Invest or Pay off Student Debt?

Invest or Pay off Student Debt?

Real Estate Investor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2011 · 11 posts · 1 vote

Hey all. I've been reading the forums here for a while and trying to learn about investing in rental properties. Thank you for a lot of great information: I find that reading your discussions can be much more valuable than reading someone's book.

I just graduated with a good, secure job that I've been working for two years, and I would like to buy a house. I am thinking of buying a duplex or triplex as an owner/occupant. It seems to me that the extra income and building of equity would be better use of my money than paying down the principle of my student debt.

I have about $50k in student loans.

What do you guys think? Thanks.

1Reply
54 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Alpharetta, GA · Member since 2010 · 415 posts · 484 votes
15y

I'm coming at this another way than Bryan. I want to know about the properties.

Are they in Rochester? What are the numbers, ballpark? I have relatives in Rochester, and the property taxes there amaze me. Can you make money with a rental?

Frankly, unless your student debt is priced at 24% or higher, I can't conceive of a reason for you to pay your student debt faster and defer buying real estate -- IF the numbers work.

I applaud you for thinking about this now, while you're young. I think someone needs to be shouting this from the rooftops to today's 25-year-olds: Buy rental properties NOW! Just think, you can throw your excess cash flow to the principal and have them paid off when you're 40. Having a few debt-free rental properties sounds like a great way to spend my 40s, 50s, etc...

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · West Des Moines, IA · Member since 2009 · 55 posts · 21 votes
    15y

    What type of interest rates are you paying?

    I graduated in 2004 and was able to consolidate mine at 2.375% so I've been paying the minimum and putting my money to work elsewhere.

  • Real Estate Investor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2011 · 11 posts · 1 vote
    15y

    2.375% sounds incredible. I have a private loan at 8% I believe and a few state and federal loans averaged around 5%.

    I'll be looking into consolidating.

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y

    Welcome to BiggerPockets Jim.

    I agree that we need to know the specifics about the debt to help more.

  • Real Estate Investor · Alpharetta, GA · Member since 2010 · 415 posts · 484 votes
    15y

    I'm coming at this another way than Bryan. I want to know about the properties.

    Are they in Rochester? What are the numbers, ballpark? I have relatives in Rochester, and the property taxes there amaze me. Can you make money with a rental?

    Frankly, unless your student debt is priced at 24% or higher, I can't conceive of a reason for you to pay your student debt faster and defer buying real estate -- IF the numbers work.

    I applaud you for thinking about this now, while you're young. I think someone needs to be shouting this from the rooftops to today's 25-year-olds: Buy rental properties NOW! Just think, you can throw your excess cash flow to the principal and have them paid off when you're 40. Having a few debt-free rental properties sounds like a great way to spend my 40s, 50s, etc...

  • Real Estate Investor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2011 · 11 posts · 1 vote
    15y

    Thank you for the responses. I think will be better off investing now: I will have the opportunity to make a greater return on the investment than paying off loans, and the sooner I start making mistakes, the sooner I get to learn from them.

    Also, Rochester has very stable real estate market.

  • Real Estate Investor · Lake Worth, FL · Member since 2009 · 263 posts · 92 votes
    15y

    If you have a solid investment strategy then I would invest and keep paying on the student loans. I still have some at 2.125% and there is no bank anywhere that will lend to me at that amount.

    If you have other debt, auto, or credit card I would definitely look at paying those down as the rate is usually high compared to the student loan.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.