Realtor · King of Prussia, PA · Member since 2010 · 15 posts · 1 vote
We are close to settlement on an investment duplex. Our first investment property which is both exciting and terrifying, which means more questions in the other forums as well.
Anyway, the previous tenants had their own washer and dryer which left with them. It seems the norm for the neighborhood is not to install them for tenants. If we did install them and put in the lease it was for convenience only and that they'd be responsible for repair/replacement would that hold up in a lease? Idea being to make it more attractive than surrounding properties.
Duplex is in Norristown, PA. Rent would be 900/month per unit which is what previous owner got and seems about average for this part of Norristown.
Also, the wall mounted air conditioning is missing for both units. The hookups and everything are there but the units themselves are not. Would it be expected that tenants provide them or is that something tenants usually expect?
I know in one unit the previous long term tenants did not have any air conditioning.
Residential Landlord · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2010 · 592 posts · 138 votes
15y
I have a duplex I just rented out, I supplied washer, dryer, range, microwave, and refrigerator for each. A lesson I learned from this was not to buy these ahead of time. I would recommend letting prospective tenants know that you will provide them, but don't buy them until you have a tenant ready to sign the lease. If it is the norm in the area for tenants to provide their own, they may prefer appliances they have already bought to what you would supply and want to bring their own anyway. If they bring their own appliances, you would definitely not need to repair anything. I am not sure about the "for convenience only" language in the lease and whether or not that would hold up. I know some others on BP use that, but the laws may very by state so I would suggest talking to a lawyer or just being prepared to make repairs anyways if it turns out that won't hold up.
As for the AC, the duplex I have does not have any AC right now. I told the tenants they would have to provide their own window units if they wanted. I had considered installing central air, but my HVAC guy recommended against it because of the way the house is built, it would not stay cool and I did not have any problems with tenants passing on the property because of the lack of AC. I would expect this would vary by market and the hotter the weather, the more AC would be needed.
Orlando, FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 282 votes
15y
I think it depends on the area. In Florida I've found that central AC is expected by the tenants, and the insurance companies don't like the window units. When I lived in NY people used window units and you had to provide your own as a tenant.