Funny but not funny tenant behavior during showings.

Funny but not funny tenant behavior during showings.

San Diego, CA · Member since 2018 · 31 posts · 88 votes

Ok, so this is kind of funny and serious at the same time. I work at a property management company and I do investing on the side. We recently had a very, very good tenant, one of the best we've had, so month to month after a lease expiration, because a property went on the market.  

This tenant has been incredibly helpful during all of the showings. More than any other that we've had. He's taken extremely good care of the property and helps out a lot with it.  He recently found a new place, and gave a mid month notice. He wants to be let out of the month to month periodic requirements. He gave notice last week, so his 30 days would be on November 8th, but since its periodic, that says he is stuck till December 1.  Essentially he would end up paying double rent for a month.  I have to stipulate again how helpful and kind he has been. 

So we asked the owner to release him, as we aren't re-renting and for 2+ years he's been an amazing tenant.  I personally feel we should let him go, as the property will stay empty anyhow, since its on the market.  Of course this owner disagrees and just wants to take the guys money. 

This is the funny part.  The tenant is now acting strangely when the potential buyers show up.  He wears weird clothes, sometimes he is cooking fish or broccoli.  I mean he lives there, so he has a right to cook. He has a sign he sits in the house with that says "I like Applesauce".  Sometimes he is lying in his bed in a robe eating cereal and watching cartoons.  He's clearly protesting by making the showings uncomfortable, but in a funny and very friendly way.  Thats just some of the bizarre stuff.  We all find it funny around the office.


I think we should just cut him lose, and give the guy his money.  I've always been a more spirit of the law type of person.  I think its hilarious.  I mean what else could we do to him except evict him? For what?  Cooking?  Eating cereal in bed?  HAHA.

What would you do?

21
Topic locked
293 views

Most Popular Reply

Flipper/Rehabber · Greensboro, NC · Member since 2010 · 623 posts · 615 votes
7y

@Account Closed Is it in the contract that you have the right to show the property with the tenant still in it? I'd be mad as hell if I was that tenant. I'm sure he feels betrayed.

I would definitely let this guy out of his lease and I have a ton of properties and have easily had hundreds of tenants. And I'm truly a by-the-book landlord. But, this great tenant and his referrals and testimonials will go on long after he moves out. 30-60 days worth of rent will be worth far less than his words. 

We were the great tenant in an office building for almost 2 years in a building that was basically empty other than our business. We had tons of bad experience with the landlord including a fire (that was structural issues - nothing we created) that kept us out of those rented offices for weeks. We asked to be let out of our contract 3 months early because our old offices had been renovated and were ready for us to move back in. When we originally signed our contract, the landlord knew we only needed the place until our offices were completed. We wanted a 1 year lease but he made us sign for 2 years.

At any rate, after being great on-time tenants for 21 months, he refused to give us the 3 months grace, even though we had moved out and were no longer in his building. I can assure you, we are not kind anytime someone asks our experience, and they do. What we paid him for those 3 months will never buy back the reputation he lost from us.

Business decisions are often about more than money.

18
Topic locked
See this reply in the discussion

99 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2018 · 31 posts · 88 votes
    7y

    @Linda S.

    what post are you reading?  its not this one. the guy is 100% current on rent.  he went and got a new place because he's sick of 70 people parading into the house that he is renting at top market dollar.  all he is asking is for some courtesy due to what he has experienced.  this owner is not cooperative on treating the tenant fairly. there were several things that were necessary in the house to be fixed, and the owner refused.  then when the lease was up and we put the tenant on month to month, the owner tried to offer him some one sided deal. our tenant laughed at it, and stayed month to month.  our tenant owes nothing and has paid the last months rent as he always has.  what he is doing is getting his money's worth out of this situation and making a mockery of the selling situation.  we can't do anything to him.  its just funny.  if more tenants did this, and didnt just take the abuse, things might change.  we're all cheering for him here in the office. haha.

    2
    Topic locked
  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2018 · 31 posts · 88 votes
    7y

    @Linda S.

    So, tell me....what incentive does the tenant have to leave the house for showings.  He works at home, and he's always there. If I were him (I'm a renter too, just not in this town), I would do exactly what he is doing.  He's given no incentive to participate at all.  And, you ARE in someone's home.  His home.  A lease is the definition of owning property temporarily.  Just FYI.  

    1
    Topic locked
  • Mike HurneyPro Member
    Real Estate Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 542 votes
    7y

    @Account Closed in San Diego. That's your real name? So that I never use you for Property Management.

    1. I believe you are working for the Owner and should have their interests, first. I would've reminded "Unicorn man" immediately what the rules are and that he should be asking the NEW Landlord to give him some leeway. If he's reasonably intelligent he knows it's the first of the month for giving notice and I think he's playing you.

    2. Good laugh at the office? Of course it's not your money.

    3. I'd offer the Tenant a movie pass and see if he'd take a powder during showings. Maybe have group showings to lessen any inconvenience to him.

