Liability of renting out a house with a pool

Liability of renting out a house with a pool

Amherst, OH · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 3 votes
I have an opportunity to buy my parents house and make payments without a mortgage. Their home is completely upgraded and I plan to use as primary residence. There are a few things it lacks that I can add as I go. They want 15 yr payments so I can't afford to keep paying both house payments. My current house is 5 mins away and in good shape. If I sell I would refinish the wood floors and not much more is needed. I could probably get a $30-40k over what I owe. It's a desirable area with good schools. If I rent it out I could probably get $200-400 a month over the current payment due. I'm thinking renting it out would be a good choice so I could pay it down more quickly. We just put in a pool this summer. I want to makes sure that if we get a good lease drawn up, would there be any way that we could have liability if something were to happen in regards to injury with the pool. The yard has a 6 ft privacy fence. There is a gate on the pool deck. It is semi inground, so I can literally throw my leg over any point and climb in. I'm assuming any renter would mist likely have kids as it is a 3 bedroom. I would sell if the liability were to high to rent. I just spent $20k on the pool so don't want to take it out. Thanks in advance for your advice.
0Reply
17 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    8y

    You may have state laws regarding the pool, we do.

    Typically, you need to make sure you have:

    Permitted fence with a lockable gate, the lock/release mechanism needs to be 5-6’ high so children can’t open it, same with exterior doors on the house leading to the pool area.  While inconvenient, the fence could have a latch that can only be opens from the inside.

    A pool alarm, a floating device that detects waves, is also a good idea.

    Obviously, your rental insurance has to be made aware of the pool....they may have their own requirements.

  • Rental Property Investor · Maryville, TN · Member since 2009 · 529 posts · 414 votes
    8y

    you def have increased liability and have to rely on tenants to keep gates shut etc. Also you will have to include an outside maint service to take care of the pool, as tenants will likely let it go

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.