When to replace a Roof?

When to replace a Roof?

Wholesaler · Miami, FL · Member since 2010 · 346 posts · 3 votes

Ok so I am buying a property that will need a roof repalcement in the near future 6-12 months but who knows to be exact? I checked the attic out and there are no leaks or any signs of it potentially damaging other aspects of the house. I am planning on managing the property myself and since it is my first house I will be there alot probably once or twice a month to check everything. I will virtually inspect basement and attic to make sure no minor problems turn into bigger ones. Should I hold off on the roof if I check on the property a few times a month and wait for a small leak or something to happen? I know this is about maximizing costs and I do not want to put out 7-10k yet if I can get another year out of it. I also know that major problems can turn into big ones if ignored which is why I plan to check on it. The multi already has a tenant living upstairs and the bottom floor can be rented immediately once I tile the bathroom and repaint.. thank you any advice from fellow buy and hold investors or any one!

0Reply
118 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2011 · 41 posts · 31 votes
15y

If you know it is at the end of its life you should replace it now. Your tenant most likely will not tell you the roof is leaking until the ceiling caves in.

If you wait too long to replace it you might have to replace a lot of sheeting which will add to the expense significantly.

7-10 grand sounds like a very high bid unless the house is very large. Get a lot of different bids. You will be surprised at the range you will get.

See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2009 · 499 posts · 117 votes
    15y

    Waiting till it leaks is a bad idea. Are you going to 'camp' there all the while it rains,,,everytime,,so you know?

    You cant always SEE the leaks and resulting damage till it gets costly.

    Buy a safety harness, shingle gun and a hammer and fix it when the sun is shining. Meaning tear off old,,,nail on new.

    Teaming up with a buddy so he helps you and you help him works best. Tarp at nite if any risk of rain.

    OR shell out big bucks for an unknown quality job.

  • Wholesaler · Miami, FL · Member since 2010 · 346 posts · 3 votes
    15y

    Should I just repair the roof or replace the whole thing? Of course every roofing place will say you need to replace it

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 282 votes
    15y

    If it really needs to be replaced in 6-12 months then I would do it now.

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 282 votes
    15y
    Originally posted by John Whitmore:
    Should I just repair the roof or replace the whole thing? Of course every roofing place will say you need to replace it

    What is wrong with the roof exactly? Just the fact that it's old?

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2011 · 41 posts · 31 votes
    15y

    If you know it is at the end of its life you should replace it now. Your tenant most likely will not tell you the roof is leaking until the ceiling caves in.

    If you wait too long to replace it you might have to replace a lot of sheeting which will add to the expense significantly.

    7-10 grand sounds like a very high bid unless the house is very large. Get a lot of different bids. You will be surprised at the range you will get.

  • Real Estate Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 671 votes
    15y

    Depends where you are in the country and what type of roof it is. 7k-15k is a standard roof around here. You can bang out ranch style homes for 3-4k, but that is not what I invest it.

    Many old houses need a re-deck (plywood is expensive). You said who knows when the roof is going to go? You said 6-12 months. I have been doing this for some time and am not that good.

    If you dont have a tenant in, now is for sure the time. If dont do it now, keep the money aside and dont spend it on REI!

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    15y

    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.....if the roof don't leak it won't hurt nothin,..... the plumber's wife's faucet always leaks. Best time to fix a roof is just before it leaks!

    Good ole advice to a point.

    Consider what it costs today vs next year. Some roofers might be looking for work now, next year they could be busy, so the cost will be more.

    Oil prices are going up, products made from oil base materials will go up, shingles are one of those products. You can probably buy them today cheaper than next year.

    But, if you know when it's going to leak, you could hold off!

  • Wholesaler · Miami, FL · Member since 2010 · 346 posts · 3 votes
    15y

    That's what I figured I have checked out the attic and there is no sign of it. Something was patched up recently but report said the shingles were damaged and curled on the side. The chimney also needed a repairs on the inspection. But I have a tenant upstairs and it is move in ready

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    15y

    Fix the chimney now! It could be a fire hazard. If it serves as a vent for a natural gas fired appliance/furnace, go fix it right now! Especially with someone in there!!!!!!

    If the damage is above the roof line, it still may not draft properly and leaks inside will not show up until you have foundation problems $$$$$$$

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    15y

    "curled on the side" - I interpret that to mean that they didn't use a drip edge. Shingles can curl downward without a drip edge. What other "damage" is there to the shingles?

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    15y

    OK, Bill just mentioned that the chimney can be a hazard. I agree.

    So, what is wrong with the chimney? Is it brick and needs to be re-mortared or pointed? Is there a chimney liner of any sort? If so, what material is the liner made of?

  • Wholesaler · Miami, FL · Member since 2010 · 346 posts · 3 votes
    15y

    it says brick is cracked, mortar deterioated, spailing on brick in attic, needs repairs and rebuilt by quality contractor...

