Can you expunge an evection after the fact?

3 Replies

I received a call from an old tenant that I evicted about seven or eight months ago. He wants to pay me what he owes me. My question is there a way I can help him try to expunge the evection faster than the seven years? This is the first time of ever had anyone tried to pay me back and I've been doing this a long time. I just don't know this answer.
Originally posted by @Brandon Davidson :
I received a call from an old tenant that I evicted about seven or eight months ago. He wants to pay me what he owes me. My question is there a way I can help him try to expunge the evection faster than the seven years? This is the first time of ever had anyone tried to pay me back and I've been doing this a long time. I just don't know this answer.

Unlikely. 

Besides, how would you like to be the proud owner of a new tenant who had "properly cited information" expunged? Wouldn't you feel tricked and deceived? Meaning, what you want to do, negates the reason the eviction shows up. He didn't pay "when due".

The eviction mark is a warning to future landlords who can then better decide what risk they are willing to take with the prospective tenant. If he has a plausible explanation, fine. Let him tell his side of the story to the potential landlord. They can still accept him if they choose to. Or, they can demand a higher security.

I wouldn’t take their money. They chose to let this get that far. It’s their choices they need to live with. I would never want to rent to a tenant who did this trickery. No thank you. All that headache he put you through. That’s a no from me.

@Brandon Davidson - accept his money and say you’ll do whatever you can. Hopefully for public records that eviction stays but maybe the judgement amount can be recorded as satisfied.