.

Am I wrong in thinking this is a violation of some sort?

0Reply
34 views

Most Popular Reply

Insurance Agent · Maitland, FL · Member since 2015 · 397 posts · 244 votes
8y

Here’s the problem with bigger pockets for insurance advice. How the heck does an investor from other states know about FL. 

Allstate, Farmers and State Farm quit writing about a decade ago. 

Yeah UPC is a pain in the rear. But beats the crap out of Citizens. 

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Newbury Park, CA · Member since 2015 · 157 posts · 121 votes
    8y

    It's very common for insurance companies to ask for these self inspections. That's why I moved away from Statefarm who asked me to complete something similar last year right around Christmas time.  They ended up cancelling insurance and I ended up being without any insurance for about 2 weeks. StateFarm was not a good neighbor hahaha. Try Allstate (for your first 4 properties) and then American Mordern Insurance. They don't require your to jump through all those hoops. 

    When it comes to your question, I don't think it is overstepping your tenant's privacy as long as they were notified of what's going to happen and why. Just let your property management company handle this kind of stuff! They know how to deal with your tenants! 

  • Bedford, TX · Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 6 votes
    8y

    I don't know how it would be a violation for an insurance company to want to see what they are insuring.  Sounds like you need to find another provider.

  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    8y

    I have had no problems and have not been asked to perform any unusual acts with Farmer’s and their rates are in line with the other carriers.

  • Real Estate Agent · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2016 · 91 posts · 26 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Brian Schoolcraft:

    I don't know how it would be a violation for an insurance company to want to see what they are insuring.  Sounds like you need to find another provider.

     It's primarily the request for a video with narration. A little too intrusive in my opinion.  Also, what's the point of a inspection company and 4pt inspection that covers essentially everything they are asking for?  If there are problems with inspection companies that's one thing but could have saved $150 on that.

    I get it. Just had to get it off my chest. First time with a "self-inspection"

    Of course this is the one duplex I don't have property management on at the moment. In 6months when rent goes up that will change. Thought it'd be good to experience the self management on one of my properties as the rest are managed :) Hard knocks

  • Insurance Agent · Maitland, FL · Member since 2015 · 397 posts · 244 votes
    8y

    Here’s the problem with bigger pockets for insurance advice. How the heck does an investor from other states know about FL. 

    Allstate, Farmers and State Farm quit writing about a decade ago. 

    Yeah UPC is a pain in the rear. But beats the crap out of Citizens. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2016 · 91 posts · 26 votes
    8y

    @Derek Lacy I wouldn't call it a problem since this is a forum and a large one at that. The fact that you found this post and commented and are from Florida makes the reply a bit ironic :) Bigger pockets has more than investors on it.

    Also, this wasn't necessarily a state specific question/comment.  If it is, I'd like to know if a self-inspect is specific to Florida and your opinion about them. My understanding is that this is new this year and it's a way for insurance company to cut costs... what costs? I'd love to know. Sending a 3rd party out to photo the exterior of my properties was the extent to what I saw. I should be getting paid for what this self-inspect required!

  • Insurance Agent · Maitland, FL · Member since 2015 · 397 posts · 244 votes
    8y

    @Dane Peterson

    Sorry you may misunderstand, I’m saying insurance advice for FL is not the same as advice for TX. Apples and oranges.  So a Chicago investor would have no idea how to advise you. 

    You are getting paid for your self inspection. You could be charged $225 more to pay for a Muller inspection. 

    Yes, it is new to UPC.  You can choose not to participate and they will cancel the policy.

    Because of the extreme rarity of standard property insurers in FL, which causes high costs, many insurers are trying innovation to lower costs and be more competitive.  You can go with the flow, and take some rate reduction, or fight it and pay higher rates. The choice is yours. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.