Votes
Anna Andreyeva
  • Fullerton, CA
Votes |
Ratio Utility Billing System (RUBS) - Implementation

Anna Andreyeva
  • Fullerton, CA
Posted Nov 1 2018, 07:59

I would like to hear from anyone who successfully implemented RUBS at their property, on their own (without a RUBS billing company). 

Which bills did you include? (water?gas?trash?all?) 

How did you break down the bills? (same per unit, per number of occupants (any difference for adults/kids), SF, number of bathrooms) 

How did your tenants handle the matter? (did you get push-back?, did any tenants actually choose to move out?) 

Did you have onsite coin laundry, and if yes, how did you handle removing the water/gas expense from the overall expense? 

Was there anything that you tried with RUBS that seriously back-fired? 

My specific situation is as follows: I have a four-unit building in southern California, with one water meter & one gas-heated water tank. I do not want to invest in sub-metering unless there is no other way. I want to pass on the trash, water (excluding sprinklers and the coin laundry) & gas used to heat the water expense to tenants. In the 3 out f 4 units the rents are under-market by about 10%. All together, the expense I will be passing on is about $400, so roughly $100 per unit if split evenly. I was thinking about splitting the cost per resident, but something irks me about penalizing people for having kids. 

Thank you!