    4. I'd find the new Landlord.....

    1
    Topic locked
  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2018 · 31 posts · 88 votes
    7y

    @Mike Hurney

    Don't worry about me big boy.  Property managers need to have the tenant and the owner interests equally.  Its guys like you I avoid personally when I look for a new place to rent. The tenant has no duty whatsoever to leave HIS property to go anywhere.  HE is paying rent. It's HIS property until the lease is terminated in whatever way its terminated. In this case, our owner is going to take it in the shorts financially. This place will not sell, and the window is going to close rapidly for the holiday season, very soon. There are reasons you offer incentives when you put a property on the market to sell with tenants in it, and you also know what affect showing an occupied property has.  If the owner was smart, he would have given the tenant notice 6 months ago, when it went month to month, and showed an empty property.  AHHHHHH, but our owner is not smart, he is greedy and asking way too much for this house, and he won't drop the price, even after professional input.  So, tell me what are the RULES?  You can't tell people what to wear In their house.  The house is Immaculate, and the tenant has taken the best care of the property. He's not playing anyone. What exactly would you do with the new landlord? LOL.  The guy has a lease already and has paid all his move in already. I'll be sure to avoid your properties if I ever need a place in Boston. NOT! San Diego is beautiful.

    4
    Topic locked
  • Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    In California a tenant does not have to give notice on the first of the month. A 30-day notice is permitted any time during the month, with the final date of occupancy 30 days from the date the notice is delivered to the landlord, according to the California Department of Consumer Affairs.

    If your owner insists on charging the tenant rent beyond the 30-day notice legally delivered by the tenant they risk being taken to court by the tenant and taking it in the shorts more than they already are.

    If I were managing the property for the owner I would refuse to collect rent for any days beyond the date listed in the tenant's notice to avoid any personal liability.

    P.S. I would also inform the tenant of this to avoid any allegations that I was acting in bad faith.

    1
    Topic locked
  • Mike HurneyPro Member
    Real Estate Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 542 votes
    7y

    @Account Closed

    Thanks. You may want to go back and read your posts, you've argued with almost everyone that took the time to comment and "The Owner (your boss) is dumb, awful, will lose money, will never sell, etc..."

    While "The Tenant is smart, resourceful, nice guy, funny, keeps the place immaculate, etc..."

    You could've prevented most of this friction but I keep seeing: "It's the Owner's fault! It's the Owner's fault!"

    It seems you're best at helping Tenants, good for you but I can see why you're still a renter.

    Consider all that for a while, there's no need to respond to me and I'll remove this post if you'd like.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Mike Hurney:

    @Account Closed

    Thanks. You may want to go back and read your posts, you've argued with almost everyone that took the time to comment and "The Owner (your boss) is dumb, awful, will lose money, will never sell, etc..."

    While "The Tenant is smart, resourceful, nice guy, funny, keeps the place immaculate, etc..."

    You could've prevented most of this friction but I keep seeing: "It's the Owner's fault! It's the Owner's fault!"

    It seems you're best at helping Tenants, good for you but I can see why you're still a renter.

    Consider all that for a while, there's no need to respond to me and I'll remove this post if you'd like.

    I don't what kind of posts you're reading, but most of us commenting are in agreement with him, that the owner is an idiot. I don't see much arguing.  

    4
    Topic locked
  • Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Account Closed,

    If you want to get into tenant rights,  get out to PM and do something more proactive.. you don't sound mature enough to respect the professional relationship between a PM and the owner.

     The  owner is your boss, you should be sticking up for him-- not some tenant that you think is wonderful because they pay on time (that's called abiding by the lease).    I get it, not your money-- not your problem,  but you're being paid by the owner, to act in his best interest-- not the tenants.     Taking it lightly, and laughing and stuff does not represent the owner well at all, I feel bad for them-- if only they could see this thread!    Heck, everyone who has a PM should see this thread.. it's appalling!  

    FYI-- A lease gives someone rights to enjoy unlimited access  to the home, not own a home.   An owner has the legal right to come into the home anytime with a 24-hr notice. .  

    2
    Topic locked
  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2018 · 31 posts · 88 votes
    7y

    @Mike Hurney

    I'm not concerned at all about what you write, its a free country.  I am a renter because I am also an investor. I bought two properties within 6 months of each other back in 2012, and sold both in Dec 2016.  I am a crash buyer.  I am a renter because real estate is nothing but a money game. I am not involved at all with the tenant. The people who took time to read and absorb have made excellent comments. Your demeaning words mean nothing to me.  I probably have more assets than you do. Good luck. No need to remove any posts.

    3
    Topic locked
  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Linda S.:

    @Account Closed,

    If you want to get into tenant rights,  get out to PM and do something more proactive.. you don't sound mature enough to respect the professional relationship between a PM and the owner.

     The  owner is your boss, you should be sticking up for him-- not some tenant that you think is wonderful because they pay on time (that's called abiding by the lease).    I get it, not your money-- not your problem,  but you're being paid by the owner, to act in his best interest-- not the tenants.     Taking it lightly, and laughing and stuff does not represent the owner well at all, I feel bad for them-- if only they could see this thread!    Heck, everyone who has a PM should see this thread.. it's appalling!  