  • Wholesaler · Miami, FL · Member since 2010 · 346 posts · 3 votes
    15y

    and for the roof it says it is near its life, and shingles are curling and lifting..

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    15y

    Curled and lifting could mean bad decking now. As Steve mentioned, along the edges could be that there is no drip edge or that the last ice dam lifted the edges and they are so old they won't lay down. But if that problem is in the field of the roof it might not leak only because the felt is protecting the decking. If nails are popping up you will likely have rot in the decking, not just a new shingle job any longer..

    The chimney sounds like it really needs attention if the appraisal or what ever report you're reading states that it needs professional attention, doesn't sound like a point tucking issue any longer! Bricks crack and the facings flake off and that usually is not a serious problem, but if you can move them that means you could have air infiltration which can effect the draft causing problems and being a safety issue. It may need to be rebuilt.....if that is the case I might suggest you consider a zero clearence insert with new metal chimney pipe that you can box in with a wood frame. I use concrete board inside the wood frames of metal chimney rehabs and masonry caulk sealing off the inside from any wood, just in case. Good luck.

  • Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2008 · 244 posts · 36 votes
    15y

    on my rentals I don't replace roof until there is multiple leaks and soft spots. If there is a leak or two I patch it. I keep a 5 gallon bucket of tar and climb the roof and patch it. I replace a few shingles if needed.

  • Wholesaler · Miami, FL · Member since 2010 · 346 posts · 3 votes
    15y

    Ok that was my orginal plan is to check it out and only make the repairs when the leaks start to happen otherwise it seems to really kill my cash flow. I already will put aside 100 each month for maintence to plan for a new roof in the future but I didn't know if it makes sense to replace the whole thing were talking 10k and the house is livable with no repairs, also on the chimney I have no idea on to how I can keep that cost down too thanks

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    15y

    Let's talk chimney for now, since roof isn't yet leaking.

    Get a 5 gal bucket (empty joint compound or empty paint buckets work fine), and go to the basement. Find the chimney clean-out; this is usually like a 6-inch diameter piece of sheet metal with a handle on it. Loosen clean-out slightly but do not pull it out completely until you get the bucket under the opening to catch all of the debris that will fall out. See how much brick you have in there - I bet you see quite a bit of broken pieces of brick and mortar. Put the clean-out cover back in place.

    Chimney is almost certainly going to have to be addressed ASAP. Insurance company might inspect exterior and take note of it - they will request you to fix it since a falling brick becomes their problem.

  • Real Estate Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 671 votes
    15y

    Both of these need to be replaced. Do it right the first time so you don't end up needing an emergency roof or have a ton of damage and need to replace a ton of drywall and insulation.

    If you live in a big city, you will likely have a code violation for having curling shingles.

  • Wholesaler · Miami, FL · Member since 2010 · 346 posts · 3 votes
    15y

    ok the chimney damage is mostly on the top where it is on the roof not so much in the basement. Some bricks are turning into powder but it wasn't an issue the inspector said as much as it is on the roof

  • Wholesaler · Miami, FL · Member since 2010 · 346 posts · 3 votes
    15y

    Ok my first repair will be the chimney, then I will plan on the roof sometime in the summer. I have the reserves to do the roof now, but once the property is mine I will send pictures and tell you exactly what I see to make sure we are on the same page. I have quotes of the roof around 5k and the chimney repair of 1300-1400. The roof doesn't include installing plywood which I dont believe it needs but who knows. Also the gutters are missing some pieces that connect the roof to the side gutter and down spouts are missing too. Is this something I can do (not handy at all) or should I hire someone to connect the pieces for me. I need to save $ so I have no problem doing jobs I can do but don't know if it can be a big issue. Thank you guys for your advice !

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    15y

    You said replacing the roof will kill the cash flow.Did you ask for a big reduction in price after inspection??

    The number one mistake is underestimating deferred maintenance when buying.You put off later and have massive expenses that crush cash flow.

    With those kinds of issues after inspection I would buy much cheaper than initial offer given.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 18k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    15y

    Instead of tearing off and replacing the roof, another option would be to add a second layer of shingles over the existing roof (assuming it's not against code in your area).

    You can generally only do this once before you have to re-roof the next time, but it would likely save you 25-35% on the total cost.

  • Wholesaler · Miami, FL · Member since 2010 · 346 posts · 3 votes
    15y

    I did I got the offer reduced another 2k so now it is 45k instead of 47 and i accepted because it still is an awesome deal no matter what. 1400 rent potential for 45k just taxes are 3200 but regardless was a great deal for first time buyer. The gutters are my first concern and then the chimney.

  • Real Estate Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 671 votes
    15y

    Have you thought about getting rid of the chimney and using B venting? Your chimney might need to be lined and then you can use B vent to go through the roof. It will end up a wash in price but you will not have the problem again for some time.

  • Wholesaler · Miami, FL · Member since 2010 · 346 posts · 3 votes
    15y

    I am not sure I can always get an estimate on that and see if that is something that can work i am open to new options thanks

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.