BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
I just finished reading one of the most incredible and shocking articles for the real estate investing industry. It is about a "professional tenant" (read: dirtbag) who may just be the worst there is.
If you are a current landlord or are thinking about it, please take the 5-10 minutes it'll take you to read this article.
We've had many great posts on our blog and the forums about how to deal with tenants set on ripping you off, but I think we must discuss this particular case.
Be sure to read the comments below the article as well . . . (most disturbing, IMO)
Residential Lender · Irvine, CA · Member since 2011 · 56 posts · 34 votes
15y
Wow, that's pretty scary. I hope other would-be professional tenants don't get any ideas. One way to defend yourself against the "deplorable conditions" issue is to photograph your unit before the tenant moves in and have them sign off on a document that everything is in working order.
Rehabber / Flipper · Simi Valley, CA · Member since 2010 · 597 posts · 259 votes
15y
Wow. You really have to be take care in choosing tenants. The last thing a good landlord needs is a parasite like this. I think there is something wrong with a system that allows these leeches to continue this kind of nonsense.
And you're right, some of the comments posted are sadly infuriating.
Residential Lender · Irvine, CA · Member since 2011 · 56 posts · 34 votes
15y
Wow, that's pretty scary. I hope other would-be professional tenants don't get any ideas. One way to defend yourself against the "deplorable conditions" issue is to photograph your unit before the tenant moves in and have them sign off on a document that everything is in working order.
Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 903 votes
15y
It would seem that this guy has a number of evictions on his record, which would all come up in a credit check. How this guy has been able to burn that many people, is somewhat mystifying to me.
Real Estate Investor · Sparks, NV · Member since 2008 · 45 posts · 28 votes
15y
The strange thing is that with his knowledge of the legal system he could work as a paralegal and spend much fewer hours earning the money to actually pay his rent instead of suing landlords. Sounds like a psychological disorder.
The problem we as landlords face is a bad tenant will keep looking for a place to live until his lies are believed by some unsuspecting landlord. So even if the percentage of really bad tenants is small, they apply more than anyone else. If a landlord is the slightest bit lax with screening, they are sure to get a bad tenant who has been rejected by everyone else. Scary stuff.
Once I talked to a "former property manager" who was referenced on an application. he went on and on about what great tenants these people were. Then I looked up the owner of the property they had lived in on the county assessor website and talked to the owner. She told me these people destroyed her house and stopped paying rent. The "property manager" was actually the brother in law of the tenant.
Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
15y
This doesn't seem like something a good old-fashioned a$$ kicking wouldn't solve....I could see Williamson County landlords or even some of the police doing that in my neck of the woods ;-)
Landlord · Seattle, WA · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
15y
It is because of tenants like this that I advocate a good understanding of the Landlord-Tenant laws. This guy though uses the legal systems like a high paid defense attorney. Very hard to combat that. The only defense I see is to screen out a tenant like this.
Understanding the Landlord tenant laws and good screening procedures will go along way to prevent this situation.
Altus, OK · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 690 votes
15y
This guy should be locked up in jail for abusing the court system for his own greedy purposes.
Idiots like that make tenants overall look bad.
Probably a good idea for landlords before renting to a tenant to make sure they either get pics of the properties condition beforehand or maybe a video going over the whole homes condition.
Of course doing background checks with other landlords in addition to credit checks would be a no brainer.
Real Estate Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2008 · 148 posts · 22 votes
15y
Originally posted by Bryan Hancock:
This doesn't seem like something a good old-fashioned a$$ kicking wouldn't solve....I could see Williamson County landlords or even some of the police doing that in my neck of the woods ;-)
Bryan,
Now you're speaking my language. This guy needs a visit from A$$ Kicking Central!
Unfortunately, NJ is dealing with an extremely bright, albeit cunning foe. He understands the law and uses it for his purposes. However, that does not make his actions morally defensible.
Landlord · Seattle, WA · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
15y
Seems to me there is already a long line of people that would like to do the a$$ kicking. Unfortunately that would probably enable him to mooch for another 20 years while he takes everyone to court.
Real Estate Investor · NY · Member since 2008 · 313 posts · 87 votes
15y
If they didnt pay him welfare he would have less time to be in court and have time to get a job. Also if they would start charging him court fees as well I bet he would stop his bs. Article just highlights some problems with our system.
Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
15y
For some reason we don't seem to have these problems in Texas....or at least I haven't ever heard of them. These "professional tenant" articles always seem to be in certain states .
Real Estate Investor · Canton, ME · Member since 2011 · 1 post · 0 votes
15y
Originally posted by Mark Fitzpatrick:
Wow, that's pretty scary. I hope other would-be professional tenants don't get any ideas. One way to defend yourself against the "deplorable conditions" issue is to photograph your unit before the tenant moves in and have them sign off on a document that everything is in working order.
This is an ideal way to protect yourself from unsavory characters like this one. I've heard of people using video as well.
Real Estate Investor · Reno, NV · Member since 2009 · 2 posts · 1 vote
15y
Originally posted by Bryan Hancock:
For some reason we don't seem to have these problems in Texas....or at least I haven't ever heard of them. These "professional tenant" articles always seem to be in certain states .
Bryan, I agree that it is certain states. California is full of this and where I have some experience.
Even though you want to avoid political debate, the issue is completely and entirely political. The legislation and the courts are set up to be enablers of these miscreants. Without the laws in their favor they would likely need to find honest work.
Lender · Tyngsboro, MA · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
15y
Originally posted by S J:
This guy should be living rent-free in prison. Long-term lease.
He'd probably file a complaint with the system on the living conditions. Ha! See how far that would fly.
This is very disturbing. It's particularly disturbing that one landlord inherited the tenant when she bought the building. There is no way to screen for that. It's probably why the seller sold in the first place.
Real Estate Investor · East Aurora, NY · Member since 2009 · 70 posts · 22 votes
15y
I've had a similar tenant - the last time I ever let a Section 8 tenant rent! I think tenants are getting smarter and with the Internet can take advantage of States where laws favor tenants.
In NY where I've bought some foreclosures I've been very reluctant to buy houses where the properties are not vacant because of concern about these type of people
Investor · CA · Member since 2010 · 150 posts · 40 votes
15y
Originally posted by Ann Bellamy:
Originally posted by S J:
This guy should be living rent-free in prison. Long-term lease.
He'd probably file a complaint with the system on the living conditions. Ha! See how far that would fly.
This is very disturbing. It's particularly disturbing that one landlord inherited the tenant when she bought the building. There is no way to screen for that. It's probably why the seller sold in the first place.
You joke about that, but look what's happening in CA. We're letting a bunch of inmates out because of the living conditions.
I'm going to forward this article to my PM company, so they understand that people like this are around. Then make sure that they stick to their tenant standards and to NOT make an exception, because someone is a sweet talker.
So, if you were in this case, what would you do? Would you let the house go? Would you continue paying the mortgage, and all the repairs, plus legal fees?
For some reason we don't seem to have these problems in Texas....or at least I haven't ever heard of them. These "professional tenant" articles always seem to be in certain states .
AMEN I'm with you Bryan, someone aught to give him hell!