    FYI-- A lease gives someone rights to enjoy unlimited access  to the home, not own a home.   An owner has the legal right to come into the home anytime with a 24-hr notice. .  

    Linda, you don't seem to understand that he's been trying to act in the owner's best interest, which would be letting the tenant out of the month to month lease, so that the owner can sell. 

    4
    Topic locked
  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2018 · 31 posts · 88 votes
    7y

    @Linda S.

    You seem to have problems understanding.  The tenant is not stopping anyone from doing anything.  He is living in HIS house.  It's HIS house until the lease ends.  He is doing nothing against the lease.  And you are wrong, the tenant and the owner deserve equal treatment. It's very hard to find good tenants these days, and now I see why.  Treating the good ones this way drives them out of renting, leaving only the losers.  Thank god I would never want to live in Virginia, I avoid people like you like the plague.  The spirit of the law is most important in real estate and any other time dealing with humans. 

    1
    Topic locked
  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2018 · 31 posts · 88 votes
    7y

    Exactly @Michaela G.

    We are trying.  Its the people responding who treat tenants like cattle that the real estate business should get rid of.

    1
    Topic locked
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 732 votes
    7y

    @Account Closed  

    You mentioned 

    "

    AHHHHHH, but our owner is not smart, he is greedy and asking way too much for this house, and he won't drop the price, even after professional input."

    I wonder if he hasn't sold because of the tenant dressing up like a unicorn, or the place is just overpriced. Has he received any offers? Market in SoCal still seems pretty hot , so I'd bet a lot of buyers would be willing to overlook an eccentric tenant.

    2
    Topic locked
  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2018 · 31 posts · 88 votes
    7y

    @Joseph M.

    Home has been for sale since May, Unicorn outfit only started last week.  Over 60 or so showings in 6 months prior to our tenant giving notice.  Very over priced. No offers at all.

    1
    Topic locked
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 732 votes
    7y

    @Account Closed , yeah it must be very overpriced . 60 or so showings and no offers is pretty nuts. I guess since he's had it rented he isn't in a rush to sell since it's been bringing in rental income ..but who knows when the market will change. 

    2
    Topic locked
  • Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    Working in an owner's best interests and calling them stupid and greedy for ignoring your advice are not mutually exclusive. Trying to negotiate with the tenant to get them out as soon as possible so that you don't have to show property with a tenant in a hotdog suit is also working in the best interests of the owner.

    3
    Topic locked
  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @John Smith:

    Working in an owner's best interests and calling them stupid and greedy for ignoring your advice are not mutually exclusive. Trying to negotiate with the tenant to get them out as soon as possible so that you don't have to show property with a tenant in a hotdog suit is also working in the best interests of the owner.

     Did you read the multiple comments, where it's been explained that the owner is not willing to negotiate ?

    3
    Topic locked
  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2018 · 31 posts · 88 votes
    7y

    @John

    @John Smith

    Yah there isn't anything we can do with the tenant.  The owner is not willing to cut the guy any slack whatsoever. 

    0
    Topic locked
  • Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 5 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Michaela G.:
    Originally posted by @John Smith:

    Working in an owner's best interests and calling them stupid and greedy for ignoring your advice are not mutually exclusive. Trying to negotiate with the tenant to get them out as soon as possible so that you don't have to show property with a tenant in a hotdog suit is also working in the best interests of the owner.

     Did you read the multiple comments, where it's been explained that the owner is not willing to negotiate ?

    Yes I did. Of course in this case it doesn't matter since the tenant's termination date is November 8th, not December 1st. Periodic tenancies in California do not lock you in to calendar months. 30 day notices are effective 30 days from when they are delivered regardless of whether that date falls in the middle of the month.

    1
    Topic locked
  • Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 5 votes
    7y

     It's not even a matter of cutting him slack. The law is quite clear. For a month to month tenancy the tenant only needs to give 30 days notice and the notice is effective after the 30th day - NOT at the start of the next month after the 30th day. The tenant only owes rent up to and including the 30th day (which you stated was November 8th) even if the owner wants to charge him for the entire month.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Real Estate Agent · Mesa, AZ · Member since 2017 · 231 posts · 169 votes
    7y

    He needs to let the guy go. He doesn't want to be a landlord anymore hence he's selling the house. He won't sell it with a unicorn man in the house. The seller needs to get his head on straight and let the tenant go.  

    1
    Topic locked
  • Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    With the unicorn onesie, he needs a bowl of skittles labeled unicorn ****... That is really hysterical...

    3
    Topic locked
  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    I hope he has a Squatty potty

    2
    Topic locked
  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    You should refer to the property as 'The Applesauce House'

    And when the tenant moves out, you should totally give him a large jar of applesauce with a bow on top....

    2
    Topic locked
  • Rental Property Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2018 · 301 posts · 354 votes
    7y
    @Jason Albeinat this is hilarious! I don’t blam the tenant at all on this one. The homes been listed since May, he has been a fantastic tenant for 2 years and very accommodating to showing the home up till this point...unicorn on! 🦄
    0
    Topic locked