Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties
Account Closed
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Funny but not funny tenant behavior during showings.

Account Closed
  • San Diego, CA
Posted Oct 14 2018, 18:57

Ok, so this is kind of funny and serious at the same time. I work at a property management company and I do investing on the side. We recently had a very, very good tenant, one of the best we've had, so month to month after a lease expiration, because a property went on the market.  

This tenant has been incredibly helpful during all of the showings. More than any other that we've had. He's taken extremely good care of the property and helps out a lot with it.  He recently found a new place, and gave a mid month notice. He wants to be let out of the month to month periodic requirements. He gave notice last week, so his 30 days would be on November 8th, but since its periodic, that says he is stuck till December 1.  Essentially he would end up paying double rent for a month.  I have to stipulate again how helpful and kind he has been. 

So we asked the owner to release him, as we aren't re-renting and for 2+ years he's been an amazing tenant.  I personally feel we should let him go, as the property will stay empty anyhow, since its on the market.  Of course this owner disagrees and just wants to take the guys money. 

This is the funny part.  The tenant is now acting strangely when the potential buyers show up.  He wears weird clothes, sometimes he is cooking fish or broccoli.  I mean he lives there, so he has a right to cook. He has a sign he sits in the house with that says "I like Applesauce".  Sometimes he is lying in his bed in a robe eating cereal and watching cartoons.  He's clearly protesting by making the showings uncomfortable, but in a funny and very friendly way.  Thats just some of the bizarre stuff.  We all find it funny around the office.

I think we should just cut him lose, and give the guy his money.  I've always been a more spirit of the law type of person.  I think its hilarious.  I mean what else could we do to him except evict him? For what?  Cooking?  Eating cereal in bed?  HAHA.

What would you do?

Loading replies...