Louisville, KY · Member since 2014 · 10 posts · 0 votes
Hello Everyone-
I recently purchased two rental 4-plexes. Today I came to know from tenants that one of the guy has moved out sometime back and there are still multiple folks come and go all the time. There are suspected for taking drugs, partying in night and stealing stuff including electricity from neighbor, apparently electric department has disconnected their electricity for some reason. These folks have caused a water damage and downstair roof has crashed down in the washer/dryer room. I heard they have been paying the rent though. Person on lease is not accessible, as his/her phone is not in service anymore. What would you guys advice for a right approach to get them out of my unit without me getting into any safety or legal issues.
Louisville, KY · Member since 2014 · 10 posts · 0 votes
8y
@Matt K. Thanks! That's what I was thinking, wanted to check if I should first call police or attorney, as I really don't know who is living there and what they are up to.
@Alpesh Parmar Thank you! Based on the feedback from other tenants, I sensed that I should be careful about my safety when interacting with those folks.
Louisville, KY · Member since 2014 · 10 posts · 0 votes
8y
@Alpesh Parmar unfortunately I had to let go my PM due to them being too busy to pick my call for days and giving me outrageous fixing costs. Soon after that I visited and talked to each tenant and came to know about these trouble makers.
Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
8y
@Gaurav Raj
If the guy on the lease has took off and now you got hoodlums not on any lease partying stealing services from others and selling drugs then I’d grab some friends and go directly over there and get things straightened out . I’d atleast notify them the game is over and now police are coming in .you gotta be assertive and get this nipped in the bud ! If you wait around on lawyers judges or the system to throw out these squatters you may lose all your good tenants and have your building destroyed or burned down . Get this resolved immediately and don’t go alone . Get several friends to go over and let them know the rouse is up the game is over and your not taking any crap .
Rental Property Investor · Ankeny, IA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
8y
Attempt to contact your current tenant. Document said efforts. File an eviction notice for abandonment of premises. Go over there and change the locks. Notify tenant in writing due to unlawful occupancy you have changed the locks and they are welcome to come get a new key. If you are unable to take over the unit, call the police and file a breaking and entering report. If the unit is close to you, visit it daily to look for unlawful breaking and entering. And call the police every time somebody is unlawfully there.
And, do NOT just grab a bunch of friends and possibly get into a conflict with whoever is there. That is what the police are for. They are trained and they know what to do.
Attempt to contact your current tenant. Document said efforts. File an eviction notice for abandonment of premises. Go over there and change the locks. Notify tenant in writing due to unlawful occupancy you have changed the locks and they are welcome to come get a new key. If you are unable to take over the unit, call the police and file a breaking and entering report. If the unit is close to you, visit it daily to look for unlawful breaking and entering. And call the police every time somebody is unlawfully there.
And, do NOT just grab a bunch of friends and possibly get into a conflict with whoever is there. That is what the police are for. They are trained and they know what to do.
The problem with that is they are trashing the place they are conducting illegal activity they are not even real tenants ! They are ruining his business and scaring the good tenants .let’s be realistic The police are not going to get involved in a civil matter over a lease agreement or tenancy like this unless there’s some form of assault . Look I’m not advocating he take six muscular biker friends over there to hit them over the head with baseball bats lol I’m saying he should go there not alone for his own protection especially if these fellas are as bad as he’s saying and also it helps to have witnesses.
Thank you very much for all your valuable advice. today couple of my tenants called and informed that those guys are back, but this time they had missed their keys and were trying to open the lock with screw driver, card etc. That was a good enough reason for me to call the cops. Unfortunately, those guys left before cops reached. Neighbors had pictures of those guys and stories of wrongdoings but, cops left with advice for me to initiate the legal process, they can't do much about it unless they catch them stealing or doing any wrongdoing.
I got my LegalShield plan and tomorrow scheduled to get the handover of keys and accounting details from my ex-PM. Will start the eviction process asap.
Appreciate BP community for the wonderful support!